SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a few KTM 440's with intention to make it a motard and I was wondering if any of you have done it, and if putting new front forks off a newer ktm, plastics, wheels tires and brakes would be enough. If so what forks would work, plastics and what wheels?
Thanks.

·
Registered
913 Posts
if you arent familiar with KTMtalk.com you should be
look at some of the post count of the members there.Apparently they spend more time around the Orange bikes than they do people

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have ridden my 440 EXC in sportsman trim and it was insanely fun.
KTM talk has a whole section for Oldies but Goodies/Big Bore. There are a couple people there who have played with supermoto but mostly they are dirtbikers.
But for info on what parts swap with what they are a good source.

If you are doing it for fun I highly recommend it (the 440). But if you think you are going to be fast I think it is the wrong choice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is a timely conversation.I'm looking at a pristine 95 440mxc in the thought of using the engine for a funbike.I have an old Honda rs250 gp bike frame.I'm torn between the 380 and the 440.Why do you say the 440 won't be fast?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It has too much power and it hits very hard. That makes it hard to ride fast but very fun.
Big bore two strokes are awesome, but around a race track they are usually out paced by a four stroke.
The "95 440 in my opinion would make the best race/fun bike. it hits harder then the '94 440 and revs out way better then the 380.
I am not saying it won't be fast, just that a four stroke would be faster around a racetrack (but not as much fun).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks.Exactly what I'm after.I used to do alot of MX back when 2 strokes ruled the world.I watched Decoster on his 193 lb rm500 win Unadilla in 1973.The open class tore up that farmers field better than his tractor.I agree about your assesment of open class smokers. 300-360cc is plenty for mx.This bike is gonna be a minimono I can get registered as a KTM.Imagine a 200lb streetbike with a 440?

·
Registered
557 Posts
im used to riding all big bore (yz465, yz490, yz450f, cr500's) and all i can say is that the nastiest big bore 2T ive ever rode was the KTM 440 . just pulled and pulled and got faster and faster till i let up... what a freakin monster... :clap:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Now that I finished hijacking-to the OP-there's a set of KTM Behr sm wheels on Fleabay right now.Send your suspension to an expert shop like Traxxion if you're serious.Rebuild/respring/revalve,maybe even drop it down a few inches.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
im used to riding all big bore (yz465, yz490, yz450f, cr500's) and all i can say is that the nastiest big bore 2T ive ever rode was the KTM 440 . just pulled and pulled and got faster and faster till i let up... what a freakin monster... :clap:
I love my '95 440 and I will never sell it. It is bad a$$.
They don't make 'em like that anymore.

In the dirt wheel spin absorbs much of the power, but when hooked up on pavement even with a sportsman set up it wheelies everywhere. And I suck at wheelies.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Man I would have never thought to see a thread like this, in Tech/Setups...

I would have figured the KTM section would be fine... And have more traffic...

Here's a good start.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?119042-550-Two-Stroke-Sumo-Build

And I've read... Hold on a sec...

They are fantastically reliable bikes - old articles referred to them as 'the most reliable motor' out there. They do not get great mileage though - my 440 EXC has a 13 liter tank (3.43 USG) and has a range of maybe 65-70 miles. (19-20mpg, you'll have to convert to km/l)
The 550 is a beast, but with enormous torque. The 440 is on the same bottom end, but with a 500's piston and shorter stroke. WAY shorter stroke, it's shorter than a 300's. The 440 has a delicious midrange, and the motor just wants to rev... tremendous fun.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-819794.html

So that tells me the 440-550 frames are identical. So searching for the 500 and 550 might yield some more results...

hope that helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not my thread ,but thanks for the tips.I picked up a pristine 95 440 with only 15 total hours on it.$1750- best cash I've spent in a long time.It's way to much fun.Killer engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
95 ktm 440 is one hell of a machine

i have a 95 ktm 440 i love it and am rebuilding it. the bottom end is bad and needs replaced. there is a 94 ktm 440 bottom end for sale on ebay. i just want to know if there is any differences from the 94 to the 95 version anybody know???:headscrat

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yes they are different.
The 94 I think had more flywheel and rev'd slower, but was more tractable and even. The 95 rev'd quicker and was more brutal.
Looking at a parts fiche would be the long way to answer your question, comparing part numbers. Going to KTMTalk would be the easier way.
As mentioned, if you go to the oldies section of KTMTalk you can get more info about the 440 then you could need.
What about the bottom end is "bad"? Unless the crank journals are scored beyond repair it is usually a matter of new bearings and seals and the bottom end is good to go.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
As mentioned, I have a 95 440, and it is awesome. I have done a little SuMo in sportsman trim on it and it was stupidly fun. I have thought many times about building a road racer with that motor in a different chassis. I am seriously jealous of your RS440.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The formula so far- 1987 rs250rf frame(1 of 29)
1995 440 mxc
BST sumo wheels 3.5/5"
ISR calipers
WP suspension from one of the REDBULL 125's
rs125 tank and ......about 190-200 lbs wet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts