SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i bought a bike in pieces now with the transmission repaired i put the engine back in the frame. i tried to kick over the engine and realized the kickstarter won't move. i removed the Right side cover and clutch basket. the kickstart assembly is all there and correctly installed. i put everything back but the problem still exists. the engine spins freely enough and the bike will shift through its gears. somehow someway the kickstart mechanism isn't working and im at a loss to explain why.

any ideas?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i noticed that the kickstarter wouldn't move with the clutch basket in but the moment the basket would move the kickstarter would work again. i thought the problem was the clutch basket but after inspection i was able to rule out the basket. the only thing left is that the main shaft is warped. this would explain something else i noticed; at time the installation of the clutch basket would be more difficult then it ought to be even though the teeth were aligned properly.

i plan to remove the clutch push rod then feed a piece of metal pipe that is close tolerance to the a main shaft's inside diameter. if the main shaft is warped i will have trouble pushing a close fitting pipe through the main shaft. if the main shaft is s not warped the pipe will travel inside the main shaft without resistance.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found the problem!

i was able to isolate that the problem existed between the the main shaft and the kickstart mechanism. The put the problem at the clutch basket, kick start gears, main shaft, main shaft bearing.

the clutch basket was true to within 5/1000 of an inch so it was fine. i removed the kick start gears and inspected them individually. they were all fine and all of the peices were there. the main shaft is hollow i purchased some wooden dowels of various sizes and found the 7/16th was a close fit. (cost about $1.50-2 for 2' of dowel at home depot) the other benefit of wooden dowels is they can't damage metal.

the dowel would slide in and out with only a small resistance so i new the main shaft was straight. i inspected the outside of the shaft shaft bearing (in the right crackcase cover) and found the bearing's race wasn't seated properly, resulting in lots of drag.

i pulled the engine out, removed the top end and jug, removed the flywheel and ordered a new bearing. i hope to have it by tuesday.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Super motos are sportbikes too . . .

I found the problem!

I was able to isolate that the problem existed
between the the main shaft and the kickstart mechanism.
That put the problem at the clutch basket,
kick start gears, main shaft, main shaft bearing.

The clutch basket was true to within 5/1000 of an inch so it was fine.
I removed the kick start gears and inspected them individually.
They were all fine and all of the peices were there.
The main shaft is hollow so I purchased some wooden dowels
of various sizes and found the 7/16th was a close fit.
(cost about $1.50-2 for 2' of dowel at home depot)
The other benefit of wooden dowels is they can't damage metal.

The dowel would slide in and out with only a small resistance
so I new the main shaft was straight.
I inspected the outside of the shaft shaft bearing (in the right crackcase cover)
and found the bearing's race wasn't seated properly, resulting in lots of drag.

I pulled the engine out, removed the top end and jug,
removed the flywheel and ordered a new bearing.

I hope to have it by tuesday.
http://www.socalsportbikes.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258551

So ~ you think that it'll be back together for our first bike night this weekend in Riverside, CA. . . .

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for teh offer red but i live in hllywd so that's quite a distance to ride for a bike night.

what kind of tires do you have on your xr650r? im looking for some cheap DOT tires for mine with stock rims.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We've been out to a bike night in Hollywood before and that wasn't too far for us .

Thanks for the offer Red but I live in Hollywood
so that's quite a distance to ride for a bike night.

What kind of tires do you have on your XR650R?
I'm looking for some cheap DOT tires for mine with stock rims.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130-90-18-S...es&hash=item4d139bec93&vxp=mtr#ht_2243wt_1066

That's the rear tire that I use with an 18" rear rim ~ but I have a 19" front . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-90H-21-S...es&hash=item565c4ec5a7&vxp=mtr#ht_2243wt_1066

So you might want to use this one for a stock 21" rim, these tires last long and work great . . .

I have two sets of wheels for my XR650R to get the best of both worlds on the same bike . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts