SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FML!!!!

Changing the oil on my 07 610 today. I cleaned out the bag filter near the shifter and when putting everything back together, one of the bolts that holds the cover on the filter just keeps spinning and doesn't tighten down the cover.

The top bolt goes nice and tight but the bottom one just spins and doesn't tighten down.

Now wtf am I suppose to do? I can't re-fill with oil because the oil will leak out.
Which means I can't ride!!!

When I took the bolt out there were some metal shavings stuck to the bolt, but when I put it in the first time it didn't feel like to was stripping or anything.

Help please???:headshake

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It appears the threads inside the bolt hole are pretty much all gone....

Don't even know where to begin with this. Wanted to go riding today, now thats not going to happen.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If the threads are stripped then you will need to insert a helicoil. Probably need to take it to a machine shop or bike shop.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the threads are stripped then you will need to insert a helicoil. Probably need to take it to a machine shop or bike shop.
Yeah I've just read about helicoil. Sounds pretty easy to do, but the problem is I don't know what one to buy or where???

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah I've just read about helicoil. Sounds pretty easy to do, but the problem is I don't know what one to buy or where???
I'd look up an engineering shop and get them to do it. It's like a wound 'spring' and winds into your knackered hole, then the fixing that holds the cover etc winds into the helicoil. I've always drilled bigger and retapped but depends on the material thickness around the original hole. For engine, I would go helicoil.

http://www.minisport.com/mini-spare-parts/info_TOL1REC2510.html

·
Registered
849 Posts
^thanx. Yeah I need to buy a helicoil, just not sure which one
I think your bolt would be M5 so I'd suggest an M6 thread with a helicoil in that to take the M5 bolt. If you get a kit - you'll need the tool to wind the helicoil in - don't doubt you'll get some instructions. Or just Google it :thumbup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had this exact same problem myself in the last week or so (same hole as well - the bottom one! Purely coincidental that though I bet......)

My thoughts instantly went to helicoil which is the correct way to fix it for sure. I thought it would be an M4 thread but after measuring the screw it is indeed M5. Great I thought - I've got an M5 helicoil kit!! The problem you'll have is the stripped out hole is in a bit of a recess and difficult to get to. Don't forget as well as drilling the old thread out you'll need to tap a new thread in its place and there isn't really any room to swing a tap wrench in there..........you could do it in theory if you can unscrew one of the handles of your tap wrench but you really run the risk of tapping a bad thread for the insert then which kind of defeats the object of putting one in in the first place!

What I've done is use a longer screw. I can't remember the exact depth of the existing threaded hole but the screws Husky supply are only about half the length of the existing hole. You've only stripped the top half so you can still use the bottom half! Just make sure you clean all the stripped thread out the hole first (running a tap down is probably the only real safe way to do this).

I've only ridden the bike a couple of times since I did this but it seems to be holding up ok (not wanting to tempt fate!). I didn't, but I'd be tempted to be really sure not to overtighten it this time and use a drop of blue loctite on the thread for added security. Maybe this is one of the locations where a good quality 'inch pounds' torque wrench would really pay off ????? I've not long had to helicoil the thread in my cam chain tensioner too.........:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^Wowzers man!! Thank you so much!!!!

So, I'm now on the hunt for a longer bolt with the same thread that will fit. Hopefully I can find one asap. I want to ride this weekend so bad!

·
Registered
150 Posts
^Wowzers man!! Thank you so much!!!!

So, I'm now on the hunt for a longer bolt with the same thread that will fit. Hopefully I can find one asap. I want to ride this weekend so bad!
Happy to be of assistance! Just make sure that there is plenty of thread there for it to go into - with Husky's quality control history I wouldn't guarantee that all the holes are drilled to the same depth.

Also, if you do decide to use loctite on the thread make sure the hole and screw are completely clean and degreased (not easy when you consider the oil from the bag filter has a natural tendency to run down into the thread - maybe you'd have to tip the bike slightly over to the right hand side for a while?)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I wasn't so lucky. The bolt hole is the same depth as the bolt that I have, so using a longer bolt will not work.

I didn't want to deal with the headache so I brought it to my Husky dealer and he is going to fix it. According to him this is a common problem and he has seen it many, many times.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Well I wasn't so lucky. The bolt hole is the same depth as the bolt that I have, so using a longer bolt will not work.

I didn't want to deal with the headache so I brought it to my Husky dealer and he is going to fix it. According to him this is a common problem and he has seen it many, many times.
Yeah, he'll helicoil it and you'll be fine :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts