SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friends and I(about 10 of us) will be trying to purchase some bikes to ride at the local kart track. the idea is to be extremely low dollar, to keep it both fun and economical for the group.

does anyone have any experience with older dirtbikes, probably 2 stroke, but maybe a xr80 thrown into the mix it mostly depends on what is available in craigslist.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The old 2 strokes can work but for cheap and easy to get rolling it's hard to beat the xr/crf100. Anything post 1986 when they changed from points to electronic ignition will be best. There are as many parts/mods available as your wallet will allow.
My 2005 crf100 as it currently sits

And don't ask how much money i've dumped into this thing :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Older 2 strokes are a great way to get into the sport. You can go with a sportsman tire. It mounts to stock rims. Another route is,lacing 17s to the stock hubs. Add a larger front rotor with a relocation bracket,for the stock caliper. Then go racing..... If you pilurchase a second set of dirt wheels,you can have sumo and dirt setup for same bike. Takes about 30 min to change over.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just picked up a 1986 YZ80 for $200, it will need (at minimum) a new top end and fork seals. Then it's tires and catch cans and off I go. Around here (Seattle) a decent XR100 costs the same as a later model 80cc two-stroke, about $600-$800 depending on your flavor. The two stroke will mop the floor with the xr, so if you want fun racing without having to wait for the slow guys, try to get the same engine configuration.

As I understand the current state of trail bikes on tracks, the food chain operates in this order (fastest to slowest):
CRF150R
Any 85 two-stroke
Any 80 two-stroke
CRF150F
150cc Chinese pit bikes
125-140cc Pit bikes
Any 65 two-stroke
Any 60 two-stroke
XR100

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it works out like this. Buy whatever is cheap and toss some scooter tires for street work. Worst case is you can specify a specific tire for you and your buddies, that would provide some parity.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As I understand the current state of trail bikes on tracks, the food chain operates in this order (fastest to slowest):
CRF150R
Any 85 two-stroke
Any 80 two-stroke
CRF150F
150cc Chinese pit bikes
125-140cc Pit bikes
Any 65 two-stroke
Any 60 two-stroke
XR100

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it works out like this. Buy whatever is cheap and toss some scooter tires for street work. Worst case is you can specify a specific tire for you and your buddies, that would provide some parity.
Eh more or less if all other things are equal, but at the same time, I race with a kid who runs a KTM 65 and mops the floor with all but the 150R's and even then beats plenty of those. Also the 150F's,including chinese ones tend to be pretty hefty and get gridded with up to 190's and sometimes 85's depending on the class structure of your org.

From my experience it takes a much better rider to ride a 2 stroke fast on the track than it does to ride a 4 stroke fast on the track. If you're a 2 stroke guy maybe it'll work for you but for me I prefer 4's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts