SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 3 of 7 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to keep bombarding the BBS with newbie questions, but if you never ask.....

I was looking at some real reasonable used YZ250s and the like and I was wondering if anybody is racing them as tards?

Before taking the plunge on an expensive bike, I was thinking it wise to test the waters for a while and it seems that the smokers are easier to find, cheaper to buy and rebuild and since I have to learn how to ride with a foot sticking out anyway a new bike won't much matter.

Are the brake kits and wheels just as available for the 2 strokers or is this foolish?

Brian

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - that is the information I was looking for. Very doable, but maybe not the best choice out there for a race platform, but very possible. Cool :)

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that's the plan - find a cheap well maintained dirt bike and do a full on race conversion. I was at the KTM dealer today and climbed all over one of the new 690 SMs - and it is very sweet, but it's $9,000 plus tax, freight, set-up etc and they are not dealing as they are selling them as fast as they hit the floor.

I think tht a nice YZ250 would be a fine first motard race bike, and if I get real hooked I can use the wheels / brakes on a 450 later! :D

1 - 3 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.