SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i got a 08 dr-z400sm delivered to my door today, YES.... it's a boy! it was delivered with a K&N filter and Yosh exhaust. i'm going through the website's "mods" pages, and keep seeing the 3x3 mod, but can't find a thread on what the heck it is!!!

can anyone sum up what the deal with this mod is? and when is best to do it?

cheers,
alan

·
Registered
425 Posts
The 3x3 mod involves cutting a 3 inch by 3 inch hole in the airbox, or 2.25 inch by 4 inch, anything that will make a 9 sq. inch hole in the airbox for better air flow.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It is simply a 3" by 3" hole cut into the top of your airbox where a restrictive, rubber boot now resides. Remove the seat and you'll see it. There are several ways to accomplish it:

Mark it off and cut it w/ a utility knife, using a straight edge to make a nice neat opening. Heat the blade to make it melt through the plastic easier.

Heat a 3" putty knife, heat the blade w/ a propane torch, and push it through 4 times (4 sides to the 3x3 square). Done.

If any plastic scraps fall into the airbox whilst performing the 3x3, make sure you clean them out so you don't suck them into the engine. And whichever way you choose to do it, make it neat and clean. Try to acheive a factory look if you can. Go over on Thumpertalk, hit on the "search" link, click on "advanced search", type in 3x3, and choose to search the DRZ forum. You'll find more info. that you can read in a day most likely. :)

You MUST rejet your bike at the same time you do the 3x3 mod, before you ride it, or you may damage your engine. Get the James Dean jet kit (part # JDS005), the Kientech extended fuel screw for the Mikuni carb., and the allen head float bowl screws from TT.

The best time to do the 3x3 and rejet is as soon as you want your bike to run like it should. The intake is the most restrictive to the performance of the DRZ's. It's night and day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
intake

well, that explains the 3X3, thanks!

is it still necessary to do if i have the K&N filter? should i wait till my 600 mile service and then do the jet kit, 3x3, and cams all at the same time?

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
well, that explains the 3X3, thanks!

is it still necessary to do if i have the K&N filter? should i wait till my 600 mile service and then do the jet kit, 3x3, and cams all at the same time?

thanks again!

Yes, it's still very necessary to do w/ the K&N filter. The air from the outside can't get to your hi-flow filter w/o allowing it into the airbox: Outside air~>into airbox~>through air filter~>into carburetor~>into engine. The airbox as stock has a very small opening in a rubber boot protruding from the top of the airbox. It won't allow nearly enough air into your engine to satisfy it's needs to run well. The 3x3 cures that. You need to cut it exactly 3" by 3", or you'll be on your own jetting the bike. There is a large database of information based on the 3x3. If you alter that size, the jetting changes.

You should shoot for your 3x3 to look something like Bubicon's work in post #5 here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378193&highlight=master+3x3

You can wait until the 600 mile mark if you can stand the performance of your bike now. I waited 1.5 miles before I did. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts