SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone so im currently building a 04 yz250f that i fitted with warp9 supermoto rims, 120 pilot power front 150/70 dunlop road smart rear, 50t rear 14t front sprocket, and 320mm front rotor , BUT alot of people have been telling me that they yz's need way to much maintenance, new oil and filter every 5 hours, airbox after every ride, piston/ring every 40 hours and valves every 20 hours if im missing something let me know any tips and techniques will be much appreciated, but i dont know if i want to sell my mx stallion and upgrade to the purebred sumo 08 wr250x that "I've heard" has very little maintenance and runs smooth in many conditions so all wr250x and motard owners let me know how your motards run i really wan2 stunt and ride on street another reason why i want wr250x it comes with electric start head lights all that good stuff so all tips will be appreciated sorry for the scrambled post. :anim_peep:

-never stop riding.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
the yz will be faster. more oil changes, yes. valves, not that often. shim under bucket valve trains can go for a long time between adjusts. dont know about the piston. the wr will have a softer seat, 6th gear, electric start, but you have to spend the dough on the programmer to make tuning easy. where the yz all you need is a handful-o-jets and some knowhow.

the WR will always be heavier and slower. so i guess it depends on whether you prefer a commuter or a hooligan bike. theyll both do both but IMO theyre 60/40 and 40/60

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol

the yz will be faster. more oil changes, yes. valves, not that often. shim under bucket valve trains can go for a long time between adjusts. dont know about the piston. the wr will have a softer seat, 6th gear, electric start, but you have to spend the dough on the programmer to make tuning easy. where the yz all you need is a handful-o-jets and some knowhow.

the WR will always be heavier and slower. so i guess it depends on whether you prefer a commuter or a hooligan bike. theyll both do both but IMO theyre 60/40 and 40/60
Thanks for the reply and input, thats pretty much everyones response lol well im only 18 years old and am purchasing everything on my own income(very little lol) so i was leaning towards the wrx because it comes street legal so no highway patrol visit for me and everyone is making stunt parts for it the yzf i have to get a bigger stator to run head lights etc my local motorcycle shop(Ventura County Motosports) they have been convincing me that my beautiful stallion is a dinosaur that was left in the dark lol

-never stop riding

·
Registered
68 Posts
i am doing the same thing, i have got a 08 yz250f i have brought all the stator and lighting and a set of 17" wheels, just waiting for all the legal paper work to come through but i have taken it out a few times and it is alot of fun and so much better than the wr's my friend has one and it is nothing compared to the yzf :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Pretty simple. Street bike WRX, track only YZ. Don't think you could get the YZ licenced for the street anyways so that may be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am doing the same thing, i have got a 08 yz250f i have brought all the stator and lighting and a set of 17" wheels, just waiting for all the legal paper work to come through but i have taken it out a few times and it is alot of fun and so much better than the wr's my friend has one and it is nothing compared to the yzf :)

Thats sick post a pic so i can see it and i want to stunt mine out but at the same time ride on street without having to always swindle away from the cops, alot of people are saying get the wrx everyone makes stunt parts for it and are more reliable but the yzf is fast jumpy light and flat out mean the only thing that kills me is the maintenance and the fact that most of the stunt parts have to be custom made so ill probably have to get the wrx for now hopefully it still has alittle bit of 250 at heart lol:coffee:

Pretty simple. Street bike WRX, track only YZ. Don't think you could get the YZ licenced for the street anyways so that may be a deal breaker.
Yes that definately leans me towards selling my bike for the wrx so i can be a little spongy wrx street hooligan lol thanks for the advice you guys.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts