SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[/IMG]

Late last year I bought a 2010 Husqvarna SM510r and had my first track day. Just a practice at Englishtown. Bike never went back to street trim and I raced it 8-10 times over the last year.

I sold it with 900 miles on it. Bought a 2009 fuel injected KX450f for 3300 bucks with 28 hours on it. Bike was ridden by a beginner. and has a bunch of bolt ons but no motor mods.

Started buying my supermoto parts last week on friday.
Got a good deal on a 6 piston beringer full race front brake, a spare set of pads, and a 17x5 Black on Black DNA rear wheel. I ordered SME sliders for front and rear axles as well as barends. Aceribis supermoto handguards, Polysport all black bodywork, Speedgraffix numbers, some Factory Effex graphics. I bought a magura hydraulic clutch setup too. I then ended up buying a set of behr rimmed US built wheels and my tires, tubes, and rim strips today. Went 16.5 front. I am running bridgestones again and am looking forward to how they will work on the 50lb lighter motorcycle.

This winter, Slipper clutch, Tire warmers and whatever else I come up with after riding it in two weeks.

Very much looking forward to riding a 50 pound lighter motorcycle with a better front brake. Should be sweet! I plan on jumping into amateur class with it but it really depends on how the bike works for me. I have a feeling it is going to be great. I am optimistic and excited to ride it.

Attached is a shot of the bike as it sits now. 2 weeks from now, it will look much different!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
awesome! I just watched Severe Supermoto and in their extras they took a kx250f and built a race bike out of it. they were raving about the marzocci forks(of course). I would assume front suspension will be the biggest thing on your list if they are still stock. I don't think you need a 2k+ front end but a revalve front/rear maybe?

can't wait to see this thing transform.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has full factory connection setup front and rear. It was setup for a 170lb rider by the kid i bought it from. I happen to weigh 170lbs. I am going to call them at some point to let them know that I am riding supermoto with it and ask what they would want me to change.

There are 150 dollar pieces everywhere i look on this thing. Nice when you get over 2k worth of extras on a barely broken in bike for what I consider a steal for one that was stock even. Of course I just ordered almost 3500 bucks worth of parts to convert it so...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bret, did you see dannys kx450 build? he has a 5" rear with a 160 on it and the clearance is super tight.
I just looked at it but can't view any pictures at work. I have both a DNA 5" rear and a 5" rear coming from Kirk at factory pro racing. I am going to compare them in terms of offset. Kirk is confident in his wheel build. I will also be running a non Oring chain which gives you at least 1/8" extra from the chain. I expect to have chain rub on the tire and possibly wheel from time to time. We will see. No way I wasn't going 5". 4.25 is just too small for the race slicks. If I have to, I will space the countershaft and the rear sprocket a little bit. Should know next week!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
His clearance was tight between the tire/swing arm. for the chain clearance it sounds like you will be fine but maybe consider a chain slider. I had some pretty bad chain slap on my tire and within 10miles the edge was pretty trashed. I would hate to do that to race slicks:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We will see. Hoping I don't have any major issues with it. Slicks are skinny compared to an equivelent road tire for some reason. There are two guys that I know of that race with ESMRA and OVRP with kx450's and one has a 4.25" and the other has a 5" Both work fine. The 5" touches the tire slightly but he is running this massive oring chain. Neither run Bridgestones.. I will definately let you all know how it works out. Hopefully without shedding any tears..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New pictures. 5" rear is not going to work with the 165 Bridgestone slick.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OVRP in Cuddybackville NY has an open house with supermoto and a nice little flat track that I plan on hitting saturday the 10-15 . Then Englishtown NJ as Smythe mentioned on the 16th. Then OVRP has a race on the 22nd.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey bretcutler, update for ya. Found a 160/60 maxxis presa on ebay. Thing fits perfect. Ill upload some pics for ya in a few. and 13-47 gearing is damn near perfect. dont know if id wanna go any lower for my tracks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey there Work.
I put over 3 hours of at speed track time (4 hours total) on the bike between saturday and sunday this past weekend. Saturday at a short track in NY for practice and sunday at Englishtown in NJ for a race. Small fall in NY that is on the video.

I didn't want to run out of gear so i went with 14-47 and it was nice at both locations as i would stay in second for most of the short track and second to third on the longer track. Used 4th and sometimes 5th on the long straight in NJ. I am going to put the 49 on with the 14 for this saturdays race in NY and see how it is possibly. I am worried that I will run out of second gear however and do not want to have to shift third and back to second multiple times on the track if i can avoid it.

Here are some videos:
OVRP short track- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8niU...&feature=share
Englishtown NJ- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORipf...&feature=share

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up buying a 4.25 wheel and put the 165 bridgestone supermoto slick on it.

The 5" with the slick was too close for me.. Looked even meaner though. I am just going to sell one of my 5" wheels and relace the other with a 4.25 for a spare rear.

OVRP is all very similar speed which lends itself to a longer gearing to a point. I may be able to get down enough that i am in third the whole lap but not sure how many teath i will need to change to get there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts