SuperMoto Junkie banner

150R setup questions, a few questions actually.

Tags
150r setup
3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  StraydogEOD 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I picked up a really nice 150R a couple days ago and I have begun the process of converting it.

It was setup for dirt with aftermarket wheels including excel rims with talon hubs, titanium exhaust, and asv levers with a wider handle bar.

I want to go with 17's, but how much better are they then 12's? My friend just bought a 150r that already came with 17's so I dont want to be a complete disadvantage, speed wise. If I get 17's with 2.5/3.5, what tire size do you recommend, same for 12's if you think I don't need larger rims?

Does anyone recommend lower bars or even clip-ons?

I am going with the brake caliper relocator and bigger disc, and bbr springs front and rear. What else is essential for starting out that I havent already listed?

Thanks guys

#2 ·
I started out with 12s on my 150R and switched to 17s. The 12s may turn quicker and tighter but I have never felt at a disadvantage against bikes with 12s. Having 17s will allow you to run Supermoto tracks with jumps, flat track and whatever else crazy you can come up. The 12s are really only good for short, tight asphalt tracks. I run the standard GP125 tires front and rear.
The stock suspension with BBR springs can be tuned to be decent but to really do it right you need to revalve/replace suspension. I have a complete Ohlins setup done by Livengood Motorsports that handles very well. I have 2 150Rs- 1 is stock w/ BBR springs while the other has the Ohlins setup. It is a noticable difference when u ride the 2 bikes back to back. The more talented you are as a rider the less it will matter, but I am not a pro so I need great suspension!
I would recommend a Brembo front brake master cyclinder (cheaper one with integrated reservoir) with stainless steel braided line.
I prefer the MX bar setup since it is more comfortable and you can still do other types of riding with the bike. Highly recommend Moose aluminum handguards also. They will save your controls and/or hands from getting chewed up in crashes.
Good luck with the bike,
Grant

#3 ·
All we do is mini tracks, no dirt. The track we race at is legit with wigh speed sweepers, but a few sections which has tight rights. The track also has two first gear hairpins. Norman Oklahoma, by the way.

I have raced 85's with 17's and my 85 only had 12's, I was completely outpaced. I just want to be able to keep up with him on the long sweepers and the straight.

I already purchased hand guards, they are must because I crash so much.

#11 ·
Does anyone know where I can find a chart for preload/rebound settings starting from scratch? I know a few of my sportbikes had nifty little charts in the owners manual but I haven't seen anything in either the owners manual or FSM. I have the HD BBR springs in the forks and on the shock with 5WT for now. Stock valves and I weigh about 165 lbs. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.