SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! That looks so BA. How do you like the setup? Is It still pretty comfortable on the street and how does it steer?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Awesome! That looks so BA. How do you like the setup? Is It still pretty comfortable on the street and how does it steer?
sorrry dude, i should've noted it's not my bike.
it's from the link the OP posted.

..all this assuming you're talking about the pic i posted.

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
It's the Honda Fat Cat reincarnated :D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
WOO HOO!!! Golf course here I come!!!! :arsenal

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorrry dude, i should've noted it's not my bike.
it's from the link the OP posted.

..all this assuming you're talking about the pic i posted.
Bummer. Well, how do you guys Think it would handle? Do you think there would be any major concerns that should keep me from trying it? I'll probably try it, but see if you can talk me out of it anyways:bike:

·
The Mod Squad
2,613 Posts
Bummer. Well, how do you guys Think it would handle?
Look harder over there at ADV and at KTMtalk.com. There are several old writeups and discussions.

General consensus is good. But this is the internet and most people like to boast about thier set-ups whether it works or not.

To each thier own. Some day I will probly try it as well.

·
Registered
443 Posts
cheng shin makes a knobby in a 180 equivalent size, theres a pic of an r1 somewhere on SMJ with them on it
im gonna get a set for my sxv soon and do some off roading, ill post up pics and a review

·
Registered
193 Posts
Turn your supermoto into a TW200 yay!

All the disadvantages of knobbies on the street, with none of advantages 21/18 rims have offroad!

Plus a whole bunch of unsprung weight and a tire/wheel combo you'll never get balanced properly to boot!

It's a lose-lose all around, IMO. :headshake

If you "need" those tires, you should have bought a dual sport, not a supermoto. Or save your pennies for another set of 21/18 wheels and put proper DOT knobbies on them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Turn your supermoto into a TW200 yay!

All the disadvantages of knobbies on the street, with none of advantages 21/18 rims have offroad!

Plus a whole bunch of unsprung weight and a tire/wheel combo you'll never get balanced properly to boot!

It's a lose-lose all around, IMO. :headshake

If you "need" those tires, you should have bought a dual sport, not a supermoto. Or save your pennies for another set of 21/18 wheels and put proper DOT knobbies on them.
I'd have to agree. If you find a 17" full knob, it's just a rear tire mounted on the front rim. Profile of a rear is different than a front (much flatter) and probably handles pretty poorly, especially on the road, which I assume is the whole purpose of using a 17" front wheel in the first place. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, I just had my Distanzias installed and went out for a wekend trail ride with my non-sumo friends; and it kinda sucked. It was great on-raod as usuall but all the traction was gone from my "sucky" knobs that I had on previously. And not boasting at all, but the bike handles and corners just fine at normal to upper street speeds with Pirelli MT 21s on. For the guys who are hatin' don't worry, we don't all stay on the pavement. The knobs I used were pretty good at holding my favorite mountain road, these Distanzias start to chatter a little when pushed but the MT's would just slide nice and smooth like.:D And in the mud and gravel/sand stuff, no contest. Knobs are definately waaaaayy better (duh). Just my two cents. I would rather the extra set of rims but if I cant afford it in the future I'll just enjoy the benefits of the SM suspension and run the pirellis for all ocasions.:thumbup:

Oh yeah, forgot to add that running a rear on the front (for a DRZ anyway) really smoothes out the offroad ride. This was compared directly to an off-road only DRZ on back to back rides on the same trails. I'm sure the sumo suspension helps too, but was amazed at the difference. I definately recomend giving it a try if you spend any time at all on trails or dirt roads. I can only recomend the Pirelli's since they were my only knobies so far, they do seem to have the best cornering grip from what I've researched.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts