SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been lurking here for a bit, finally decided to become a member and start a budget build. Now before i start, i just want to say that this will not be a "true" supermoto, this build might even make some guys a bit mad, but when it's done it should be pretty cool.

I'm 15, and have very limited cash (my only income is from mowing lawns). So instead of a 17x3.5 front and a 17x4.25 rear, I will be using a second set of stock hubs, and lacing a 18x2.15 rim to the front and the rear.

Now lets get started.
Here is the bike i will be using: 1986 Suzuki SP125 in like new condition.Bought it for $900. This pic is from the day i brought home

And this is the bike as it sits today (new mirrors, tires, turn signals, cut fender, hand-guards, painted forks and swing-arm, uni air-filter, and some other little things)

Picked up a set of wheels off ebay for $100 and they showed up two days ago. I thought i would be able to re-use the rear rims spokes but it turns out they were really corroded (out of the 36 that i tried to get out with lube and an impact driver, only 4 came out), I ended up just cutting the hubs out with a Dremel. Oh well, i found a set of OEM spokes for $35 shipped on ebay. I'm also going to clean and re pack the wheel bearings with grease before they go back on.

Front hub and rotor:

My plan is to paint the hubs and nipples the same blue as the seat, and everything else will be black

I ordered a XR650L used rear rim off ebay for $20 shipped. That along with the new the spokes came in today, so i started lacing it to my rear hub to see if i will need to re-drill the holes.

Finished lacing the rear rim. Everything lined up perfect! :bannana: Going to disassemble and paint it if it ever stops raining lol. Also my brand new front rim and spokes get in tomorrow! I got a killer deal, $100 for both rim and spokes. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Parts 'n Paint

No love for the SP? :(

Anyway,
Got my front rim and spokes in, but the company sent me half of the wrong spokes :damn: Also started to paint. Got a coat on the rear rim and on the rear hub.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drilled out the front hub holes for the new spokes to fit. Also had to change the angle of them a bit.

Threw a coat of paint on the nipples, and finished the rear hub. Looks pretty good for rattle can paint :thumbup:

I put of coat of paint on the front hub but forgot to take pics. Anyway the rims should be completely done mid next week, then i just have to find the right tires

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finished up the wheels, and started truing. Also got my tires in. 110/80/18 front and a 130/70/18 rear.

My ghetto truing stand

Front tire

For the rear i went with a tire that had a wider contact patch, so that when it gets squeezed into the rim i will have a tire doesn't look like a mountain, if that makes sense

The rubber pieces that protect the tube from the spokes will be in on Friday. Should have this project wrapped up by this weekend or early next week. :thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
You started with a really clean bike. Very impressive on-the-budget work so far. Can't wait to see more progress. Keep at it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks man, been following your build as well
thanks, I really like your trueing stand, that is seriously quite brilliant. It does look like the spray paint didn't hold up on the nipples, especially since you have to get a wrench on them. Good progress though so far. Keep it up

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, I really like your trueing stand, that is seriously quite brilliant. It does look like the spray paint didn't hold up on the nipples, especially since you have to get a wrench on them. Good progress though so far. Keep it up
Yeah, the paint on the nipples just kinda disintegrated, even before i started the tightening process. Most likely cause of whatever their plated with (Zinc maybe?).

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Man, that bike brings back memories. I bought a new 1987 DR125 in 1988 with the proceedes from selling my GI JOE collection, my old XR100 and "grass $". I was 14 and bikes were already a huge passion. Great work, enjoy!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If I am honest the bike looks a lot better in the first photo, all those stickers just made it uglier imo. Keep up the good work :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I am honest the bike looks a lot better in the first photo, all those stickers just made it uglier imo. Keep up the good work :D
Were you never 15? Every teenager knows each one adds at least +1 hp :bannana:

I'm building up my sticker collection and mine is gona get bombed as well, fancy graphic kits don't do anything for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wheels are done!!!!!

Went to my local shop to get the tires put on. What we thought would be a twenty minute job turned out to be 2 hours, the mechanic said it was the hardest set of tires he had ever put on in his 10 year career. After we finally put them on, they wouldn't seat right. We had to bake them in the sun for 30 minutes and then pump them up to 110psi to finally get them to seat. Lesson learned: Street tires don't go on dirt rims.

They turned out awesome though, and I'll be putting the wheels on later today, pics will be up tonight. (I was thinking of painting the sprocket bolts black and the rotor bolts blue, what do you guys think about that?)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Were you never 15? Every teenager knows each one adds at least +1 hp :bannana:

I'm building up my sticker collection and mine is gona get bombed as well, fancy graphic kits don't do anything for me.
Although your bike did look very clean in the first photo. I don't blame you for wanting to sticker bomb it. I did the same thing to my KTM 690 and I'm 29. Makes it look more like a sponsored race bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's done

Put everything on today, turned out great :D I was worried that the rear would look too narrow but i think it looks fine. SOOOO MUCH GRIP, i rode it around and it's night and day compared to the dirt rims. Total cost was $374

Close ups

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great job. It looks awesome.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks great. Good job. Is the fender crooked? or the plate bracket? something seems odd there.... maybe angle of the pic.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts