SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 160/60 pilot power give me any adverse handling on the stock 610 wheels? I'm concerned that it will steepen the profile too much since it may be pinched on the rim. Anyone run this setup? I tried searching, but didn't get much of anything.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good deal, I had already bought them and had them mounted but that thread on chain slap made me worried (not for my wheel, for the tire). But I figured it would work fine, I had just put them back on the bik sunday night so i didn't get a chance to ride it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
wassup stephen, I still got that 160 PR I got from you. I'm also hesitant to put it on because of the angle. Last I put 160s on a 4.25 rim on my honda xr650 it turned out to be pure crap, albeit that was the uber wide qulifier. If I cant find a chep 150 to run next time around I'll probably give your 160 PR a try.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, mine's on now, so I'll let you know if the profile sucks and I crash (although it could be that I suck, not the profile). But I think it should be fine. I will scrub them in this weekend and see how they feel, I have another week to get tires before the track so I should be ok if I need to get something different.

·
Banned
900 Posts
stick to a 150
160s are no good for that rim size
i have ran 150s and 160s in a power race soft tire,,and the 150 turns in better and has a bigger contact patch
you need at least a 5 inch rear rim to run a 160 correctly

yes alot of dumb asses here will tell you something different but i speak from experience ,just cause it will go on the rim doesnt mean it belongs there
a 160 will pinch in and you cant use all the tire and it weights more then a 150 too!!!!!:bike::bike:
and fyi i have custom rims with a 4.75 rear and 160 is still to big-been there done that

·
Registered
767 Posts
X2
Greenpea is on the money! I've run both 150 and 160 and the 150 was better!
A 160 will pinch on the rim and leave a smaller contact patch!
Yoneed a 5" rim for a 160!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well I guess I'm one of those dumb asses. Never had a problem with the 160 & I've been running them on a 4.25 inch rim since 2001, but since you are the professional, I'll make sure to keep my personal experiences & opinions to myself.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Well I guess I'm one of those dumb asses. Never had a problem with the 160 & I've been running them on a 4.25 inch rim since 2001, but since you are the professional, I'll make sure to keep my personal experiences & opinions to myself.
make sure you do!!

try the 150 and you will see the diff,,!
better turn ins ,lighter tire ,better profile
the edge pinches on a 160
how you can tell if a tire is the right size is after you mount it-- if the side wall of the tire is flush with the bead of the rim ,its fits correctly
if the side wall of the tire bows or sticks out passed the bead its to big of a tire for your rims size
try that on for size crack heads,lmao

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
well on my 610 i have the extended swingarm and the 170 rear tire with my stock rim... it works fine. Pea pull your head outta yer butt and smell the roses will ya! custom rims...whatever.:laughingr

yeah the 150 will be the best bet, less weight, proper size for the rim, and it does turn in better only to the extent of the type of tire ya run. probably wont notice the diff going to the 160 but if ya swap back youll notice it big time... weird huh?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I like the 160's on the stock rim. The 150 does turn in better, but I like the stability of the 160. Fugga contact patch, it doesn't pop into my mind while I'm turning. I am not sure I believe that anyway. 160 takeoffs are easier to find than 150's too. I have a couple of new Pirelli SuperCorsa 150's sitting, because I like the 160 takeoffs price and feel. Just a preference though and not better.

·
Registered
506 Posts
make sure you do!!

try the 150 and you will see the diff,,!
better turn ins ,lighter tire ,better profile
the edge pinches on a 160
how you can tell if a tire is the right size is after you mount it-- if the side wall of the tire is flush with the bead of the rim ,its fits correctly
if the side wall of the tire bows or sticks out passed the bead its to big of a tire for your rims size
try that on for size crack heads,lmao
Whatever.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
150 size tires are a better fit on 4.25x17" rims.

160 size tires are a better fit on 5.00x17" rims.

There's a good selection of tires available in both sizes.

Wider tires are not automatically better tires, unless you're focused on trying to overcome some sort of personal size deficiency. ;) Use the right size tire for you particular rim size.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A 5" rim with a 160 is the way to go. I'm running a 5" rim with a 160 m3 metzler and there is a big improvement in grip during hard cornering.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts