SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first SM about a month ago. The guy who owned it before me changed the sprockets to 16Front 47Rear. Ive done a 3x3 mod and rejetted with the JD jet kit, Blue needle 3rd clip, 155 Main jet, 25 Pilot jet, air screw 2.5 turns out. The mods i made gave it more throttle responce and it pulls harder and way smoother after the mods.

It seems like i have to work pretty hard to do wheelies with the sprocket setup it has on it now. I can roll on 1st pretty hard and get it up, but in 2nd I have to work extremely hard to get it up, I can clutch it pretty hard and still only get the wheel up about 1-2 feet.
For the record im not a wheelie expert by any means but my 2002 YZ250F dirt bike is hella easy to wheelie and maybe the difference in bikes is a hard transition to me. My Drz cruises at reasonable RPMS at 60-65 I really dont wanna kill my cruising speed but i want to be able to wheelie a little easyer.
So with that said should I do a sprocket change or am i just weak and need to keep practicing.?
any help is appreciated..i have the stock sprockets BTW..
thanks

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Drop Front sprocket back to 15 or go to a 14. Bike will come up easy then... Downfall, you will loose some top end with a change to 15 and more with 14. FYI 15/41 is stock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i really like the 60-65mph rpms the way it is..if i changed to a 15 front you think 55-60mph rpms would feel like they do now at 60-65.?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
It would drop your cruising speed about 5mph. I ran 15/43 and wished I went with 14/41,43 but I live in the Mtns of Western Northcarolina. I liked the lower gear,to help under powered bike get out of corners. If you have the 15 just swap it out..... Doesnt take long and will fit chain.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awsome thanks for the help bro....once my impact gun battery charges ill get er done n post back later tonight..!

·
Registered
923 Posts
i use 15 or 16 on the front and use a 39 on the rear , this way you can change the gears and use the same chain , i use the 16/39 for street and big tracks , the 15/39 i use only for go cart tracks , i do have a 470cc motor ,

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
i have run stock 15/41 then tried 15/39 then 16/39, overall for me 15/39 works the best

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm pretty happy with 14/44, but there's no highway here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When i got the bike it had 16/47 I liked the gearing and cruising rpms but I had to try to hard to wheelie..
I changed it to 15/47 which makes it super easy to wheelie but the cruising rpms are a little high.
I'm going to get a 46 tooth rear sprocket and use the 15 front. That gear ratio is right in the middle of the 2 I've used so far. Hopefully I'll get the happy medium between the 2

·
Registered
923 Posts
When i got the bike it had 16/47 I liked the gearing and cruising rpms but I had to try to hard to wheelie..
I changed it to 15/47 which makes it super easy to wheelie but the cruising rpms are a little high.
I'm going to get a 46 tooth rear sprocket and use the 15 front. That gear ratio is right in the middle of the 2 I've used so far. Hopefully I'll get the happy medium between the 2
i have 16/39 on right now and i can bring it up easy in 2nd with a blip of the clutch . and 15/39 i wheelie at the track a lot fun times

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
A rule of thumb is,for every one tooth dropped on the front, is like going up 3 teeth in the rear. With that theory, is 15/44 more what you are looking for?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
15/44 is the same gear ratio as 16/47 = 2.93
and if i go 15/44 im probably gonna need to take a link out of my chain, which im trying to avoid

1 - 13 of 13 Posts