SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get some straight up dirt tires, not worried about any type of road use at all, just dirt. Cant afford to buy a dirtbike right now, but I can afford tires :D

Can I see some 17s all around? Likes dislikes? Any really major disadvantages? Pony up and buy a 250 for dirt?

Thanks guys.

Oh yeah, looking at running two rear tire pirelli mt21s in 17".

·
Registered
530 Posts
I used some shinko 244s, 4.6 rear tire for the FRONT, and a 5.10 for the REAR, 93 bucks on amazon shipped, I loved them.. They arent meant for mx, but they have a good feel when trail riding, but they also handle fairly well on the road. nothing like your street tires thou.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another vote for the shinko 244's! I ran them before I got a set of dirt wheels. They are a really great compromise, good offroad and still decent onroad too, for a knobby.

Please don't bother with the Kenda 270. Similar performance offroad but they squirm when leaned over on the street...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I probably wont be riding it at all on the street with the dirt tires on, they will be there for various week long camping trips, and a local shop will mount and dismount the tires for only 10 bucks or so, so its worth it for me. I just need decent bite off road. Im only sketchy on how 17 on the front will do with roots/ruts and stuff.

A friend runs those kendas and he seems to love them, so I may just run those. Fairly in-expensive too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I probably wont be riding it at all on the street with the dirt tires on, they will be there for various week long camping trips, and a local shop will mount and dismount the tires for only 10 bucks or so, so its worth it for me. I just need decent bite off road. Im only sketchy on how 17 on the front will do with roots/ruts and stuff.

A friend runs those kendas and he seems to love them, so I may just run those. Fairly in-expensive too.
You can get both front and rear Shinko 244 for less than a hundred bucks shipped. They really are better than the Kendas.

Take a look for yourself.
Husky on left has Kenda 270's and DRZ on right has Shinko 244's.

I have ridden both, I would definitely buy the Shinko again! I have ridden them on some pretty knarly trails around Birmingham, AL. Boulders, rocks, roots, sand, clay, steep climbs, even some mud, and I still think they do pretty well... riding with other guys on dual sports with true offroad tires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Continental TCK80
Ive run them with good results on 18/21 inch off road wheels. They do pretty good. Not sure about 17 inch sizing options

I have also seen people run the MT21 or the Michelin T63 on their 17's. Those tires look crazy overkill, but they probably work alright.

The only really significant downside i have found when running knobbies on 17's offroad is when the trail gets rough, especially uphill, the large side knobs grab (rocks, roots, etc) and jerk the front wheel around. It's easy to be thrown off your intended line if you arent able to muscle it around to hold your line.

I put knobbies on my 17's to see if i really wanted to do more dual sporting. I ended up buying a used set of 18/21 DRZ-S model wheels from a SMJ member in the classifieds. Got a great deal and it takes less than an hour to change complete wheelsets (brake pads get swapped to keep them matched up the the brake rotors for each set)

Just my experience/opinions FWIW

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MTsmith, Ill definately look into them, thanks for the picture reference.

I want to do an S wheel and tire conversion, but they are pretty spendy when they come available. If I could get the whole thing for under 500 I would still rather do that, but they just dont come around that often.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MTsmith, Ill definately look into them, thanks for the picture reference.

I want to do an S wheel and tire conversion, but they are pretty spendy when they come available. If I could get the whole thing for under 500 I would still rather do that, but they just dont come around that often.
You are exactly right, I was in the same boat.

I looked for a while and found some for $550 shipped, but that included rotors, sprocket, speedo gearbox, and two sets of tires. You can probably get the wheels alone for 500 and maybe even negotiate shipping into the deal

Good luck with the search!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts