SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a used 07 smr 510 it has 4000 miles on it and i got the receipts from all dealer maintenance including oil changes and valve clearance checks which were done 200 miles ago and after 2 weeks of riding it it stalled out on the road. The battery was dead so i replaced that, it has spark and the carb is clean(looking through it i haven't cleaned it yet) the bike cranks well but it doesn't like to start and the few times i did get it to start it backfired a lot and seemed to heat up extremely fast (2-3 minutes) and bog down and stall as soon as it hit around 210 degrees. I did notice a break in the spark plug wire going to the coil that i was able to temperaley fix but it still does it. I have a coil on order and on its way. I hope this solves the problem it almost seems like the timing is a tad too late and it is firing on the exhaust stroke....would a bad coil cause this or am i looking at far bigger problems

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I would look at the pilot jet first if you have a starting issue. You can normally take off the tank, loosen the two carb clamps, twist the carb to the right leave it on the manifold, then loosen the bottom 17mm nut on the carb and catch the gas with a rag. The pilot jet is slightly forward in side the bowl, and can be removed with a long this screwdriver.

The pilot jet needs to have a perfect concentric circle when held up to light and viewed through a loupe or magnify. It should probably be anywhere from 40 to 42 in size, and the fuel screw is normally 2 1/4 to 1 1/4 range respectively.

The pilot jet will cause the rough idling, hard starting and running issues. No idea about the hot temps, but you can't have the bike idling and not cause hot temps. Needs air flow to cool down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up bringing it to the local husky shop and it ended up being a fried ecu, bad stator and regulator, and bad coil. They say that it must have been from trying to jump start it at a high amperage so if anyone is reading this with the same problem save yourself the pain and check the stator first if it is bad it will drain the battery and if it does start it will not advance the timing and the bike will stall if you try too many times like i did to start the bike the ecu will end up frying

1 - 4 of 4 Posts