SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the new Radiator guard/ brace for the SMC. I have no earthly idea how this installs, I removed the factory plastic louver and it won't line up with anything. It came with no install directions and only had the hardware shown in the picture. If anyone has bought and installed one please respond and give me a heads up on how in the hell this thing bolts on. The black frame is anodized aluminum, it may take a small hit but it doesn't look that sturdy to me. I may be taking it back, damn thing cost $140.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll help you guys with the translation of the wording on the packaging:

KUHLERSCHUTZGITTER = Cooler $hit Getter

Or, put another way, it's gets all the $hit that gets into your cooler. :laughingr

Sorry, I just had to say it......lol

I personally like that guard, I'll have to order one up.

Too bad there is no instructions. :rolleyes:

JOHN

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Do the two bottom holes (the wider end) line up w/ the stock mounting tabs that are on the radiator? If so it's easy. Just mount the little nut-tabs where ever they need to go to mount the top of the guard up.

The HUGE advantage of that guard that I see is that it will allow you to adjust your steering stops and greatly improve your steering cut as the stock guard is bulky and limits turning.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do the two bottom holes (the wider end) line up w/ the stock mounting tabs that are on the radiator? If so it's easy. Just mount the little nut-tabs where ever they need to go to mount the top of the guard up.

The HUGE advantage of that guard that I see is that it will allow you to adjust your steering stops and greatly improve your steering cut as the stock guard is bulky and limits turning.
Nothing at all lines up with anything. When I put it up to the radiator the way it looks like it would fit, it interferes with the steering. The lower triple clamp hits it when the bars are turned all the way left or right. I'm almost thinking it's not the right part or there is some hardware missing (bracket, screws, etc.)

·
Registered
599 Posts
this replaces the louvers or is this an addition?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i didn't even know about it, where did you get it?
I called my dealer and ordered it months ago before the bike ever came in. They did the research and came up with it but like I said I don't see how it will work if it's actually for this model bike. My reason for getting it is that if I ever laid her down I didn't want to have to replace the radiator. My background is more dirt related than street so it's dirt inspired.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took the radiator guard back to the dealer today and there was a 690 SMR there. So I walked up and held the guard up to the radiator and low and behold the damn thing lined right up. So obviously the guard is not for the SMC. I'm sure they'll have one out soon though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts