SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering an 08 SXV 4.5...I've ready a lot of reviews that tell me the bike is a performer. However, I know Aprilia also has a reputation with the 5.5.

Could someone please tell me about the SXV 4.5? Is it reliable? Is it very maintenance intensive? I would like the bike to ride street and some trackdays...this will NOT be a commuter bike...a pure "fun" bike.

I would really appreciate everyone's honest opinion and recommendations on it. Also, does anyone have the HP numbers? Crank/wheel? :headscrat

Thank you :bowdown:

The two bikes I am debating are the SXV 4.5 OR the DRZ400SM with the FCR 39mm carb/big bore kit. Close enough in terms of the power however, I know the Aprilia will have the endge in handling. But...the reliability/maintenance is something I do not have enough info on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check www.apriliaforum.com for the info your looking for. I have a 07 model that is set up race only and it has been bulletproof. I just change the oil and go. I have about 100 total hours on the bike and all but 10 were on the track. I have had the bike a little over a year. I also have a DRZ 400 and there is no comparison even with the mods you mention. I still love the DRZ though, just not as much as the Aprilia.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I will check out the forum. Now...how do I convince the wife :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
DRZ is a four door commuter and an aprilia sxv is a full blown race bike....one bike is basically a commuter that can drive down a dirt road......drz.....and the other is basically ready to race out of the box....aprilia

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The two bikes I am debating are the SXV 4.5 OR the DRZ400SM with the FCR 39mm carb/big bore kit. Close enough in terms of the power however, I know the Aprilia will have the endge in handling.
Say what?

60hp vs 35hp(maybe 40 with bigbore kit?) :Funny:

·
Registered
44 Posts
:boxing:drz doesnt have near the power of the sxv!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
The tale of a 57hp 05 drz sm. By Eddie Sisneros.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459108

So you would need:

94mm big bore
hotcams stg2 intake stg 1ex
41mm fcr,with correct jetting
yosh ti trs
+5mm hotrods crank,RHC 187 cams (degreed), Eddie's own porting with over size intake valves only.

- and -

approximately $4,000 to pay for all that if you have Eddie do the work.

to come close to the hp of an SXV 450 unrestricted.

Comparisons to other bikes:

run7= stock 525 ktm
run8= fully race prepped 510 husky smr
run9= fully race prepped 525 ktm
run147= this current drz
run651= a real 60hp crf 450

IMO, I'd buy the SXV 450 before I'd buy a DRZ400SM and sink another 4 grand into it - but thats just me! I think it would be less expensive as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 08 sxv450 and its awesome. Just got it derestricted and its like night and day with the power. It sucks when its not derestricted feels like a 200. But now I have an oil leak so back to the dealer to get that fixed:lame:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts