SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys gotta couple quick questions regarding oil changes on my
610sm. Questions I should know the answer too!

1) I did an oil change on my bike today (3rd one total), so when
I drained all of the oil out, I was going to also clean the bag
filter by the shifter for the first time. I accidently took off the wrong cover, thinking the bag filter was in there. I took off the cover by the shifter with the 'H' in the middle of it with 3 allen screws. After I did that a bunch more oil came out. I just want to make sure I did'nt
accidently drain some other oil that I should'nt have. Is this the same engine oil that I thought I already drained out? Or is this something else I drained that I should not have? I know dumb question, but I don't want to risk wrecking my bike. Hope I'm explain this ok??

2) When I refilled this time, I put 2 liters in, but now the
see-through oil checker is full when the bike is upright. Should
I drain some oil out, or should I be ok? I usually check while I put
the oil in, but thought it would need 2 full liters this time for sure.

Help me out bro's! :bike:

·
Registered
961 Posts
You're fine.

You may want to drain a little oil out if that gives you peace of mind.

Just put in 2 quarts next time (with a filter change).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Run the engine for a 15 seconds, let the filters soak up some oil. Turn off, walk away, return in 5 minutes. If she's still over filled drain a little using the hex bolt (it drains slower than the allen head).

All good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ah right on, thats smart! Thanx guys.

speaking of oil and questions....any of you guys having trouble with your fill plug dribbling out a tiny bit of oil while riding? It's not a lot, but enough to be annoying. I've replaced o-rings, tried bigger rings, etc and nothing seems to be fixing the dribble :headshake

Just did my first FULL oil change last night and holy crap the main bag filter was a mess!! The smaller one on the clutch side was quite clean though...that should be a good sign.

·
Registered
74 Posts
speaking of oil and questions....any of you guys having trouble with your fill plug dribbling out a tiny bit of oil while riding? It's not a lot, but enough to be annoying. I've replaced o-rings, tried bigger rings, etc and nothing seems to be fixing the dribble :headshake

Just did my first FULL oil change last night and holy crap the main bag filter was a mess!! The smaller one on the clutch side was quite clean though...that should be a good sign.
Yup, I got an o-ring from auto parts store that is bigger than the stock one.. it is just smaller than the lip of the cap.

·
Registered
506 Posts

When I did my first oil change, the screen filter by the shifter had a lot of what looked like gasket material with a little gear grindings too. No trash since after 5000 miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts