SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all fellow Husky tarders!

After a lot of reading on this portion of this superb site, I decided to take the plunge last month on an 08 SMR450 with 2,156 miles. The primary use she is slated for is canyon carving and visits to a tight closed local track, though I am a relative wuss compared to the buddies I ride with. I weigh in at around 200 lbs with gear.

Overall I love the bike and I was primed for the challenges ahead with getting her to fuel right across the RPM band. My first SM ride was a suspension tuned and derestricted WR250X with a PC5, so I can follow a conversation about programmers. I bought the Husky on ebay and it was set-up for sporty street riding in and around the Kansas City area (sea level-ish), my riding altitude here will be between 6-11K feet. When I test rode the bike in KC, it would not idle right and would sputter after warming for a couple of miles, but pulled really sweet between about 3-9K RPM. The same fueling issues persists here at a mile high and I have now recovered financially from the $3,700 purchase price to begin the "getting it right" process. The bike is stock other than a "factory power-up kit" which I believe consisted of a Lamda (resistor) plug and a single Arrow exhaust. The O2 sensor hole is capped off. I have already replaced the fuses and secured the fuse holders, a TwinAir filter and an EarthX LiPoly battery complete the current mods.

What follows are questions and comments related to information I have garnered from this site and Cafe' Husky:

-Should I start this process by replacing the fuel pump first to eliminate that as a variable? The black one from CA cycleworks seems to be the one of choice.

-There seem to be two camps regarding fuel programmers those that believe in them, and a smaller group that does not. To me it seems that once you are away from a lamda feedback loop you need the programmer and the JD 6X
seems more than adequate. But it should be set-up on a Dyno while taking F/A readings. Anyone know of a reasonable dyno equipped shop in CO now that Epic motorsports has folded?

-Should I definitely contract with someone who has an iBeat before beginning this process? The TPS hard stop set screw still has white paint on it.

-Manual cooling fan switch and special coolant additives worthwhile? I do get into traffic lights occasionally.

-Lastly, I feel the need to smear Brembo in public. Their quality reputation is very much undeserved. I am not the first owner of their POS front Radial caliper to find that seal kits are not available and a hemorrhaging caliper must be replaced with a $350 new caliper versus a $29 seal kit. I and every one I know will avoid all their products in the future. Any one out there able to cross-reference a seal kit?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments and advice!

·
Registered
725 Posts
08 450 smr

you try a KTM dealer for a seal kit on the caliper ???? iBeat works great, there are several husky dealers who service them i would get on the phone and see what you can find out. it would b handy to have a spare pump in your garage, as the aftermarket pumps are way cheaper then the factory unit. doubt the pump is your problem. while you are at it, you can secure the pump properly in the tank itself... check the husky mods on thumpertalk and cafe husky. lots of info on there. tuning for altitude will b the key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips Huskyfrk. Word on the street is that litigious lawyers made life hard on US Brembo distributors to sell kits to the general public, but I found a source in GB for a seal kit, will post results if it works out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for the tips Huskyfrk. Word on the street is that litigious lawyers made life hard on US Brembo distributors to sell kits to the general public, but I found a source in GB for a seal kit, will post results if it works out.
Try Yoyodyne for your Brembo needs. If anyone has the seals they would.

As far as the fueling goes it could be so many things. I for one have struggled with my bike since day one. I've changed fuel filters, got a tuner, had it dyno tuned a couple times, check the electrical components. Still having problems with it surging and bucking at high rpms. Beginning to think it is the throttle position sensor and only because that is the only thing I haven't checked. A lot of people have had there problems solved with the tuners though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is not what I needed to hear brandontx! On Caf? Husky, and here as well, there seem to be a many a happy camper who got theirs functioning satisfactorily.

I have been reading on the various sites the best practices in resolve the fueling issues, and am leaning towards utilizing a JD instead of a PC5 since fine throttle response is less of a concern with my application versus that of advanced off-road use. I find in the forums that before proceeding with a tuner it is really stressed to have an ibeat applied to verify TPS settings.

I have been looking at mounting an Innovate 3844 MTX L WBO2 sensor and FAR gauge with integrated controller and using it to manually dial-in and make adjustments to a JD 6X. Sales literature on the Innovate unit states that it has " (2) 0-5v fully programmable linear analog outputs for use with engine management systems ?closed-loop? and external dataloggers".

I was curious whether anyone has used this output to trim a PC5? Is the voltage range correct, I know Dynojet may have to supply the plug(s). The Innovates' sensing processing speed is supposedly among the fastest out there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I rebuilt my 2006 Husky's caliper with a universal kit and it's worked great during my last few track days. I think that kit is actually the rebuild kit proper, but it is called universal and sellers will say "maybe will work" because of the whole rebuild fiasco in the past. If you do rebuild it, make sure the seals are in right.

It looks like they're out of stock. I would contact Fred at yoyodyne anyway:

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=YB3434

This is a good video on rebuilding them and making sure the seals are in right (even though it's not a Brembo caliper):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_Id6rgP3g

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rebuilt my 2006 Husky's caliper with a universal kit and it's worked great during my last few track days. I think that kit is actually the rebuild kit proper, but it is called universal and sellers will say "maybe will work" because of the whole rebuild fiasco in the past. If you do rebuild it, make sure the seals are in right.

It looks like they're out of stock. I would contact Fred at yoyodyne anyway:

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=YB3434

This is a good video on rebuilding them and making sure the seals are in right (even though it's not a Brembo caliper):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_Id6rgP3g
Thanks Gnaghy. The guy in England was fairly certain he is sending the correct kit, he cross referenced it is for a P4 production 100mm radial caliper and the seals are stated to be genuine Brembo. I'll definitely check the video, and I have done car calipers in the past. In the Brembo literature they caution against using US DOT 5 fluid since it may swell the natural rubber in the seals, no concerns with DOT 4 and 3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brembo seal kit from GB installed and tested, so far so good

My Brembo front caliper seal kit showed up yesterday for P4 production radial mount 100mm caliper. Seller states that seals themselves are Brembo. Reseal task was a snap and so was bleeding process. Kit was not cheap, $62 counting shipping, but a lot cheaper than a new caliper which was $350. Not sure how this compares to kit from Yoyodyne that they are always out of. Same caliper installed assorted other Italian stallions, often in tandem.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts