SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far Ive did the 3x3, rejetted with JD Jets : Blue needle, 3rd clip, 155 main jet, 25 pilot jet, fuel screw 2.5 turns out. I took the rear baffle/spark arrestor thing out of the pipe and thats it...

Im looking to squeeze a little bit more power out of it, I DONT wanna spend 500+ on a new exhaust, 500+ on 440 BB, or get the FCR carb.

Im thinking maybe I could Drill a 1/2" hole right down the middle of my pipe to open it up a bit...anyone tried this??

My main ?? is can i add a set of hot cams stage 1 or 2 to my current set up (ive seen em on ebay for $260ish) and get more noticable power out of it without having to do anything elce to the bike.?

any help is appreciated....
thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you tried different sprockets? Can make a huge difference on low end pull! Although it has nothing to do with power, it sure made my bike a whole lot more fun!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the dude i bought it from had 16f/47r sprockets...i liked the 60-65mph rpms but I had to try a little to hard to wheelie so i just changed it today to a 15f/47r way easyer to wheelie now but its too revy now at 65mph....

so yes ive played with the sprockets a little but i still want more power haha

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
you gotta spend some $ to get the power out of a DRZ. Since you already re-jetted the stock carb, I would put an MRD/SSW exhaust on next. As an alternative (cheaper too), you can always get a set of E-cams from a partout and they will give alot better overall feel. The E-cams and Hot cams are almost identical, with one being more aggressive. No matter how much you Cut/Drill/Modify the stock exhaust, you will never get more power out of it...the header is the restricive part of the stocker...hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
+1 what Craig said.... You've maxed out what you can do with the stock equipment. Header is the restriction of exhaust. No matter what you do past the stock header,will yield no gains..... If gear changes dont do it for ya,gotta start spending some $$$. Start with exhaust,FCR,cams,and then big bore or just do all at once.

You can add cams but stock carb will sign off before cams run out of revs.

Add FCR before exhaust and stock pipe won't let carb work to full potential.

Stock carb with full exhaust works pretty good.

FCR with full exhaust works great and crisper throttle response.
FCR,exhaust,&cams are a great combo. Don't nessiarily need big bore until top end is needing rebuilt.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
If you do big bore,just leave $$ in budget for refreshing your head. Once you have it down it would be wise to replace guides,seals,springs,& go to the 1 piece valves.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im trying to be a cheap ass and i know i should be...

so if i get a intake hotcam i hear it unleashes more low end...
so you guys are saying it would be pointless to do anything elce until i get a full exhaust system??

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yep, you need to get rid of the stock pipe.

Yosh is good pipe if you want bottom, MRD if you want high rev power.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can someone link me to the mrd exhaust...i cant find it anywhere!!

is the yosh rs2 or 3 better.?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nevermind i found the mrd/ssw..i can get the yosh ms2 full exhaust or the mrd/ssw for about the same price give or take $10...$459ish

which should i get..i think id rather have low to mid power so that tells me yosh

or should i get the MRD/SSW and add an intake hotcam for more low-mid power..?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
www.mrd-racing.com
mrd designed for drz. More mods you add,the better it performs. Yosh pipes outperform mrd with stock carb. MRDTuned for high rpm and horsepower

Yosh makes a great system. It works great with stock carb. Produces good torque figures. works great with stock carb. Gets outperformed on top of rev range.

Both companies produce a great product. MRD is american made and will perform better with each mod.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Honestly I am not the total expert here, but just can express what I have read and experienced.

I know nothing about the effects of the cams, so hopefully we can get someone to chime in on that.

The difference in the Yosh and MRD are two fold.

One, decibel level. If you want to let everyone know you started your bike and your on your way, go MRD. It is loud. If you want a softer sounding exhaust (but still sounds great) go Yosh. (Not that the MRD doesn't sound good. I love it :thumbup:)

Two, what RPM range do you want to ride at? The Yosh has a little more power at lower RPM, 2000 - 5000 or so. It does not pull like the MRD does at higher RPM. So if you are at 40 mph, 4th or 5th gear and roll hard on the throttle, the MRD pulls stronger.

I have used both pipes and prefer the MRD, as I ride at 4500 + RPM when I am having fun. I also have the 434 and FCR, so my bike pulls quite well at lower RPM vs. when I was at the stock bore.

One last note, if you are on the highway a lot, go MRD. You will appreciate the pull when passing cars. Plus they will know you are there. :D

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If you can't get it done on a DR-Z with 3x3/FCR/SSW-MRD/and possibly BB, you need to get another bike. :headshake

·
Registered
30 Posts
not trying to hijack this thread but I have a follow up question to someone's response. I'm in the same boat wanting some more power and want to get the MRD exhaust. Right now I have the 3x3 mod and the JD jet kit. So my question is, since I already have a JD kit installed and if I get the MRD full exhaust, do I still have to have the bike rejetted since it currently has the full stock exhaust? Might be a simple and dumb question but I don't know...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Depends on what jet you have now. When you add the full exhaust you will need to use the 155 or 160 jet. If you mean, do need to buy another jet kit, no, as all the jets are in the JD kit that are needed to run the full exhaust.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok so i bought a yosh rs2 full system....

will the hot cam intake cam make a noticable power difference

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Use both cams if you swap. It will raise power band up into the rpm range. But,if you are still running stock carb,it may not perform well in the upper rpm range. You need the FCR 39 carb. It will perform better in that rpm range. The S model,which had the good cams and hot cams copied,had the FCR carb and a larger header from the factory.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Use both cams if you swap. It will raise power band up into the rpm range. But,if you are still running stock carb,it may not perform well in the upper rpm range. You need the FCR 39 carb. It will perform better in that rpm range. The S model,which had the good cams and hot cams copied,had the FCR carb and a larger header from the factory.
I think Mux meant to refer to the early E-models (and kicker only models) that came with more aggressive cams, bigger exhaust header, and FCR 39 carb:thumbup: The S and SM models always have had the tamer carb and cams.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts