SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 husky 510 or new wr250x which bike would yall choose and why i will be doing mostly short trips on the bike 10-20 miles and i love to wheelie lol

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
and i love to wheelie lol
The 510 then, no question. But I've heard for lots of street duty, the 610 requires less maintenance. But I'm not a Husky owner so don't hold me to that.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ok so maybe I'm crazy, but I have to ask why your comparing a bigger bore "racer" with a street going not so big bore commuter? Not gonna lie I get tired of these which bike threads but this caught me because of the two in question. Maybe a lil more back ground or what your plans are? Seriously only 10-20 miles?? No rides, track days, etc.?? I think both seem to be great bikes for their uses regardless! anywho, good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I understand the comparison question between the two, as I've thought the same thing. It's a question (for me) of would I want a sm bike for a just a commuter that wouldn't require much maintenance at all while still being a fun bike, or would I want a bike that would be a lot more fun to ride and that I could take out for track days, but I'd have to learn how to do valve jobs (and I don't have much motor repair knowledge) and other maintenance or pay through the nose to have the one local Husky shop do the work. Also, since the Husky 450 and 510 don't come with warranties, and I've seen the cracked cases and read the posts about blown motors, that weighs heavily into the decision making process. I may be in the same boat as rotgg here.

I keep wishing I could find an '08 Honda CRF450X with street plates, so I could avoid the one shop in our area (cause I don't think they're very honest). That way I'd have a bike with plenty of power, a warranty, and a bunch of shops around me that I could take it too for service.

If I were deciding between the two bikes (07 husky 510 or new wr250x) I think I'd opt to go with an '08 Husky 450 or 510. They seem to have made a lot of improvements to the chasis and motor over the '07s. I think I'd get bored on the wr250 in about a couple months.

I think about this pretty much on a daily basis. I'm leaning towards an '08 Husky myself.

oh, and I've considered a drz too, but I just can't get over the looks of them... they ugly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand the comparison question between the two, as I've thought the same thing. It's a question (for me) of would I want a sm bike for a just a commuter that wouldn't require much maintenance at all while still being a fun bike, or would I want a bike that would be a lot more fun to ride and that I could take out for track days, but I'd have to learn how to do valve jobs (and I don't have much motor repair knowledge) and other maintenance or pay through the nose to have the one local Husky shop do the work. Also, since the Husky 450 and 510 don't come with warranties, and I've seen the cracked cases and read the posts about blown motors, that weighs heavily into the decision making process. I may be in the same boat as rotgg here.

I keep wishing I could find an '08 Honda CRF450X with street plates, so I could avoid the one shop in our area (cause I don't think they're very honest). That way I'd have a bike with plenty of power, a warranty, and a bunch of shops around me that I could take it too for service.

If I were deciding between the two bikes (07 husky 510 or new wr250x) I think I'd opt to go with an '08 Husky 450 or 510. They seem to have made a lot of improvements to the chasis and motor over the '07s. I think I'd get bored on the wr250 in about a couple months.

I think about this pretty much on a daily basis. I'm leaning towards an '08 Husky myself.

oh, and I've considered a drz too, but I just can't get over the looks of them... they ugly.
Dutch hit my problem right on the head everyone says these bikes shouldn't be compared but look at the street legal sm bikes that you can buy from dealers and there are not many choices i can get the 07 510 same price as the wr i too would prefer a crf 450 but they are not for sale i looked at the drz an liked the wr better a ktm 690 smc is around $9500 that is out i would buy a sport bike instead of that the aprilia looks realy sharp but i think has to many problems so i am back to my original problem

·
Registered
649 Posts
Sounds like you want the Husky, but with that you get more maintenance and less reliability and worse gas mileage. Guess it really depends on where your priorities are.
As a side note, a CRF450X or 250 would be tons more maintenance than either.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am in the same boat and so far have found out that hte 510 is a hung strung-race bike with lights. The wr250x is merely an updated drz with 6th gear and similar power. So far I am looking at the sm610. I believe it weighs 310 vs the 250x at 280. Better reliability etc. Id get teh 610.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am leaning towards the wr250x actually i am used to liter sport bikes and know this is going to be a big change for me

·
Registered
181 Posts
PLUS I forgot tho mention the April issue of ROADRACING WORLD had an article on the 510 and it wasnt too good.
call me nuts, but that article was the icing on the cake that made me say, the dealers are never getting wrx's or drz-sm's, this bike will definitely do exactly what i want and need. no major issues, except the headlight blows and the tail light (and turnsignals) drain to much power for the headlight to be at all effective. led's are a cheap, easy fix for this. besides that every other issue could have been fixed by husky, he chose not to do that. note: i don't consider a company that's willing to warranty parts an issue after taking to my old 2000 suzuki 750 to the dealer with a rough shifting problem after 2,000 easy street miles and them telling me it was caused by wheelies, when i never wheelied the bike, honest.

i believe fleming referred to it as the ultimate urban motorcycle and something about being more fun than his r1.

at a 1,000 miles in, i'm thrilled with mine (i bought it with under 300 miles on it).

and for the record, i wanted a wrx. it looked like a blast and more fun than the drz. unfortunately, i couldn't get one. but sometimes things happen for a reason and for me it was so that way i could get the husky. i'm thrilled with my decision. however, reading the husky section, i'd stick to a carb'd 510.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts