SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plastic container where the antifreezee goes is empty so i bought new coolant so when i ooen the radiator cap . I discover that all the antifreeze is in the radiator is that normal?? Shouks i put more in the bike. Is it sopouse to stay there or go back in the the little plastic container. ???? Sorry if i miss spelled anything its a pain to do:rolleyes2: this on a dam phone lol hahah

·
Registered
302 Posts
The DRZ tank is an overflow tank, not a coolant reservoir. When the bike gets hot, it will occasionally spit some coolant into the tank, where it will sit until it is drained. I wouldnt worry about it if your radiator is full.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
You are fine!

It is normal for DRZ's to have nothing more than condensation in the overflow cannister.

I rode mine with stock coolant that way for over a year. In hotter weather, you may see a small amount back up in there, but when it cools, it typically will suck it back into the radiator and be empty.

It sort of annoyed me for some reason, so when I switched to Cool-Aid (a water wetter copy) I forced some fluid into the overflow bottle, just so I could see an inch of fluid in there for peace of mind. That way I sort of know should something go wrong and start consuming fluid.

Long story short, when cold, if the can is empty, but the neck of the radiator where the cap is is full, then you are OK.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankz guys

Thankz guys now heres the real question whats the best way to drain it hahah i bought a really expensive antifreezee and i wanna put it to use . Hahahah sorry im new to this my first bike .. Hahahah :bannana:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Every time I check in my radiator the coolant is low, nothing in the overflow either. My oil looks fine and no white smoke. This can't be normal

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Why not use it as a coolant tank.....by having coolant in it....just like your car? That way the radiator is always at the optimum level.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Thankz guys now heres the real question whats the best way to drain it
To drain the radiators / system; Just find the Aluminum (Silver) 8mm bolt on the water pump cover. This is located on the right front of the motor, behind the plastic skid plate cover. You can see where the coolant hose goes into the case. The other bolts are dark colored.

Just remove the Silver bolt and let it drain. Be prepared. The small diameter hole really makes the fluid squirt out, so don't be suprised if it pee's a ten inch stream.

To drain what is left in the coolant overflow tank (if anything), just pull the black hose. It's at the bottom of the tank so it will just empty right out. Then reattach the hose.

When re filling the system, remember to remove the 9mm bolt on the top of the left radiator. This allows the system to fill evenly and "burp" out any air bubbles out, rather than trapping them in the system while refilling the right radiator through the top cap.

And like APA said in the above post, go ahead and force an inch or two of fluid into the "overflow" tank, so that you can check the level easily, and in the event there was air in the system, it will suck in some fluid once it gets hot rather than allowing it to run low.

Good luck. And be gentle on all the above mentioned bolts. They are soft and do not require much torque when replacing them. Just snug them down... resist the urge to really crank on them. :thumbup:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quick question about this. My 07 drzsm gets hot sitting at idle like hot enough to spit coolant out my tube on bottom of bike fan kicks on and my tank fills all the way up when this happens. Only happens when at idle and sitting there for 10 MIN give or take. Any sollutions??

·
Registered
783 Posts
don't idle bike for 10 minutes? :shrug:

I keep my "resevoir" filled with about 2" of fluid.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
:Funny: Yeah, I was going to say "Don't let it sit. Move forward to get air flowing".

Hmmm. And the fan is running. Odd.

I see you are in AZ. Perhaps super high temps sitting in traffic with no air flow? I guess anything is possible in 115 deg sitting stationary for long periods.

I've seen well up in the 105+ deg range in the desert at idle on my bike and have had no such issues with my '09.

Is this running as in driving around normally, or at extended idle on start up with the choke on?

Does the warning lamp on the dash light up when this happens?

Perhaps you have air in the system. Did you "burp" the radiators properly or have you messed with a coolant change?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had a fellow junkie come over and.helped me burp her.. and its only when I let her sit for 10 15 minutes she will spit I ain't to worried about it still going up a mountain tomorrow wit fellow junkies I just won't let it sit for that long only time I did was when I ran inside the house to take a poooo and took longer turn exspected haha and came out and had a lil puddle going I was just curious y this might happen. And sry about mis types and errors I on cell phone a:rofl:nd got fat finger tips

·
Registered
557 Posts
Its called a "expansion tank" and its there for a reason... Just like any other water cooled engine. As coolant gets hot it expands n moves to the tank, as the engine cools it will suck the coolant back into the rad. Keep a couple inches in the tank n your rad will stay full. If you are pushing coolant out of the tank then you prob have a bad rad cap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts