Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas to Rio on DRZ

Default Las Vegas to Rio on DRZ

Thought you guys might be interested in my upcoming ride! Myself and my best buddy Matt are riding our '06 and '08 DRZ 400SM's from Las Vegas through Central/S America to Rio de Janeiro in time for Carnival. ...if we're still alive. Matt just started riding a couple months ago and I like to go really fast all the time.

We're outfitting the bikes for the adventure touring, but we're keeping the 17's on with Distanzias.

The whole trip is going to be documented in HD, and there's going to be a finished film next Summer.

Right now we've got just about all of the gear and we'll be building the bikes in a few days. Check out the website for more info:

ride-report.com

-Tiernan

Holy molly...

All I can say is, I'm Brasilian, I know what it's like to be down there during Carnaval, and your trip will be worth every butt numbing kilometer!
    -"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet"

'08 wr250x - Now racing with Cycle Sector and Socal Supermoto!
    http://www.cyclesector.com/
    http://socalsupermoto.com/

i'd suggest you read the link if you havent already seen Claytons story. have fun and stay smart.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136505

i am insanely jealous... YOU BETTER KEEP UP WITH PICS AND A DIARY/JOURNAL ON HERE!!!

have fun and good luck and most of all, Be Safe

Well come to Brazil!
    Be careful about the roads. Bring some fresh clothes and I am sure you will spend a great time here!

I will be watching this thread and if you go by São Paulo we can take a ride!

If you want go to www.brasilmotard.com/forum and post your trip there. We may help you here in Brasil.

Wow, hope you guys have an amazing trip!

Do be careful, have a read from that ADV link about Clayton's story. Really unfortunate, similar to what you guys were doing...

Mad props and best of luck to you and your buddy!

I attempted a drive by car (June, 2005), just San Diego -> CanCun. An officer stopped me in north central Mexico and told me to go straight back to the US border. It was good advice, there is good money for cartel gangs regarding american ransoms.

A few years later on vacation in Acapulco (Feb 2009), I rented a bike to explore the pacific highways, AND RECEIVED THE SAME ADVICE. areas just outside major cities (also tourist hotspots) are hotbeds for drug activity and kidnappings. Throw in lack of law enforcement and you have yourself a shit creek.

be careful man, I STRONGLY suggest making the trip with 3-4 people.

After reading the ADV thread, it turns out the OP had MedJetAssist (http://www.medjetassist.com/) one of the services that got Clayton back to the US in a timely manner. You can't put a price on your life/health, but that looks worth it!

Bolling Air Force Base, District Of Columbia, United States

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by scruffmcruff View Post
    i'd suggest you read the link if you havent already seen Claytons story. have fun and stay smart.

Holy cow.........

Quote Originally Posted by tiernanturner View Post
    Thought you guys might be interested in my upcoming ride! Myself and my best buddy Matt are riding our '06 and '08 DRZ 400SM's from Las Vegas through Central/S America to Rio de Janeiro in time for Carnival. ...if we're still alive.
    Ummm...... you do realize that there is no road connecting North / Central America to South America don't you?
    ESMRA #691 - KTM 560 SM, KTM 125 SXSM
    CCS #691 - GSXR 600
    Grassroots Supermoto- RIP

Best of luck to you and your buddy.... This should be an EPIC adventure!

A couple of friends and I went to Costa Rica in early October. We rented Two DRZ-400's and a DR 650. Ended up covering over 1000 miles in 6 days on the bike, and it was the best time I have ever had. We were on dirt most of the time, and went through some of the most secluded parts of the country. Traveling by motorcycle, especially dual sport's give you a chance to see some AMAZING things that would otherwise be out of reach.

Be careful down there though, I dont know about South America, but in Central America they have no regard for human life on the open road.

Best of luck!

damn that's quite an itinerary!

JW
    The leader in supermoto parts since 2002. Motostrano ships world wide. Supermoto Conversion kits, supermoto parts, supermoto wheels www.motostrano.com use coupon 'supermotojunkie' for free shipping! Check out our blow out site for more deals.
    ask me anything at all! Call or send me a TEXT at 650-918-6259. Happy to help and support the supermoto community.

Wow, I wish I hadn't read that

Poor guy, I don't find fault with his riding at all (I mean, encounters with animals are known to have taken out the highest bastions of safety and ridership our fraternity has ever known). What disappoints me is how easily he gave up afterwards, a couple years after the accident it seems.

No doubt, the going will get tough if you're going to attempt a ride all the way down to Brazil on your motard. Whether you make it will have a lot less to do with your riding skills and a lot more to do with your perserverence and resourcefulness.

Hope it goes well for you.
    '01 MZ Baghira 'Black Panther'

tigerboy.com

Default clayton's story

That was one of the first posts I read when I found Advrider about a year ago. It definitely opens my eyes to some of the dark possibilities, but shit happens, what can you do? Living in fear is not on my agenda. Besides, I've already crashed three times in the last year, I think I've already met my quota.

As for connecting Central/South America, I'll probably catch a boat to Cartagena. Unless I'm drinking that day, then I'll just ride through the Darien gap

Quote Originally Posted by tiernanturner View Post
    As for connecting Central/South America, I'll probably catch a boat to Cartagena. Unless I'm drinking that day, then I'll just ride through the Darien gap
    I've been to the Darien Gap and I would love to see the video of y'all trying to cross it. (I realize you're being facetious)
    CCS #691 - GSXR 600

Have you plotted out the course on a map that you can post up?
    '08 Husky sm450r (13k miles and counting)
    '03 Honda xr400r (street titled)

I have to say I'm envious. Every time I travel the tragic stories seem like such rare chances. Stay sharp, be strong, and bring good deeds to your travels. I look forward to hearing of your success. Darien gap is a crazy place it would be ballsy to see it before it too becomes travelled. There are stories of people who have travelled it. Great lives are made by doing great things, some get crushed along the way but it's better then living and working to pay for the war. Hey man one thing I was thinking was, I wear a Leatt on the track and I would take it on this trip. Crappy fences and wire on roads seem to come up with some frequency. I like my neck.
    Last edited by manicmechanic; 11-21-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Had a second thought.

How do you think a wr250x would handle that trip???

best of luck guys.you'll need it!I cant imagine how painful your arses are gonna be.I could just about make it to belfast (40 miles away) on my xr650r and even that would would require an icepack on each butt cheek!lol
    2009 KTM 690 SMC
    2010 KTM RC8R Akrapovic limited edition #88

Thats a tough read. I can't find any other words at the moment.
    Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

*We* are the music makers... and *we* are the dreamers of dreams.

Default pre-bike build day 1

Here's the poop:

Matt's black 2006 DRZ 400SM-
    Matt bought his bike on ebay. It came with an FCR MX, FMF Powerbomb exhaust, and Cyclops headlight. Today we'll add:
    -Cycleracks luggage rack and saddle bags
    -Thumpertalk case savers
    -IMS 4 gal tank
    -Corbin seat
    -Britannia Composites Lynx Fairing

My white 2008 DRZ 400SM-
    Bought this new from the dealer last year. Bone stock today, other than removed CA smog can and kickstand safety... and, ahem, custom shorty brake lever. Actually I got over anxious the last week and already put on the Cycleracks luggage racks and saddle bags. I actually dropped my bike the other day on the road and the racks/bags passed the test with flying colors! Today we'll add:
    -TT case savers
    -IMS 4 Gal tank
    -Alaskan leather sheepskin dual sport seat cover

This is day 1, hopefully we'll have our gear from Wheeling Cycle Supply tomorrow and can put on the rest of the goods.

Nice set-up so far.

I really like the cycle racks and side bads, which aren't the big aluminum cases that you so often see on adventure bikes. These look pretty slick.

Just curious where you got them, the cost and how easy they were to mount. I think i'd like something like that for my Baghira, on longer trips.

With 4 gallon tank, that should give you a range of about 200 miles.

The biggest problem I saw with that ride that went bad, is that the guy went solo. This means, if something goes wrong, you're on your own. With a buddy, it's a lot safer - at least my common sense say so.
    Last edited by Tigerboy; 11-23-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    '01 MZ Baghira 'Black Panther'

tigerboy.com

Default luggage racks/panniers

I got them from Don and Mark Boyer directly at Cycleracks.com. Very good guys, great product.

Default build update

So here's a status update:

If you've followed our website blog at all, you might have noticed Matt got Yellow Fever (we think) from the inoculations last week.
    Plus, we spent a little time putting together our cameras and mics, so we got a very late start on the build.

As of today, I've got my luggage racks/panniers, MCCT, IMS 4 gal tank, case savers, and sheepskin ready to go. I'm waiting to lock down the tank and seat until I get the Unibiker radiator guards, which should arrive any day with the rest of the goods from Forrest.

Matt has been spending time on his Lynx fairing mainly, but managed to brake the bold which tightens the gear lever when he was putting it back on after installing the case "saber"

He's flying to Colorado now for Thanksgiving and we'll resume the build when he gets back in a few days.

The jet kits were sent out today, and the Wheeling Cycle Supply order should be in by the end of the week as well.

sounds like thats going to be an awesome trip. curious as to impressions on the black tank, I was looking at something like this but was wondering if it looked awkward
    James - '07 DRZ

There was an article in the Washington Post last monday about a guy from Brazil who did this in reverse. He started from Southern Brazil and rode to Washington DC (in a failed attempt to get some justice for the big auto companies ripping off his patent). Only he did it on a Honda 125. Went through 4 sets of tires, 2 wheel rims & 19 oil changes. Covered over 20k miles. Thought about flying back home but decided to return folowing the West Coast instead (came up following the east Coast. Did it all without a plan or maps, said he just asked for directions from people as he went along.
    CCS #691 - GSXR 600

Damn that's intense!

Here's the finished promo video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09g10aGCWZk

Thats sick!!! I want to go too!!! Can I join!?
    Pikes Peak International Hill Climb #123
    Sttars #198
    1999 CR250SM California Plated
    1998 Husqvarna TE610-SM (gone but not forgotten)

when are yall leaving?
    08 wr250x
    07 crf450r
    cr500af project

We're leaving December 6th.

isnt carnival in april?
    08 wr250x
    07 crf450r
    cr500af project

Carnival is in february...

sweet i thought it was around the vernal equinox or "easter" but i guess not. im super jealous i hope to make that trip in the next few years. im planning on doing the trans american trail first prob next summer. maybe even make it into a key west to dead horse alaska trip. if i wasnt as busy with work and just moved into a house i would try to go, looks like you could use a camera man/mechanic. i backpacked europe last fall for 2 months on 2 weeks of planning, quit my job, sold my bike and 99% of my belongings and left. its cool you can find some one to grow some balls and just go. all my friends have shit jobs and think they are tied down or something. i just turned 24 on thanksgiving and i think this is the last 2 or 3 years i can get away with having little or no responsibilities untill i'm an old man. i'm looking forward to your adventure. trust your gut, and if you feel uncomfortable in a situation theres probably a good reason, but its amazing how a complete stranger will go out of their way to help you or even give you a bed to sleep in and feed you. i also found out the more random people i talked to the more i had fun. when you talk to people you can find things to do and see you would have never know about and just passed right by and they might even offer you food. also some of the worst situations i got into made the best stories.

be safe and take your time, and remember to stop and take a picture.
    08 wr250x
    07 crf450r
    cr500af project

Default bike build update

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving weekend. I hosted a couple of couchsurfers from Israel and two friends from LA at Matt's house in his stead, and made my first turkey, which came out great.

Back to the build. We were waiting to put the tank back on until we got the Unibikers. Yesterday we got our full order from Wheeling Cycle Supply , including:
    ZETA/DRC
    -Handguards/protectors w/flashers
    -clutch lever
    -brake lever
    -turn signals
    -edge tail light
    -skid plate
    -throttle tube/grips
    -brake snake
    -wide foot pegs
    -sliders
    -confidence to crash...

I started the jet kit and realized I had to buy a metal drill bit (even in Vegas the hardware store isn't open at 3am) so we put that off for today.

We're really bad mechanics, but we're improving quickly. What's been easy:
    TT case savers, unibiker, levers, luggage racks. The only hiccups we had there was: not having the alan wrench to remove the brake pedal (for the case saver and wide foot peg), the carb was a pain to get out, then I accidentally punched it trying to get the float bowl screws out without stripping them, Matt's bike didn't have the right harness to hook up the Lynx fairing and had to hardwire the electric, my shift lever was very difficult to get off and and Matt overtightened and broke the bolt on his, and the common fixes weren't too easy for us aside from the MCCT. We put high strength loctite on the countershaft nut. I noticed on the poll that the primary nut wasn't too bad for our years of bikes so we skipped that. I was confused by the free power mod, I think the how to here just says run the RR wires directly to the battery with a thicker guage wire, but I wasn't too confident without seeing photos. We've yet to deal with the stator or the swingarm grease, but I bought some and once the fun stuff is out of the way we'll get back to that business. I'm also trying to get my bike running again since it's my only wheels.

So, as I write this, Matt's working on his Lynx, and I'm about to do some jetting, put the tank on, seat on, adjust the levers and handguards to my liking, adjust the MCCT, install the skidplate, sliders, tail light/turn signals, then go test this 3x3 mod (and maybe the armor?) and do some wheelies with luggage racks and panniers on.

Tomorrow we may try to change the tires. We've got some tire spoons and valve stem removers from WCS, and we are afraid to use them. From past experience, we could use some advice there.

I'll post pics up next time.

Tiernan

Hey guys!!!

If you need anything here in brazil, use my e-mail:

rafael.bueno.alves@gmail.com

Me and paulosav are from the brasilmotard.com forum, and we have users from all country that can help you.

In the future i want to do the contrary, go from here (I live in são paulo) to california.

good luck!!!

Great Promo, and good luck to the both of you. I will be watching for updates and a final video. Again good luck and I wish I had the balls and time to take on an adventure like this..... T

Hey good luck and be safe..

Looks Awesome and the Promo look great! Cant wait for yall to start and see the progression!

Default we're out!

Working on bikes is a pain in the ass, but feels good when you get it right.

We're just about to leave, fixing a few screw ups here. Last night we noticed the bolts holding the triple clamp (i think?) weren't on Matt's bike! Glad we noticed that, but we didn't notice that he hadn't tightened the nuts on the throttle mechanism (lol the doohickey, i don't know what it's called), on the carb and we had a fun time trying to start it today. Anyhow, the bikes are built and we're prepping to leave and get some daylight riding to LA.

We had an awesome party last night. Our good friend and realtor made us a four course meal each with it's own beer pairing, and we had a fun time saying goodbye's to friends. Both of us woke up with a lady today :ride:
    Panther from ADVrider paid us a visit as well.

The sun is shining, and we're getting the F out of Vegas in a few.

There's a few things we haven't done that were recommended on TT including the stator loctite fix and greasing the swingarm... maybe we'll meet up with an ADV rider along the way who offers us his garage.

Anyhow, thanks for the support, and don't forget to check out Ride-Report.com for updates!!

Best luck guys!!!
    **AGROW1**
    .. DRZ400SM ..
    *MO -TARDED*

/Subscribed
    Slowly.....Healing.....
    08 Huskey 510 SMR
    CBR600RR (SOLD)
    2003 Wr450f (SOLD)
    2004 kx125

NIce

looking good looking good.. ive always loved the lynx headlight fairing but DAMN its just so expensive

Subscribed!
    CRF450R/CR500 motard (build in progress) | KTM 525 SMR (parting out) | Honda XR100 minimoto
    Videos: Trackday | Dirty Bronson | Mulch Mountain | Bronson Rally | Shamokin Motards | Stream Crossing

Quote Originally Posted by J Banning View Post
    Subscribed!
    yup me too.. post pics, wish i lived out west.
    Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    out of curiousity, what 'freedom' do you believe exists in the United States, that doesnt exist in most countries?

Very cool, good luck guys

Dont forget to pack some heat.
    Black 400SM | White XR50R mini moto |

Weaksauce Industries | ~Beauty in simplicity~

: Insert garbage donkey punched stoppie pic here :

Awesome trip, subscribed.

All i can say i wow!!! best of luck!
    09 SMC 690
    04 Ducati Monster s4r

Should be an awesome trip. Am interested in how everything holds up, bikes, tires, seats etc. I think you guys will be pretty sore in the saddle area at the end of the trip. Looking forward to updates.

Don't want to hijack thread so if anyone has info on the IMS tanks, where to get them and if mods have to be done to mount please PM me.
    "BITE ME FAN BOY"