SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I introduced myself a few weeks back and mentioned I had picked up a clean 1999 KTM 380sx. The bike had approximately 50 hours on it when I purchased it for $1,200 bucks last summer; I think it was a fair price. :headscrat
I've been riding everything and anything for years and I've always been in love with big two strokes. I'm in a position where I do not have a lot of free time to ride (single dad) so my street bike (1125r) is on the way out and I am thinking I want to build a strict play-bike for those days and occasional weekends I do have time to load up the bike and take it somewhere to to have fun. I've spent a lot of time on the track, down at Deals Gap/tail of the dragon, etc. and think it would be fun to venture into something a bit unfamiliar to me.... Plus.. I think I need to get out of the woods on dirt bikes... as I have ZERO self control when it comes to hill climbing and I am closer to 30 than 20, and I don't quite mend the way I used to.

I've thought that maybe it may make more sense to just keep it as a dirt machine, trade it and cash towards a finished sumo, just get another sumo, etc. but unless I'm told that this is truly a foolish endeavor I think I may go ahead with it. I know this isn't the right area, but if someone is interested in trading for this little monster let me know.

All that aside, from doing some digging I understand I have sort of a unique and unfortunate situation with this bikes front end.. a 17mm axle and 125mm spacing. From what I gather, any KTM rear should work OK? I know some suggest just swapping out forks, and I think I will do this eventually, but for now, I would like to put the bike together using its factory extremities. I do believe that WARP9 makes a direct plug and play front wheel option so I think I will just go that route for now.

The canidate; the 380 has been a relatively untouched specimen to this point. I threw a new set of bars on it shortly after picking it up (dropped it on a failed hill climb and tweaked the stockers), its piped and jetted but the bike has never been opened up or rebuilt, which was actually appealing to me.
Rear Subframe is tweaked a little bit but I am thinking I will do as a lot of others with older bikes do and pick up a subframe from a newer bike.

It may be a few weeks before I actually start tearing into this bike but I wanted to get my thread going as I am sure I will have a few questions and needs along the way. I have seen a few threads of this bike, so I will probably be hitting those individuals up if possible for guidance. I thank everyone in advanced for help and patience along the way. :D

I welcome and and all constructive criticism, suggestions, pointers and comments.

Thanks and looking forward to learning and sharing my progress (or lack thereof) with you all. :lol:

Thanks and God Bless.

·
Registered
26 Posts
to address your front end issue i believe any front end from 2000 and up will fit right on and that has the bigger axle that all the newer bikes use so finding wheels wont be a hassle, plus you will have a better front end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
small progress

SO! I have started making a little progress on my 380. Was going to work on a strict budget that was not going to allow for a front end swap but have now decided to open that up; I think it should be done now rather than later and will open up a lot of possibilities as far as acquiring a wheel-set cheaper as my bike is a 1999 380 sx which uses the whacky 17mm front axle and 23mm hub spacing.
This is where I have a question for some of you guys who have done lots of part swapping. I read in multiple places that it is fairly easy to mount a complete front end, tirples, forks, etc. from a CRF 250/450 onto a KTM, however, I only found a few threads relating to such and I believe that they were swapping onto a 2002+ KTM... I am interested in the CRF Swap becuase it can be had for about half the cost of a KTM SMR set up, or the likes. If anyone has any info or could confirm that I can use CRF Forks I would appreciate it. I do know that the steering tube is a tad bit longer and that a spacer would have to be fashioned.

Another option I am kicking around is a complete front end swap from an XB Buell. Haven't looked into it much.. but have owned a few buells, and think it could be a neat endeavor.

I was planning on a complete tear down over the winter for fresh powder coat, etc. but have decided to do a front end swap instead, get it riding and do the cosmetic stuff next winter if I decide I want to go further with the bike. I am also interested in switching to a newer rear sub-frame.. I saw another 380 build thread that used a newer 125 rear with little modification. Might try to find one.

Unless I can find some used and abused rims on here for my front end set up and rear I think I may go with a complete kit from Warp9. I am also looking into stator kits from a few places that can power a headlight, the rear light set up should be fairly straight forward.

Hope to get this show on the road here shortly. I just need to confirm that I can swap the forks over to a 99, then I will get that ball rolling. I also have a new header that needs to go on.

Cheers!:cheers:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts