SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently traded my '98 GSXR 1100 for an RMZ 250 (small I know but bare with me. I'm only 170lb and thats after the holidays! Plus the MPG is going to be ridiculous!), blue book was almost identical and I figured if I needed to flip it for the cash the dirt bike would be easier to get rid of than a 10+ yr old superbike. I rode in the dirt three or four times this fall but missed being on the street A LOT. So I started looking into doing a motard. As all of you are well aware, old cbr f2 cast wheels make a nice home under a tard, and it just so happened that I had a set sitting in my storage unit from a previous bike. I looked into the requirements for a title change from Dirt Only to Dual Purpose, and in IL where I have the misfortune of residing, the bike laws are pretty lax, just about the only up side to living here I guess. Tail/ brake light, check, have an old led unit from an '08 CBR 1000rr. Head light, DUH, still searching for the right one but eBay is chock full of any style you want for less than $100. ( this might actually work I thought to myself) No turn signals required, SAWEET! One mirror, again the options from ebay are damn near endless. Well, you get the idea.... So I started making sh*t happen.

Fitted the wheels up and lo and behold, the front is damn near a direct fit, stock spacers, axle diameter is identical, only thing needing attention is that the rotor sits too close to the fork and has a 5mm larger dia. than stock. The face of the wheel where the rotor mounts needs to be milled down by 10mm, both sides, one so that the rotor will fit and the other so that my fork guards will go back on lol

Then there is the rear. . .

The wheel fits into the swing arm fine. The axle is only 5mm undersized from stock so a set of sleeve spacers are in order. The biggest challenge here is the cush drive/ sprocket hub. After many nights of research, measuring, more research, more measuring, a few cigarettes and some intense staring:headshake I finally came up with a plan of action. Instead of going through all the BS of trying to make that hub fit, why not make a whole new one?! So thats what I am doing. The wheels and my drawing are at the machine shop as I type this. If all goes to plan, I will be able to show off my new cush hub and fitted wheels within the next few weeks.

In the mean time, I started with a few other odds and ends. Got the tail light mounted.

Even came up with a possible head light, not really sure it's going to work but I had it laying around so I thought I'd see what it looks like for the hell of it, feel free to give me some feedback. Keep in mind it would get a custom shroud built around it to hide the ugly plastic. I've not sold myself on the idea tho so any input is welcome

front:

Side:

I just re-packed the muffler with FMF loose pack from BikeBandit.com Knocked the noise level down considerably, but probably not enough for the 86dB required for street use so I am looking at the DB DAWG baffle insert, if anyone has any review of that product I would like to know.

I am planning on running a Nimh battery pack in the air box for the lights using the trail tech regulator/rectifier to charge while riding. I orderd some of the H3 replacement LED cluster bulbs off eBay for $8 to try out, NOT WORTH THE POSTAGE!!! Super bright by themselves, but they arent worth a sh*t in a housing. The light doesn't carry at all, like most leds I guess. So I'm probably going to end up with a 35w h3 which only draws 2.9amps @ 12v so hopefully I can get away with the stock stator output since that is the only real draw I'll have.

I should have more pictures soon. Hope you guys can give me some good feedback, ideas, whatever.

·
Registered
724 Posts
look like a sweet build. i really like the tail light. the headlight.... not so much. wheels do look at home like you said though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
look like a sweet build. i really like the tail light. the headlight.... not so much. wheels do look at home like you said though.
Yeah, like I said I'm not really sure about that. Just an old hayabusa headlight I had laying around. I'll probably end up throwing it on eBay so I can buy an Acerbis Cyclops or something similar.
I really like the way the wheels look on the bike and the taillight turned out nicer than I had expected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sold the busa light on ebay this week, just wasn't going to work. Looking at the Polisport Halo. Still waiting on the machine shop for the wheels. Pulling the forks this week to re-seal and clean 'em up. Not much progress happening, waiting on parts and fund$ to keep rolling.

·
Registered
44 Posts
that tail light is super badass looking:clap:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carbon!!

Found an unbelievable deal on a Lightspeed ATS from motosport.com

The top sections seem to fit fine. Good clearance @ full lock.

Lower has some issues
Looks awesome, don't mind the mud.

Going to have to do some engineering...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
looks like you dont have the lower high enough on the radiators.... not an engineering fault just an install fault. you dont need scooped air routed to the endtank so tilt that bad boy up to where it mounts to the bolt holes and i bet it fits like a glove, minus having to possibly trim your MX fender or get a sumo one which is shorter and wont hit it.

That busa headlight looks like it has potential kinda like a superduke light although those looked pretty bulky too. maybe a redesigned or eliminated front fender would make it look better. If you need lower wattage h3 with higher output run an H3 HID kit from DDM at 35w. Id recommend only running it in a projector or proper HID housing.

z

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the same thing about the placement, check out the pics tho. The thing is actually made to go around the end tanks for whatever reason. Even shows it in the instal directions.

It's even cut out to fit the radiator hose. They just didn't make the mounting 'wings' long enough, or it is for a different model year, IDK. All the same nothing a few pieces of aluminum won't fix lol and for the price I'm not going to bitch.

The busa headlight had some potential but for what I got out of it on ebay I can buy two polisport halos lol

EDIT: I don't know why that last pic is upside down, rotated it on photobucket, you get the idea tho lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update_ PARTS!

I love getting new parts, it's almost as good as christmas lol
Gold RK solid roller 520

Considerably thinner than the x-ring that was on it, should help with tire clearances

New 14 tooth front sprocket up from 13 stock, wish i could go 15 but there just isn't room

43 tooth rear sprocket, not sure if it is going to be small enough for cruising, doing the calculations puts me at approx. [email protected] Not ideal but we'll see what it actually is when it's together, worst case I'll drop down to a 40, time will tell.

Polisport Halo, I love the look. Keeps the number plate style and sits nice and snug to the neck/forks. Plus the added bonus of those three magic letters, DOT

Also got my front brake switch installed, nice clean almost factory look.

On another note, I got the bottom section of the carbon ATS mounted. Made two small aluminum tabs, drilled holes to match the ATS and fairing mounts. Turned out nice I think.

Still waiting on the wheels from the machine shop, talked to the guy earlier this week. He said should be done this weekend/ first part of next week. Getting excited to get them back and get some rubber mounted up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Looks good man, I had an RMZ build going but had to sell her :( I am living vicariously through you now man!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts