SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so it started making this bad clacking/rattling noise today i thought it might be the valve lash but it seemed kinda loud for valve lash but i re adjusted the vavle lash anyways and no change. i got out my stethiscope and its comming from the transfer case portion of the engin. it only seems to be bad when the engin is not under load like when its idleing in nutral.:headscrat

i know of the main shaft bearing problem in the pre03 lc4's so i was wondering is this the only bearing problem these engins have?

just to add nothing unusual happend to induce this noise it just sorta poped up just today.

any insight or words of wisdom would be great, gona tear into it tmm to see if that bearing is the culprit. cheers:headshake

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
so it started making this bad clacking/rattling noise today i thought it might be the valve lash but it seemed kinda loud for valve lash but i re adjusted the vavle lash anyways and no change. i got out my stethiscope and its comming from the transfer case portion of the engin. it only seems to be bad when the engin is not under load like when its idleing in nutral.:headscrat

i know of the main shaft bearing problem in the pre03 lc4's so i was wondering is this the only bearing problem these engins have?

just to add nothing unusual happend to induce this noise it just sorta poped up just today.

any insight or words of wisdom would be great, gona tear into it tmm to see if that bearing is the culprit. cheers:headshake
The counter balancer destroys itself on these bikes every once in a while too. The main shaft bearing is pretty easy to check. Just pull the left side case cover. If the clutch basket has any signs of wear against the inside of the case cover, you definitely have a main shaft bearing gone bad. If no wear, it doesn't take much more to pull the clutch basket and inspect the main shaft bearing. Typically it is the cage that holds the ball bearings which comes apart.

Conveniently for you, the counter balancer is under that side cover too. You should drain your oil and check for chunks of bearing cage and aluminum shavings (clutch basket). You can also see into the sump with the left side cover off, to inspect for any other tell tale bits that may be floating around in there.

Here's hoping you are just hearing things. :D :cheers:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well pulled the left side cover today there seems to be a far amount of metal on the drain plug, no signs of any aluminum from the clutch basket or anything like that, how to i check if the balancer is going or not? like how do i check it while i have this cover off? is visual inspection enuf to diagnose it or is there some kinda play test of some sorts?

oh i had wished i was hearing things, cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just to add i also took the clutch off and found that the bearing behind it has allready been replaced at one time with the newer style roller bearing.

im all out of ideas and i really don't want to have to take it to a dealer i am fully capable of repairing it i just need some help diognosing the problem.

still wondering about how i can tell if it could be my counter balancer like stated above?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
You should be able to pull the counter balancer out. Half of it is hollow. That half is what I have seen fail. It either comes apart or it galls. If it looks perfect and brand new, it is good.

You might try over at KTM talk. The bearing and the balancer is the extent of my experience. That is really good news that the main shaft bearing is the updated bearing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok just to make shure im correct on this the counter balancer is on the front most part of the engin at the bottom right? im pritty shure i remember seeing it on the exploited diagram.

well thanks for your help, i tryed to make an account on ktmtalk but my e-mail account isn't good enuf for them or something :D

anyways unless anyone else knows of something i should check, thanks for the help i will post up what the problem was when or if i get it figured out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well to sum this thing up for future referance to my specific problem, it was the nut and locking ring on my crank shaft that held the outer gear that connects the clutch and counter balancer to the cranks shaft had come loose and it was trying to sheer off the woodriff key that held the gear on. thankfully it was found befor any major damage was done. also didn't have to take it to the dealer :D.

final price on the repair was 36.28cnd for new woodrif key, locking rind and side panel gasket.

anyone who is lucky enuf to have one of those mech books for this bike be able to find me the tourk speck on that nut?or know where i might find it on the web?

thanks to all the guys that helped me solve my delema. cheers

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
well to sum this thing up for future referance to my specific problem, it was the nut and locking ring on my crank shaft that held the outer gear that connects the clutch and counter balancer to the cranks shaft had come loose and it was trying to sheer off the woodriff key that held the gear on. thankfully it was found befor any major damage was done. also didn't have to take it to the dealer :D.

final price on the repair was 36.28cnd for new woodrif key, locking rind and side panel gasket.

anyone who is lucky enuf to have one of those mech books for this bike be able to find me the tourk speck on that nut?or know where i might find it on the web?

thanks to all the guys that helped me solve my delema. cheers
That is very good news. I don't remember the torque spec, I think I got it searching KTMtalk. We used a fair amount , like 100 lb/ft. We might have used red loctite too. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts