SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 09 crf450r and want to go with a 5" rear wheel and 160 rear tire for my conversion, and my question is if this a good idea if i plan on doing street riding and some racing. i have been reading that the 160/165 slicks fit well on a 5" with not much clearance issue with the chain, but what about a more street friendly tire, will a supermoto specific 160 street tire cause problems with clearances, i dont mind putting spacers between the hub and sprocket and flipping the front but i really dont want to offset the wheel..... i would love some feedback from people with same bike and the same setup if possible..... help i need facts!!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Not that I am aware of. I have ran a little offset, a lot offset and never noticed any difference in ride or handling. Shimming the sprockets does have issues though. Chain guides, frame clearance etc.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
a 160 on a 5" fit just fine on my 2005, pretty sure they have the same spec width on swingarms for the 2009ers. no offset needed, just made a chain guard to keep the chain from slapping the wheel and chewing up the wheel

·
Registered
856 Posts
I run a 5" with slicks on a track only bike. Availability for slicks made for the 5" inch is much better. Cant offer any advice on street tires. I will say if any of this is a concern chainguard is #1 best way to keep the chain off the wheel. Then offset as needed. Honestly I don't worry about it on my track bike. It is beat to hell and tires generally don't last me long enough to worry about it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts