SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all. Ive been a member since i first rebuilt "my baby." its been about 6 years since i completed the first rebuild. there was a subsequent second rebuild over the summer of 2010 to fix a cracked frame. frame damage was more than likely due to the the massive power gains from the rebuilt engine and gyrational forces from hard cornering . engine got the full treatment(oversized piston, new rod, all new bearings, new valves, rocker arms/shafts. same with the tranny. basically, anything that wasn't within honda's specifications got replaced, 2/3 shift forks, all bearings, cam chain, tensioners, all new cables, stock rear wheel was powdercoated, then laced to stock front hub. 320mm rotor, with modified xr600r relocator bracket. Jetcoated and wrapped exhaust with supertrapp, no airbox/battery, pod air filters with custom jetting, 17" x 4.25" rear wheel, powdercoated as well, then laced to stock rear hub, reinforced subframe, custom oil cooler and lines, progressive fork springs, rear shock from an xr600, forks and shock set up firm, powdercoated frame, swingarm, fork lowers, triple clamps, i can keep on going...if y'all want.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
much appreciated from all. i believe i purchased the bracket and disc for an xr650r. check that the one ur buying has the same four hole pattern for the disc as ur hub. the only way to get everything to fit and work, was to drill and cut( as little as possible) the bracket to mate to the caliper. lots of dry fitting!! the bracket ended up going on to the caliper upside down. then mount them as a unit onto the fork leg (this is how it mounts and is removed).clearance is minimal between caliper and front rim, with a 3.5x17 mounted between the stock fork lowers. the system is bullet-proof. hope this helps, if not, ask away:)

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
some more info on this bike...
the first rebuild included most of the major engine work. rocker arms, camshaft, valves, guides, springs, 101mm piston, connecting rod, every bearing replaced, shift forks, etc... it also included the removal of the air box, battery,and anything on the frame that was no longer needed, wheels were done, brake upgrade, paint, powder coat. added an xr's only temp gauge dipstick, found that my oil was cooking. about the same time, i broke the frame. that put the mighty xl back in the garage for a few years before it was resurrected. during that time, bought an 06ktm 950sm, to keep me sane. put 10k on that. skip forward to summer 2010, and the second rebuild was to commence to fix the two issues: engine/oil temperature, and frame strength. i was given an oil cooler off a 996 superhawk. i fabricated hard lines to add the cooler and welded a u bolt on the frame as a hard mount. to fix the frame problem, i cleaned up the entire area, aligned everything, and welded the seam, welded a half cap on the seam, then added bracing to that area as well as the the rest of the subframe to further stiffen it all up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Propa work brother! Masterfully executed!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Sweet build, I like that it has an air cooled engine which is rare to see these days. And you obviously ride it too.:bannana:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts