SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 1st Build thread, i've been looking around for a while and i'm finally doing my own project. I am rebuilding and converting my Aussie RMX250 to street/supermoto.
Ive had the bike since i was 17 and i'm 21 now, the bike is fully stock and has been registered before.
My plan is to rebuild every part of the bike and get the most out of it that i can.
First i will do the engine (Top and Bottom) and then work on the suspension/brakes/frame/wheels/wiring etc.
So ill start with the engine, the bike stock is very good down low and has a wide powerband and great wide ratio gearbox but is lacking peak hp, i think this is due to the cylinder (small exhaust port and style of powervalves) and heavier flywheel. I spoke to a guy at 2stroke performance and he reakons there is no point porting it and doing head work because of the design of the Cylinder. Possible performance power mods - depending on head, new Reeds/carby/exhaust/head work(porting and squish clearance/carby oval bore/possibly stroker kit/flywheel/timing). At this stage anything is possible just trying to find my best options. I really want a more powerfull hard hitting motor, this bike will see the road racetrack and sometimes trails, as well as zipping around the roads but it is mainly for THE FUN ! I have a few questions and will need help on this one because i am thinking of swapping the cylinder and head with one from a 90-95 rm250 or a older rmx250, i need to know which one will fit so i can get the shop to check out the layout of the cylinder and tell me about what they think about the gains. With a rm250 cylinder exhaust fitment might be a problem possibly one will fit off a different year rmx, but im happy to make custom mounts and bend the exhaust if power wont be affected. With the flywheel can i swap it for a lighter one considering it powers all the lights instead of just timing.
My goal power wise is 50hp at the wheel but more would be awesome !! Is this even possible ?
I hope to finish in about 1 year and provide dyno charts.
Its abit of a essay but all help will be appreciated if theres any rmx/rm250 experts and owners.

·
Registered
561 Posts

Congrads they have those here in NZ, been looking for one but they don't come up for sale often.
Hands down the best cold school 2 stroke bike to motard in my opinion.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Head pipe

The 95 rm250 pipe and head fit, check on the net for info, those conventions are great trail forks, buy a fork brace if you won't to keep the old school look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 95 rm250 pipe and head fit, check on the net for info, those conventions are great trail forks, buy a fork brace if you won't to keep the old school look.
Thanks for that , do you know anyone that has done it and if it will increase hp? Its hard to find information on it, im still deciding weather to use the stock head or change it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts