SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a 2005 525exc for some road use (15 min commute every day, and 1-2hr drive once or twice a week) and some trails. What are some things i should look for and ask about when looking at a used 525exc that has been ridden on the street? This will be my first Orange bike, im not used to kt, and not sure what exactly to look for.

Thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
976 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
I can tell you things I wore out and fixed after very little riding time on my 05 525.

Bring a flashlight.
Look for coolant leak evidence under the water pump. White crusty stuff around the weep hole. Also countersprocket leak if it's been ridden with a tight chain, look under and around the chain for fresh oil. Engine oil should be nice and clean not filled with stripper glitter.
Valve adjustment should be done frequently.
Make sure you get the "procedure" for kick starting. It can be frustrating as hell if you don't that that particular bikes start up routine. Every RFS I've ridden is a little different.
Remove the seat and rear fender, check to see if the sub frame is cracked at the mounting holes or welds.

It's a noisey motor so don't expect a quiet purring WRx, they do rattle.
Buy a factory service manual, a case of Amsoil, dozen quality oil filters and some decent hand tools. You'll need them.

Good luck, fun bike.

·
Registered
446 Posts
All the EXC's are e-start as far as I know. With such a small battery and high compression motor my EXC battery would last about 5 seconds on the starter before it just clicked.

Hopefully your bike jetted well, has fresh fuel, petcock is actully open, choke works, fuel filter isn't clogged, idle jet isn't clogged and it fires right up and idles smooth with a touch of the magic button.

Kick starting an RFS bike just sucks if you don't know how to do it. It will just flood, backfire, kick back and piss you off to no end.
Knowing how to kick start it when you really need to is the difference between hating your bike and loving it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This may be off topic and make me wish I'd read this prior to taking delivery of my low mileage (900) 05 525 EXC. I have some coolant coming out of the weep hole when riding, and there may be a hint of stripper glitter in the oil. What to do? Kick starting it however is no problem and she turns over the 2nd time around every time.

A

·
Registered
446 Posts
Fine stipper glitter in the oil is normal. 5 hours or 500 miles is the interval I used for oil changes on all my RFS bikes.

They all developed the water pump impeller leak at some point to.
Very common on KTM RFS bikes. Yours is low milage so I would not expect the impeller shaft to be worn yet, just the seal. Could be imporoper seal install at the factory or just sitting for a long period. Snap ring pliers help but small needle nose pliers can work.

Here's a brief description of the seal replacement on ADVrider and a Ytube vid.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256977

1 - 7 of 7 Posts