SuperMoto Junkie banner

1985 CR500 a good idea?

39K views 54 replies 11 participants last post by  albertacr500 
#1 ·
I have a chance to pickup a 1985 CR500 for a decent price, I cant seem to find a whole lot on the 85's but from 86-2001 has a bunch of information. Would this be a bad idea to buy and turn into a supermoto, the guy says it runs well he just cant start it (he's 112lbs and has his buddy start it for him :lol: ) The plastic is faded and nasty will other CR plastic swap.

#2 ·
I'd check out www.bannedcr500riders.com All you'll ever need to know about CR5's can be found there.

I went through a phase where I wanted a tagged 500, but some research convinced me that it wasn't at all practical. The gearing is too short and they apparently vibrate waaaaayyyyyy too much at speed. I do believe the '85's and '86's are the most powerful years, though.

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. This wont be anything but a toy for me to ride around the canyons when I feel my Uly isnt up to it, so im not overly concerend with vibration...my mirror fell off at a stop light on my buell...so im used to some vibration.

#8 ·
I put a street tire on my RM500 (air cooled, but ported agressively) and it was nearly unrideable! when the powerband hits, youre doing a wheelie if you want to or not, and if you dont shift fast enough, youre going to flip. Its possible to ride below the powerband, but your chances of fouling a plug are higher and its much harder on the crankshaft to lug it. It is the ULTIMATE hooligan bike. Good luck!

#10 ·
85 is basically the same as an 86 as far as the motor. One main problem with the early models is the water pump housing. They rot out. Pop the cover off and take a peek at it if you can before purchasing it. A new rs cover is kinda pricey, I think over 200 bucks.

#18 ·
Any progress on the purchase?

I wouldn't worry about the pump rot. There's so many of those engines out there (in pieces), finding a good used one wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, the early engines had the good/better port timing, and a good benefit is the wide ratio tranny that the old ones have.
I built my bike from a pile of used parts.......built the engine w/an early jug and tranny and a 2 piece side cover....the best of all worlds.

Having the crank balanced is pretty manditory for street duties.
Tall gearing is a must-have also.

A CR500 is not practical for straight highway cruising, but surely a helluva lot of fun around town.

#20 ·
A CR500 is not practical for straight highway cruising, but surely a helluva lot of fun around town.
I have found the exact opposite over here.

I don't really like running mine around town alot but love to take long journeys on the highway. I have a 4 gallon after market tank on mine so I rarely ever have to stop for gas and it gets great mileage on the highway. Mileage suffers somewhat in town.

One thing I learned a long time ago is not to ride my cr500 in the rain... too damn dangerous. That is something I never do anymore (unless I get caught by surprise).

The only other thing I hate about riding it in town is when it dies at an intersection and I have to kick start it in the middle of the damn street. The last time it died on me, it didn't want to start and there was a cop sitting in his car (right behind me) waiting for me to move out of his way. I thought he was going to pull me over but he just drove off with a disgusted look on his face. :coffee:

#19 ·
ya I plan on only using it for canyon runs, I live out in the Black Hills in South Dakota, so thier is some nice tight roads to run. Also may run second duty as a trail bike if i can hang on to it. How to you go about switching to a two piece side cover? Oh and the purchase is going well, looks like the wife is planning on getting it on the 24th of this month if all goes as planned, Im super pumped!!!! :bannana:

#21 ·
What do you mean by great gas mileage???? My friends keep telling me its gonna get shit for mileage and that im going to have to do a topend every summer, how often do you need to do a topend/ rebore? oh and ya i've heard the same thing about the rain thing...a highside waiting to happen.

#22 ·
My 2001 gets great mileage (for a 500cc 2 stroke) and I have NEVER gone into the motor yet. You will not need to go into the top end every summer as long as you use good gas and a high quality 2 stroke oil mixed at the proper ratio.

I think Honda calls for 32:1 in my bike but I run Motul 800 at 40:1 and never had a problem. I do carry a spare plug and do change the plug about once a year though.

I ran my 2000 cr250r on the street for 8 years before I sold it and never did the top (or bottom) end. I had a piston and ring set ready to go in at anytime but gave it to the guy I sold it to (still in the box).

#23 ·
I never did the math but I would say I get about 30-35 mpg highway.

My bike is geared now at 15/42 and it seems perfect for the type of riding/roads I do around here and 4 gallons of premix in the tank goes a looong way for me.

I have several bikes now so I don't ride my 500 very often (just whenever I need a knee shaking adreneline rush).

#24 · (Edited)
The guy that did my port work claimed that it would hurt mileage.
Well now.....I've never had a CR500, so I have no idea what mileage would be (I heard of people getting 20-ish), but I'm all in for the power-enhancing mod anyway.

I'd be lucky to break 15mpg.
I filled the tank and took the bike for a straight highway run. I averaged 55/60mph w/a 14/41 gearing.
The bike was built from an 01 CR125, it has a 2 gal tank....and it doesn't get me very far.
I stopped mid trip and dumped in a quart of premix from the backpack. I stopped at a gas station to refuel, and pumped in another 1.5 gal.....still wasn't enough to fill it back up. For the return trip I detured the long way home and headed straight up the highway.
If I figure correctly, I'm getting 12mpg.

But....I can't complain.
The bike runs fantastic...... like you said, it's an adrenaline rush.
The quickest, lightest, best braking, loudest/most obnoxious bike I have....and it'll easily wheelie from 4th gear.
The children run from their yards to see what's coming from up the street......I just love it.

Yeah, the engine is pretty much Sherman tank durable.
It might need a set of rings in a few years, but I really don't see any issues. Main thing is that oil ratio and jetting #s are correct.

My old H1 has over 15K miles on the clock, it runs strong and still has excellent compression.
Like KTM said, quality oil plays a huge role in longevity.
I prefer MC1... run it 45:1....and add a little av' gas in the mix for some lead content.

I believe my 2-piece side cover is from an '87.

#25 ·
Wow for highway mileage that is about what my RC51 used to get!!! Also its great to here if you get the jetting right that I wont be replacing a topend once a year. Oh and as for the side cover the 87 crankcase cover will fit on the 1985?, if so that would be great. Thanks for all the replies

#26 ·
After I ported my RM500 it got better mileage than stock, but its still not awesome. Probably 20 mpg. Good thing its a dunes only bike!

My friend put a WR500 motor in a 70's honda cb350 frame once. He called it the death bike because it would do roll on wheelies from 80 mph in 6th gear without breaking a sweat! He took it road racing once and it picked up the front end mid corner at 110 mph, then crashed into the tire wall. He was fine, the bike broke in half and he didnt want to put it back together!
Sorry for being off topic, but its a crazy story!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.