SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
damn KTM-parts shipped me a case of 10W-50 Motorex Power Synt 4T instead of 10W-60, they said they had an error in the website

i can send the 10W-50 back in exchange for the 10W-60, but i'm guessing the 50 would be just fine in the 60, even though KTM recommends the 60.....

what ya'll think, run the 50 or send back for the 60?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
always good to stick with what they say, but when it comes to warranty, doesn't matter, as they have no idea, but can't believe that the cross vs the power would make much of a difference, but they must have put something in the cross thats different, as the thickness is exactly the same....makes you wonder why, if the 690's are unstable motors

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found some info on it, unfortunately the link is on motorex usa's site, has to do with the slipper clutch

said this:

MOTOREX DEVELOPMENT NEWSMOTOREX CROSS POWER 4T 10W60 for the KTM 690 Single ... APTC-anti-hopping clutch as well as the twin oil pumps it sets high standards for its lubricant. ...

·
Registered
728 Posts
found some info on it, unfortunately the link is on motorex usa's site, has to do with the slipper clutch

said this:

MOTOREX DEVELOPMENT NEWSMOTOREX CROSS POWER 4T 10W60 for the KTM 690 Single ... APTC-anti-hopping clutch as well as the twin oil pumps it sets high standards for its lubricant. ...
it also has something to do with the crosspower being a non detergent synthetic as opposed the the power synth suposedly not being a non detergent. i read something about the bearings having a silver coating on them and the detergents not being good for them.

anyway... i will just stick to the crosspower. maybe its all BS, maybe its not, but i want to make sure i protect my 9,000 dollar investment.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its strange, because the 990's, duke, adventure, etc. all state that the recommended is the power synt

·
Registered
599 Posts
I just scored a case of 10-60 off ebay. comes to $10.50 per liter even with shipping.

·
Registered
275 Posts
always good to stick with what they say, but when it comes to warranty, doesn't matter, as they have no idea, but can't believe that the cross vs the power would make much of a difference, but they must have put something in the cross thats different, as the thickness is exactly the same....makes you wonder why, if the 690's are unstable motors
I started off with the Motorex 4T 10W-50, found it at CycleGear. After reading on the forums I retuned the oil and went to my dealer. They sold me Motorex Power Synt 4T 10W-60. (not Cross Power). So after reading somemore I found a guy on Thumper talk and he posted:

"re: Motorex

As per Motorex rep, Cross Power 4T = Power Synt 4T

One has a dirtbike on the bottle, the other a streetbike. Only difference.

Some KTM dealers only sell dirtybikes. And when you're wanting to sell premium priced lubricant products, I imagine having a dirtbike on the bottle is an easier sell than one with a sportbike."

So now what :headscrat

·
Registered
728 Posts
I started off with the Motorex 4T 10W-50, found it at CycleGear. After reading on the forums I retuned the oil and went to my dealer. They sold me Motorex Power Synt 4T 10W-60. (not Cross Power). So after reading somemore I found a guy on Thumper talk and he posted:

"re: Motorex

As per Motorex rep, Cross Power 4T = Power Synt 4T

One has a dirtbike on the bottle, the other a streetbike. Only difference.

Some KTM dealers only sell dirtybikes. And when you're wanting to sell premium priced lubricant products, I imagine having a dirtbike on the bottle is an easier sell than one with a sportbike."

So now what :headscrat
how do we really know that is the truth?

i'll just use the crosspower like it states in the manual and not have to worry. life is stressful enough as it is, why worry about oil. lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ha, well i just talked with my friend from KTM, he told me to go ahead and use either the power synt or cross synt, they run the power synt in all their demo bikes...the 690s, 950's and 990's

·
Registered
454 Posts
Everyone who has a 690 should use the oil that is stated in the manual. If not the warrenty will be voided. Also is states that dealer must do the service or the warrenty will be voided. If you have a good dealer have them do the first service so the bike is placed in the system. All the other services could be done by the owner if he or she gets the okay from the dealer. On another note FMF is using my bike for R&D for a complete exhaust system. Hopefully they will make it for sale to the public shortly. It should be a good alternitive to the 2,000.00 Akro systen that is offered in the upcoming hard parts catalog...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone who has a 690 should use the oil that is stated in the manual. If not the warrenty will be voided. Also is states that dealer must do the service or the warrenty will be voided. If you have a good dealer have them do the first service so the bike is placed in the system. All the other services could be done by the owner if he or she gets the okay from the dealer. On another note FMF is using my bike for R&D for a complete exhaust system. Hopefully they will make it for sale to the public shortly. It should be a good alternitive to the 2,000.00 Akro systen that is offered in the upcoming hard parts catalog...
there ain't no way in hell i would let me dealer do any service other than warranty work, first of all they don't have any Motorex oils in stock, so I know they would put something like 10W-40 regular oil, not even synthetic in it....and as far as warranty, the manual can say anything it wants, the law says different...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sounds like you have a horrible dealer. Unless you live out in B.F.E. you might want to try another dealer or contact Ktm of North America with your concerns about letting the dealer perform service on your 690... My local dealer knows I do all work on my own bikes and suggested that I have my first service at the dealership so that the bike is in the system. He would then support me if any problems happened with the bike regarding warrenty...
there ain't no way in hell i would let me dealer do any service other than warranty work, first of all they don't have any Motorex oils in stock, so I know they would put something like 10W-40 regular oil, not even synthetic in it....and as far as warranty, the manual can say anything it wants, the law says different...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, there are two dealers here that carry KTM, both owned by the same people, both don't know jack, don't carry anything, i've never went in there and got anything for my bikes or quads, never had anything in stock, not even the recommended oils, filters, etc....and everytime they look something up in the system, have a hard time even trying to located it, and then when they find it, they charge 10-20% over retail...no thanks...

and KTM won't do anything about it, i've been there, and don't forget, I know someone that works for KTM...

also, your bike is already in the computer, from whatever dealer that sold it to you, so anyone can see it

·
Registered
634 Posts

Put 9700 miles on my bike with never seeing the dealer! First they cannot force you to take they bike to preform service's! there is a law about that. Second the dealers around me in D.C. are really not that good. The closest one is an hour away. Just change the oil every 2 grand and do you maintance and you will be ok.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i went to both dealers here in town again, see if they were carrying Cross Power 4T 10W-60, even after I told them weeks ago about it, neither of them had it, one had Cross Power 4T 10W-50, so you know what is going in your machine if they do your first service for you, i'm sure it would work fine, but I don't even think they would use that, I want to know what is going in my machine, that it is filled to the right level, that the oil filters are actually changed, that the screens are actually cleaned, i've owned alot of motorcycles, ATVs, etc, and never take them to the dealer for service, but have taken them in for warranty without any problems

1 - 20 of 33 Posts