SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to convert my 01 520 EXC to SM. Will SM (17") wheels fit my swingarm on an 01? If so, how large of a rear tire can be fitted? I'm concerned about the width/clearance at the tire. I've heard that the 03-on swingarms were wider. Is this true?
If fitting is possible, then I'm looking for a set, with large front brake and caliper etc.
One more question (sorry), are the forks, springs and travel longer on my EXC than on the factory SM?

Thanks in advance!:D

·
Registered
406 Posts
i have a 1999 ktm 200 with a 5x17 on it off of a 05-06 SMR 450. It bolted right on. I think its got a 165/60 slick on it. its close but does not touch anything. All tho if i have to move the tire back any more to tighten the chain i will have to remove my lower chain guard as that will hit the rim. As for your suspension im not 100% sure but i would guess your travel is more, and a whole lot softer. If you where going to do any SM racing or any hard riding i would look into having the suspension rebuilt, or swapping it out for a SMR suspension

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jarkid27,
I really appreciate you getting back to me. I also have a 98 KTM 200 EXC. I will measure its swingarm and compare it to my 520 arm. The rim and tire you have fitted is larger than I would probably run, so in my case I may have even more room. Now I won't have to sell my EXC and look for an SM!!
Anybody out there got a SM wheel set for sale??? Preferably with front brake?

·
Registered
879 Posts
5" rim and michelin sm slick (maybe contiforce sm 160) will fit but it will be tight.. you may have to modify chain guard. if your riding is mainly on streets then go for 4.25 rim and 150 series conti sm (cush hub if you want)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks sakke83,
Have you (or someone out there) actually fit a 'street' 160 on a 5" to an 01 EXC?
I plan to run on the street with street tires. I know that the slicks and race tires generally run a bit smaller in overall width, but am I going to have chain/swingarm rub problems running a street 160 tire. Orrrrrr, will a 150 work on a 5" rim without any problems or handling issues??? I've got a guy with a set of wheels I'm about to buy and need to know pretty soon. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
879 Posts
i have 2001 400exc (well ok not 400anymore) and just about to put sm rims on it. i get frame back from painter friday. i'll post some pictures for you monday or tuesday. though they will be with michelin sm. i tryed to find some info about 160 series conti sm fitted on 5" rim and how wide it is, someone said that it shoud be 3mm wider than michelin sm slick. for easy and sure way to fit sm setup go for 4.25 with 150series tyre, it's better setup on the street than wide tyre/rim. when you see the pictures you can deside what to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks sakke83,
I've searched the archives for hours and can't find definitive info on this. I'd prefer the narrower rim to avoid any 'issues'. If I just knew how much difference there was between the older swingarms and the newer ones and at what year they changed I could make an intelligent decision. I don't want to buy this guys wheels only to find I need to lace up a narrower rim.

·
Registered
879 Posts
yep, there seem to lack of info for older katoom swingarms.. if you get 4.25rim it WILL work and with 150 series tyre no rubbing. from 03 there were new swings, little wider and different size swing shaft. also front axle is bigger from 03 but thats no proplem as you can use spacers. only reason i'm getting 5" is more tire selection for racing and more contact to track. for road you dont even notice the differense or maybe you do as there's less rotating mass. allways a good thing. hope this helped. and one more thing, HAVE FUN:thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks sakke83,
I just got off the phone with the guys at factoryproracing.com. They said I could run a 150 tire on a 5" rim and have no clearance issues as long as the rim was offset the correct amount from the edge of the rim to the sprocket 'flange surface' . This dim.is 18MM. If I get the wheels I'm looking at would you want to swap my 5" for your narrower rim. What color is yours? The ones I'm looking at are silver Behr rims.

·
Registered
879 Posts
imo 4.25 woud work better with 150series tyre (also depends on tyre brand) but shoud be ok for 5.. sorry i cant help you as i live in finland, not worth it to ship rims around. i'm sure that you will find some one there who wants your rim. also mine are black..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks anyway sakke83,
If anyone has any info on what street tire choice would be good for a 150 on a 5" rim I'd sure appreciate it!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll check those sakke83. In my situation it would probably be best to go with whichever tire had the 'narrowest' profile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts