SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to keep bombarding the BBS with newbie questions, but if you never ask.....

I was looking at some real reasonable used YZ250s and the like and I was wondering if anybody is racing them as tards?

Before taking the plunge on an expensive bike, I was thinking it wise to test the waters for a while and it seems that the smokers are easier to find, cheaper to buy and rebuild and since I have to learn how to ride with a foot sticking out anyway a new bike won't much matter.

Are the brake kits and wheels just as available for the 2 strokers or is this foolish?

Brian

· Registered
954 Posts
One of my best friends rides a YZ250 supermoto. He loves the damn thing. We ride at Batavia, NY, where the asphalt is tight and technical, he has no problems keeping up with my on my 450sx through most of it (although most of that is because he is a much better rider than me, but if you ever tell him I said that, I'll kill you!)

Two smokes aren't my bag, but for you and your eco-terrorist buddies, you are not alone.

I believe APA has, or had, a two stroke YZ250 at one time.

FYI, ALL YZ wheels 99 and up are interchangeable. Even between two and four strokes, so finding wheels won't be that hard for you!

Good luck!

· Registered
167 Posts
I built one last year b/c I had the bike already. The bike was fun as hell. I never got to race it. (only started this year) but on the tight cart tracks you should be OK. bigger road race courses (pocono east/ summit jefferson) the bike would run out of steam real quick. I miss the bike alot and the only reason I have a 4 stroke this year is b/c it blew up on summit jeffersons front straight. After it blew up I took the wheels off and put them on the 99 yz 400 I bought with no mods. 99 - 08 YZ's 2 or 4 stroke can all use the same wheels.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that's the plan - find a cheap well maintained dirt bike and do a full on race conversion. I was at the KTM dealer today and climbed all over one of the new 690 SMs - and it is very sweet, but it's $9,000 plus tax, freight, set-up etc and they are not dealing as they are selling them as fast as they hit the floor.

I think tht a nice YZ250 would be a fine first motard race bike, and if I get real hooked I can use the wheels / brakes on a 450 later! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.