SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed an after market oil cooler to their SMR450's? I live in 100+ degree weather in the summer and don't want to take any chances with over heating my engine in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
There a few pre mixed ready to use products. Redline has one and a bunch of different ones you can pickup from cyclegear. wooks great on my dirtbike riding in this summer heat with no issues. cant use it for the track though.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I like the idea of an oil cooler not just for the cooling effect, but for the additional oil it adds to the system. Not sure if i'm going to keep mine on the street anymore, but if i did, I would seriously look into it.

I remember seeing a bunch of aftermarket oil coolers in the Lockhart catalog years ago. They were mainly for Harleys, but should work for any bike.

·
Registered
725 Posts
oil cooler

i understand the horseshoe cooler is still available from honda and e-bay.. it mounts up out of the way, just a little weldng on bracket , some rubbermounts and 2 lines. a reduction of 15-20 degree adds a lot of life to a motor like these small bore high revings singles. the added capacitiy does hurt either. too bad your not in so cal I'd offer to fab and weld up the mounts for you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
great idea and all but make sure the is no preasure loss and starve the motor of oil.
good point. maybe ok with a very small cooler, but still.
maybe put a gauge on it and measure pressure and then fit the cooler and check the pressure. ...and then maybe you got a couple holes in the engine cases you don't need. ...it'd be good to get factory opinion on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts