SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I have a 2006 SMR450 with a 5" Marchesini wheel on the rear. It's currently running a D208 in 150x17. Wondering if a 160 Pilot Power One or Pilot Power Pure will fit?

I've run the forum search and couldn't find any info specific to the husky.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't know if the 06's are different frame/ s/arm wise to the 09's? The Goldspeed rear was a true (just under I think) 160 section on the 5". As Skully says, a true 160 will be fine. SMRDave posted he'd tried some other 160 tyres (nearer 170mm) and they were fouling the chain bigtime. I had to put a roller to hold the chain off the tyre -although if the chain's well tensioned it seems more of a guide than a needed chain roller. Also with the mag wheels you've got you're stuffed re offset so tyre choice will be your critical factor.

·
Registered
849 Posts
bikes I was on about were the '05 till '07 models, they also had a fairly wide swingarm from the looks of it.
Swinging arm wise you'd prob get a 190 in there, the cut off is the chain as the sprocket sits real inboard on the hub. Also there's only like 10mm max clearance on the front re the LHS frame rail. a 160 is do-able for sure but any wider is into clearance issues.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the tips guys - I'll go ahead and order a couple of 160 tires and see what works. If all of them fit... I WIN! :clap:

·
Registered
65 Posts
i'm running a carrozzeria 5" rear on my 2005 smr and that fits 165 slicks no problem. chain roller just like pic above just to keep it tidy

·
Registered
435 Posts
i'm running a carrozzeria 5" rear on my 2005 smr and that fits 165 slicks no problem. chain roller just like pic above just to keep it tidy
where can i get a roller like that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
just ordered a 5" warp 9 rear for my TE.... Does anyone think the 160 wont fit? And what's the thought on the front tire size?

·
Registered
849 Posts
just ordered a 5" warp 9 rear for my TE.... Does anyone think the 160 wont fit? And what's the thought on the front tire size?
If the TE has the same s/arm as the SM - I think it does? - then the 160 will be fine, given the info above. Front, you'll want a 120/70/17.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kevin at Warp 9 seamed to think the swing arm was different.....Guess I'll just have to try, wonder if they will let me return a tire if its too big? Warp 9 said they will return the rim no problem, already very happy with there customer service.. Good company!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Kevin at Warp 9 seamed to think the swing arm was different.....Guess I'll just have to try, wonder if they will let me return a tire if its too big? Warp 9 said they will return the rim no problem, already very happy with there customer service.. Good company!
Sounds like you're onto a good vendor there mate. Try it and if not return it in new state and nothing lost :thumbup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I ordered a Pilot Pure 160 and it fits for the most part. On the chain side I do have some nicks on the tire in sequence from the chain. It's not enough to make it an issue of performance or safety so no worries. If I get around to mounting the chain roller like the later model shows in the pic then all will be well. However, the 2006 model doesn't have the roller setup so I am going to have to tap the swingarm and bolt it on. I bought a MSR roller, just need to do the tap and screw!

·
Registered
849 Posts
So, I ordered a Pilot Pure 160 and it fits for the most part. On the chain side I do have some nicks on the tire in sequence from the chain. It's not enough to make it an issue of performance or safety so no worries. If I get around to mounting the chain roller like the later model shows in the pic then all will be well. However, the 2006 model doesn't have the roller setup so I am going to have to tap the swingarm and bolt it on. I bought a MSR roller, just need to do the tap and screw!
Had to buy and fit that roller, not a stock part as the OE rim only 4.25" with the 150. Glad you got a good fit with the Pure. The roller will stop that slap. Bet it feels a ton better on the road too :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts