SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a minor problem with the battery on my lighting system. I am unfamiliar with these as I rode desert and track and never dealt with lights.

I have an 01 250 exc 2-stroke street legal, evrything works fine in the lighting system. all lights function properly. But the lights will not turn on when the bike is not running. It has no key ignition (kickstart only)the kill switch is mounted in with the light controls on the handlebars. I was under the impression, with the battery the lights should operate for a short time while the bike is not running. im worried this will keep from getting licensed at the DMV test if the light do not operate when the bike is not running.

I'm not exactly sure how old the battery is, the dual sport kit was installed by the previous owner. Should i replace the battery and start troubleshooting from there.

Any help would be apreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Doesn't sound like a battery problem. Without a ignition switch they probably don't make the circuit until the bike is running like most trail bikes. You might be better off wiring a switch to turn it on when you want. I also wired mine with a on/off switch because my headlight was killing my battery when i was trying to crank the bike. So it can be a problem both ways. Anyway good luck :bannana::bannana:

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
you're going to have to figure out how the previous owner wired in the battery.

on a stock 250 exc's there's no battery involved since the bike doesn't have an E-start. all the lights run off the ignition hence the lights will not work unless the engine is running. it's like that on every stock exc out there, even the ones that do have a battery just use it to feed the e-start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feed back guys. FYI the battery is hooked up to a rec/reg installed inside the airbox. It is an after market street legal kit on the bike. I went over the wiring diagram and all is correct. I tested the battery and it is only putting out 6.2v. Since the battery is old its probably not holding the charge. I was mainly worried about the lights not running with the bike off during my license test at the DMV. It didn't hold me back though and I got my license.

Once again thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts