SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one out there explain to me what the benefit of having a 16.5" front wheel is? Do you benefit from the smaller circumference by tuning in faster into corners? Do AMA pro's use this set up? Seems like a lot of people have them, also seems like the tires are more expensive.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
It's not so much the smaller size of the wheel, as it is the design of the tire itself. 16.5" tires have a larger aspect ratio for one. A 17 may read 120/70-17 where-as a 16.5 will have an aspect ratio of 80 or more. Primary benefits are better handling through corners and reduced chattering. One of the tire guys here would have a better explanation of the physics of it, but yes a 16.5 makes a considerable difference.

They are more expensive because they are a limited production. Especially in a supermoto compound. 17's are widely produced for many bikes and it brings the cost down. When the AMA had a series...all of the factory teams, and most of the privateers ran 16.5.

I've run both sizes of front wheel in the past, and currently run a 16.5 and will not go back to a 17 on the race bike. For a street application, they are not practical.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
It's not so much the smaller size of the wheel, as it is the design of the tire itself. 16.5" tires have a larger aspect ratio for one. A 17 may read 120/70-17 where-as a 16.5 will have an aspect ratio of 80 or more. Primary benefits are better handling through corners and reduced chattering. One of the tire guys here would have a better explanation of the physics of it, but yes a 16.5 makes a considerable difference.

They are more expensive because they are a limited production. Especially in a supermoto compound. 17's are widely produced for many bikes and it brings the cost down. When the AMA had a series...all of the factory teams, and most of the privateers ran 16.5.

I've run both sizes of front wheel in the past, and currently run a 16.5 and will not go back to a 17 on the race bike. For a street application, they are not practical.
What you mean to say is " it enhances the griptivity" :rofl:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts