SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will be picking up an 04 450 SMR this weekend from a local guy. The bike has fairly low miles and is in decent shape, picking it up for $2k.

I know about the maintenance issues, first thing I am going to do is change the oil and check the valves.

Couple quick questions:

The guy has all of the street stuff in a box, he said it came that way from the dealer. Does that make sense? The wiring harness doesn't look cut but there are no connectors for the lights to plug into. There is also no speedo or gauges.

The bike won't stay charged when you run it longer than 20-30 minutes at a stretch. I have heard rumors about charging problems with these bikes but are they true? He is waiting on the parts for the kick start kit but right now it's e-start only.

What type of suspension changes are people making? I weigh 180 without gear and the bike seemed to feel okay with me on it. What are the typical sag numbers? I have heard 2" is good. Any other recommended geometry changes, drop/raise the forks, etc?

Thanks for any help it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. $2k for a low mile one is a great price. The guy is correct, these were officially not street legal from the factory in 04 and the lights and speedo were not installed on the bike. As far as the speedo goes, you are really better off without the stock one. In reality it was a very cheap bicycle speedo. Do yourself a favor and grab a trailtech Vapor or the like. The Vapor's run about $100 and lots of people on here run them.

My guess is you still have the original battery in the bike and that would be the most likely cause of your issues. Swap out the battery and see if that helps. I sometimes have a tough time starting the bike if its been sitting for a while, but a few minutes on the charger and it's ready to go. I have never had problems with it after it's running.

I'll let someone else comment on the suspension as I am far from an expert on that side of things, but from what I have read 2" is probably a pretty good starting place. At your weight you will probably be fine with the stock springs, but your probably near the max weight before you want to start looking at respringing it.

You have probably already found the service manuals, but if not here is a link to them: http://docs.husqvarnaoutlet.com/manuals/. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Enjoy your new bike and be safe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response much appreciated :thumbup:

I was looking into the Veypor gauges, is there a specific model # that works best with these bikes? Also is there a temp. sensor on the bike itself or would I have to install one? I Will be riding in the city so I want to make sure I don't overheat.

Yeah I am going to be replacing the battery with a new one, maybe even go with the light-weight lithium ion versions they have out now. Speaking of which does anyone know where I can purchase the OEM kick start kit? I found the part number on the microfiche but no one seems to carry it anymore...

I have heard of power-up kits for these bikes but is there one for the 04? I thought it was just for the newer bike just wanted to make sure though.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Not sure what model my Vapor is off hand. But yeah, go with it and it has all the goods you're after. No temp sense stock. The vapor has it with it, goes inline on rad hose. I went with engine ice at the same time.

Power up kit is for FI bikes. Our bastard '04's don't even have a JD jet kit available with the 41TMR Mikuni. If it's dialed in already that's good. Keep the valves at spec. Mine were .002" tight on intake and exhaust which was causing a "lean pop" occasionally when it got warmed up. I figured it was a carb issue, shimmed the valves and it's gone. :thumbup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know, didn't realize the 04 was such a frankenbike. Are there any decent ways to get more power out of the motor like a jet kit or anything like that? I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet so I'm not sure what state of tune it is in, hopefully it's pretty close but we will see.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Huskys run hot. The pre-08 models do not have a rad fan, so keep an eye on heat while city riding in the summertime. My street legal stuff came in a box too.....It's Husky's way of saying they are selling street legal bikes that are actually race bikes. Like previously posted, download the service manual. If the bike comes with the owners manual, there is a lot of good info in there too:thumbup: Keep the oil changed often, check valves every other oil change, and you'll be good to go. Not sure about a kicker kit, but check with e-bay seller "fugisfactory" in Delaware, he parts out a lot of Husky's and may have the parts you need.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Vapor you need is the 75-102. It's a very easy install and works great. Here are a few places to look for OEM and aftermarket parts for Huskies (most of them you will need to call for parts):

http://www.motosportz.com/

http://motorcyclefactoryinc.com/Default.asp

http://www.halls-cycles.com/

http://uptitehusky.com/

I have also gotten individual valve shims from Rock Mountain ATV for very reasonable prices, but I think I had to say it was for a Honda or something: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/home.do

Let me know what you find out on the kick starter, I wouldn't mind putting one on mine as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good deal thanks for the links :thumbup:

Will definitely keep you posted on the kick start kit.According to Halls-Cycles the old part number was 8000A3016 which has been replaced by part number 8000A4547. They have the kit in stock but it's $329 :headshake

I will see if I can find thee info for the other kits out there, no way am I paying that for a kick start kit.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Be careful that you get the right kit, I had a friend who received 2 wrong kits before he finally got the right one. There is a difference in the cogs between the years/models. Btw my 04 does have a kickstarter.. But never use it thanks to the battery :D

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
When you shim it just go to your local yamaha dealer and get the shims. The yamaha???? uses the same 7.48 mm shims. For more power a Fast By Farracci and see if they have any of the High compression pistons in yet, they were out of stock last I checked but I am still waiting for one. I just put a FBF exhaust on my and it made a world of difference.

I would NOT put a kick start on if I were you. I don't know what years are prone to breaking the cases but I KNOW that the 04 is. My bike has broken cases from the kick starter so it was removed. I went to the local Husqvarna dealer to see if they had anything used and they had a full garage of broken case bikes that the owners couldn't afford to fix. Also keep your eye out for a 05-06 tank and plastics. J.R. on here hooked me up with mine I think with shipping it was like $85 dollars and made the bike look so NICE.

From this

To This

Just ignore the last minute race day catch can/ electrical box in the second pic!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome that's good to know about the kick start and shims. Are these the same shims as the Yamaha WR250X?

Not sure I want to start buying aftermarket pistons yet, is there any type of aftermarket jetting or carb upgrades worth doing or is the bike good enough stock?

Those plastics are the tits. The bike I am picking up is a little rough around the edges so I was going to replace the plastics anyways. Do the 05/06 plastics mount right up or do you have to fab up some brackets? I am assuming you need to buy the 05/06 seat as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Awesome that's good to know about the kick start and shims. Are these the same shims as the Yamaha WR250X?

Not sure I want to start buying aftermarket pistons yet, is there any type of aftermarket jetting or carb upgrades worth doing or is the bike good enough stock?

Those plastics are the tits. The bike I am picking up is a little rough around the edges so I was going to replace the plastics anyways. Do the 05/06 plastics mount right up or do you have to fab up some brackets? I am assuming you need to buy the 05/06 seat as well.
The plastics mount right up, you just need the plastics, tank and seat from an 05-07. I actually had everything but the tank at one point to do the conversion in the yellow/blue color scheme, but the black and blue really grew on me (and my plastics are mint) so I sold them. I still may pick up the yellow and blue plastics if I come across a good deal on them. Oh, by the way I came across a barely used kickstart kit the other day for cheap if you are still interested in it, I think I am going to pass on it as another thread has me dreaming of a 510 (w/ 530 kit) motor swap. Let me know if you are interested and I will PM you the details.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out the guy I bought the bike from finally got all the parts for the kickstart kit. I am going to hold off installing it unless the bike has a serious electrical problem.

Going back to engine mods, are there any jet kits for the SM450? I did some research and couldn't find a specific jet kit for the 04 model. Some people were saying the TC450 fuel jet was interchangeable, anyone know if this is worthwhile?

For exhausts I found this pipe:

http://bikergarage101.com/273963fmftitaniumpowercore4sliponsparkarrestor.aspx

I couldn't find any full exhaust systems, are they even worth it for the bike? The headers on my bike are a bit rusty but I can always hit them up with some steel wool if they are fine stock.

I have been trying to search the forum but it's tough to find parts specifically for the 04...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Turns out the guy I bought the bike from finally got all the parts for the kickstart kit. I am going to hold off installing it unless the bike has a serious electrical problem.

Going back to engine mods, are there any jet kits for the SM450? I did some research and couldn't find a specific jet kit for the 04 model. Some people were saying the TC450 fuel jet was interchangeable, anyone know if this is worthwhile?

For exhausts I found this pipe:

http://bikergarage101.com/273963fmftitaniumpowercore4sliponsparkarrestor.aspx

I couldn't find any full exhaust systems, are they even worth it for the bike? The headers on my bike are a bit rusty but I can always hit them up with some steel wool if they are fine stock.

I have been trying to search the forum but it's tough to find parts specifically for the 04...
For exhaust there are leo vince, arrow, and akrapovic among others for our bikes. I am pretty sure the 05-07 exhaust for the 450/510 will also fit as well, but I am not 100% sure (as I have not personally tried it). Motostrano (site sponsor) carries several of these options at pretty reasonable prices so I would start there.

The jet kit is a little trickier as there is no preset kit like you can find for other bikes. They didn't make a lot of bikes with the Mikuni carb and switched to the Keihin carbs in 05. You do have a few different options though. You can order new jets and needles of various sizes from Husqvarna, they are in the parts catalog. There has been lengthy discussions in the past (05-06) over on thumpertalk in the husqvarna forum with people trying different combinations of jets. That would be a good place to start reading. Other people have had luck sending their entire carb in to Halls cycle where they make some modifications to the carb (I can't remember the details). Finally, some have swapped the mikuni carb entirely for a Keihin FCR with good results as well. Personally I would probably start with getting some different jet and needle sizes and play with it for a while.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good call on Motostrano. Actually found an Arrow slip-on for sale on their site, as soon as they confirm it will fit the 04 I will be snatching it up. Are full systems even worth it or is a slip-on good enough? The header and mid-pipe don't seem to have that many bends so a slip-on may be all I need.

For right now I am going to stick with the stock jets and needles and see how it goes. As long as there aren't any serious tuning problems I may leave it as-is. This will be my first bike with carbs so it's going to be an adventure to say the least.

In general are cosmetic items like plastics, case covers, etc. the same between the 450 and 510? I am guessing the 510 is the same bike but with a different bore/stroke.

Thanks again for all the hints and tips much appreciated :cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Good call on Motostrano. Actually found an Arrow slip-on for sale on their site, as soon as they confirm it will fit the 04 I will be snatching it up. Are full systems even worth it or is a slip-on good enough? The header and mid-pipe don't seem to have that many bends so a slip-on may be all I need.

For right now I am going to stick with the stock jets and needles and see how it goes. As long as there aren't any serious tuning problems I may leave it as-is. This will be my first bike with carbs so it's going to be an adventure to say the least.

In general are cosmetic items like plastics, case covers, etc. the same between the 450 and 510? I am guessing the 510 is the same bike but with a different bore/stroke.

Thanks again for all the hints and tips much appreciated :cheers:
Yes the 450 and 510 share nearly every component, sans crank and cylinder. It's cool to see some more '04s popping up; I picked one up in November. It's been great so far. Keep up on your oil changes and valve checks and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn that is one nice looking bike. As soon as I pick mine up I will snap a quick photo but like I said it's rough around the edges :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Since we are sharing photos of our 04's I figured I had to throw mine out as well. This is when I first got it and I've since added hand guards, aftermarket clutch lever, trailtech vapor, 16T front sprocket (for commuting), and removed that Hall's sticker on the fender. I will have to snap a few new pictures in the next week or two once I get it dug out of the garage.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
It was painful pulling the blue decals off because they were actually in good shape.

NY, this thread has been hijacked to an '04 pic thread:lol:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Here is how I bought my 04 in september 2009.

Then bought tank,seat and plastics of the newer model also got black excels and titanium arrow exhaust, new bars etc:

Now for 2011 it will have a suter slipper, magura brakepump and white plastics with custom graphics :D

1 - 20 of 91 Posts