SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, big difference. It is just like comparing a carburated car to a fuel injected car. When you give a carburated bike full throttle, the engine gets a burst of fuel giving you a burst of power that usually results in a wheelie or the rear tire slideing-out which slows you down.

When you give a fuel injected bike full throttle, the engine gets a gradual flow of fuel until it hits power band. When it hits power band, the bike gets full throttle and sling shots you with no tire spin or wheelie unless intended. It is about a 1 or 2 second climb before you get full throttle going from low 3rd gear to high 3rd

This delay makes it very beneficial for racing because it allows the rider to keep the front tire on the ground and keep the rear tire from sliding-out. This results in a sling shot feeling that shoots you in a straight line with complete control.

I myself have only rode 1 fuel injected dirt bike. This was chance of a lifetime because the bike was a Pre-Production 2009 Husqvarna 450 FI.

The owner had it set up for flat track so it had the bald super-moto tires and wheels with lowered suspension front and rear. I rode it on gravel and pavement. Even giving it full throttle in the gravel made it sling shot with very little tire spin (on a bald tire).

My opinion on fuel injection; its great but the power doesn't hit until high RPM's. But when it hits high RPM's, it just wants to scream and hold that high rev until the "fat lady sings". But the carburated bikes are a snappier power with alot more bottom end for that quick burst when you need it.

My advice, wait for at least 2 or 3 years AFTER the release of FI because that will give the "after market manufacturers" time to make a computer chip to give it more bottom end. Until then, if you buy the first year FI bike, it would be just like buying the first year Yamaha came out with the YZF426 or Raptor. Buying first year bikes that are a completly new design is a bad idea because the 2nd and 3rd year they are always lighter, more powerful, and have most of the bugs worked out of them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes, big difference. It is just like comparing a carburated car to a fuel injected car. When you give a carburated bike full throttle, the engine gets a burst of fuel giving you a burst of power that usually results in a wheelie or the rear tire slideing-out which slows you down.

When you give a fuel injected bike full throttle, the engine gets a gradual flow of fuel until it hits power band. When it hits power band, the bike gets full throttle and sling shots you with no tire spin or wheelie unless intended. It is about a 1 or 2 second climb before you get full throttle going from low 3rd gear to high 3rd

This delay makes it very beneficial for racing because it allows the rider to keep the front tire on the ground and keep the rear tire from sliding-out. This results in a sling shot feeling that shoots you in a straight line with complete control.

I myself have only rode 1 fuel injected dirt bike. This was chance of a lifetime because the bike was a Pre-Production 2009 Husqvarna 450 FI.

The owner had it set up for flat track so it had the bald super-moto tires and wheels with lowered suspension front and rear. I rode it on gravel and pavement. Even giving it full throttle in the gravel made it sling shot with very little tire spin (on a bald tire).

My opinion on fuel injection; its great but the power doesn't hit until high RPM's. But when it hits high RPM's, it just wants to scream and hold that high rev until the "fat lady sings". But the carburated bikes are a snappier power with alot more bottom end for that quick burst when you need it.

My advice, wait for at least 2 or 3 years AFTER the release of FI because that will give the "after market manufacturers" time to make a computer chip to give it more bottom end. Until then, if you buy the first year FI bike, it would be just like buying the first year Yamaha came out with the YZF426 or Raptor. Buying first year bikes that are a completly new design is a bad idea because the 2nd and 3rd year they are always lighter, more powerful, and have most of the bugs worked out of them.
I agree on buying 2nd or 3rd year of a model with large changes, such as changing from a carb to FI. Although i dont know how complex the FI systems are on bikes, it is super sweet because it should compensate for temperature differences as well as altitude. No more jetting to get your bike dialed in...It would be nice especially when your settings get all screwed up when seasons change throughout the year or even through the day if you are on a long ride...It may seem like temperature isnt that big of a problem but engines are super finicky even more so with a large single...

Also a carb doesnt know anything about how the engine is running (RPM, Temp, etc.) it just meters based on the airflow going through it and the amount of fuel that is drawn by the air is the amount of fuel that goes into the engine. With FI different RPM zones will get a closer to perfect amount of fuel because it will be programed into the control. Also the FI can take into account Engine Temperature and other determining factors to alter the amount of fuel and/or spark timing (if the company puts such controls in place) making the mixture even closer to perfect...

For the most part i am super stoked that more bike manufactures are starting to go this direction because in the end it will be a better, more streetable product for all of us to ride. But i will stick to my 07 SMR until all the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would be interested in hearing from someone who has ridden an 07 with FI as well. I see them at the dealer and wonder.......

·
Registered
952 Posts
I would be interested in hearing from someone who has ridden an 07 with FI as well. I see them at the dealer and wonder.......
The 07's are carb, the 08's are FI (for the US at least)...There are some other changes as well, the frame is different and a couple others i believe.

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think in Husky's case since they are owned by BMW now, that most of the technology in the 2008 is tried and true. i doubt its a hit or miss opperation. At least I hope so cause Im picking up a 2008 soon :bike:

·
Registered
952 Posts
I think in Husky's case since they are owned by BMW now, that most of the technology in the 2008 is tried and true. i doubt its a hit or miss opperation. At least I hope so cause Im picking up a 2008 soon :bike:
Even in the case of major car manufactures (chevy, ford, toyota, honda, all of them really) there are always bugs that have to get worked out...I am not questioning that they know what they are doing or anything, I have no idea how extensive the testing was on the FI system and im sure it works well but its probably not perfect. Maybe it is just a huge myth in the car/motorcycle community but i live by it. I am also a bit jealous that i bought a 07 not knowing the 08's were going to have all the new trick stuff and i am still paying it off, haha...Keep us posted on what you think, have you ridden a 07? I would love to get someones feedback on how they feel compared to one another.

Remember the rubber side goes down...

·
Registered
96 Posts
This will actually be my first really SM i've riden. I come from sportbikes, Ducatti monster 750, Triumph 955i, and Ducatti 998. Ive been riding/racing a CFR 150f in at minimoto/kart tracks for the past 3 years and thought this would be a great way to get back into street riding and track days at bigger tracks.
If you live close to Daytona Beach Florida or come into town for bikeweek or biketoberfest Im sure we could swap bikes and go for a comparo ride. :bike::arsenal

·
Registered
952 Posts
This will actually be my first really SM i've riden. I come from sportbikes, Ducatti monster 750, Triumph 955i, and Ducatti 998. Ive been riding/racing a CFR 150f in at minimoto/kart tracks for the past 3 years and thought this would be a great way to get back into street riding and track days at bigger tracks.
If you live close to Daytona Beach Florida or come into town for bikeweek or biketoberfest Im sure we could swap bikes and go for a comparo ride. :bike::arsenal
I live out it California, dont make it to the east coast often but that would be sweet. Welcome to the Motard world, Huskys are awesome you will have a blast...Let us all know how you like the 08 when you pick her up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i have 07 FI 610 , but i can't compare it with a carb 610.

After 6000 km on it the greatest problem is about FI maps changing(+exhaust change) - i've no information about it now(i hope it's possible to get more HP) .

·
Registered
19 Posts
What about the EFI 07 with EFI 08? Any one know if there is a difference? Is there a 2nd map if you disable the L connector with the Husq kit?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is there a 2nd map if you disable the L connector with the Husq kit?

- this question has still no answer =( but is actual for me.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is there a 2nd map if you disable the L connector with the Husq kit?

- this question has still no answer =( but is actual for me.
I have heard that there is a dummy connector (that may contain some kind of electronics the jury is still out) but no one can seem to get a hold of one in the states...im sure with time the aftermarket will catch up and there will be a power commander, or another brand, for these things. I would love to see plug and play laptop tuning, i bought HPTuners for my car and it is awesome.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Also check this thread on TT where they also talk about using iBeat software- http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611412&p=6006252#post6006252
Wow awesome info...i will have to check into the software although without a dyno or at least a wideband O2 it would be hard to tune. I use a wideband in my car combined with some freeway pulls at different throttle positions RPM's etc but i also have to have my laptop in the car to log the info, that would be super hard on a bike.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Also for the guys that are worried about buying first year EFI, don't forget that Europe SM610's were fuel injected last year. So they may already have a lot of the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
2008 450/510 there is a noticeable difference to the old stuff and its not just the superb efi either. The whole bike is lighter/narrower with better ergos. The std pipe can have the baffle insert removed and you simply pull out the lambda sensor and plug in a Husky supplied link cable and away you go. Husqvarna developed this Japanese system way before BMW got wind that they were for sale.Even the fit and finish is improved. I'd say don't ride an '08 unless you have the $ (or £) to buy one...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also for the guys that are worried about buying first year EFI, don't forget that Europe SM610's were fuel injected last year. So they may already have a lot of the bugs worked out.
Its working fantastic for me. No problems at all, amazing response very good consumption.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Damn u !!! I want FI so bad lol! But cant complain my 07 runs strong !!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts