Thread: Indoor Flat Track Racing! Salem Oregon

Default Indoor Flat Track Racing! Salem Oregon

Flat track racing indoors!

WHAT: Motorcycles, quads and lawn mowers.

Where?...Oregon State Fairgrounds...Salem Oregon

"We're going to run flat track, quads, vintage flat track, what else, lawn mowers, if they show up," Leach said. "We're going to stuff it full."

Nov. 21-22,
    Dec. 4,
    Jan. 8,
    an. 22,
    Feb. 6-7.

links to some info on the events...

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/arti...323/1018/ducks

http://www.flattrack.com/index.php?o...id=15&id=68969

For more info contact >>>
    Bob Leach....541-981-1200

Hells YES!!!!!

Anyone have any tips on how to race flat track?
    Any tips on bike set up or how to slide like kenny roberts would be appreciated!

How much are the entry fees?
    Braaaaap!

Supermoto Class? 17 inch rims with sm tires?
    Black Flag Racing Team IIII, AXO America, Spy Optic, Fusion Graphix, Fast50s, Beaverton Honda/ Yamaha/ Suzuki/ Kawasaki, Drew Paints, Dubach Racing Development, Race Tech, Kyosho America, DiBrino Designs, KFG Racing, Bridgestone Tires, Red Bull Tony

just run rains.. ive done it before it works good enough. i lowered bike with 19's is always better tho haha
    Braaaaap!

Quote Originally Posted by ermatinger17 View Post
    just run rains.. ive done it before it works good enough. i lowered bike with 19's is always better tho haha
    I'll run slicks dude
    Black Flag Racing Team IIII, AXO America, Spy Optic, Fusion Graphix, Fast50s, Beaverton Honda/ Yamaha/ Suzuki/ Kawasaki, Drew Paints, Dubach Racing Development, Race Tech, Kyosho America, DiBrino Designs, KFG Racing, Bridgestone Tires, Red Bull Tony

If you show up?

More info...

Classes for what ever bikes show up....Supermoto ...pit bike etc...

$10 for Spectators

$25 Amateur classes

$30 Pro Money Classes

Open practice this Friday.....Nov 13th

$10 per person pit pass.....$5 to practice....that = 15.00 to practice....

5PM to 9PM
    Last edited by miniroadrace; 11-09-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
    I'll run slicks dude
    Haha i would but I don't feel like breaking my other wrist haha plus I'd like to have some traction.. I was dirttrackin with Mike Camera at his house on slicks and ended up taking out a row of bushes hahha
    Braaaaap!

Quote Originally Posted by ermatinger17 View Post
    Haha i would but I don't feel like breaking my other wrist haha plus I'd like to have some traction.. I was dirttrackin with Mike Camera at his house on slicks and ended up taking out a row of bushes hahha
    I still wanna run the slicks! I would be sliding everywhere looking like I somewhat know what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
    I still wanna run the slicks! I would be sliding everywhere looking like I somewhat know what I am doing.
    Oh you could do it, but I'd be sketchy as hell on slicks haha
    Braaaaap!

Sounds fun! I want to if some other guys show up!
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons!"

it was sickkk!
    Travis Ohge #04

BIG fun.
    Last Friday I got so much track time I could barely get out of bed the next day.
    Most sports require a ball, but motorcycles require 2

Jeff Homolka #88
    ProCycle - Eugene Oregon
    www.procycle.us

Bump...

This is happening again this Friday night.
    Gates open at 4 practice starts at 5:30.

LINK --> http://www.albanymx.com/?page_id=869

Jeff Homolka #88
    ProCycle - Eugene Oregon
    www.procycle.us

Think I might cruise over. No idea what to do but it sounds like you get enough practice to figure it out. Anyone I know going to be there? Sucks to be the new guy without any friends. Already been through that in 08 when I first started riding SM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall634 View Post
    Think I might cruise over. No idea what to do but it sounds like you get enough practice to figure it out. Anyone I know going to be there? Sucks to be the new guy without any friends. Already been through that in 08 when I first started riding SM.
    You can pit with us. Look for a CRF150F #88 and a yellow TT500 #45. It's not hard to figure out what to do: Go fast, turn left, repeat. Figuring out how to do it well is the eternal struggle.

Jeff Homolka #88
    ProCycle - Eugene Oregon
    www.procycle.us

What I learned about Flat Track- By Jeremy Kendall

1. Run your same settings as SM. Do not run your moto suspension settings or forget the compression adjusting tool for your forks on the counter at the shop. Soft suspension isn't they way.
    2. Maybe dont run 22 psi cold in your rain tires, unless you want to wash out and eat some salem fairgrounds/ horse poo dirt.
    3. Flat track is not easy. Do not show up thinking it is easy, that is a mistake.
    4. DO take Sticky Nicky with you to the races. Your bike will never be out of gas due to his compulsive urge to top off your tank.
    5. I never ran out of gas.
    6. This was the first time in a while that I have truly sucked at anything. This was important because I thought I was a good all around rider. Nothing quite like getting taken down a few notches to keep you in check!

In all seriousness, it was fun. I bet it is REALLY fun on a bike that is purposefully built for it!

It was a good night. Big fun! I got to beat up on a couple of TT500s with my little CRF and also got schooled by a fast kid on an XR100.

Jeff Homolka #88
    ProCycle - Eugene Oregon
    www.procycle.us

Y'all are missing out on some great racing

Jeff Homolka #88
    ProCycle - Eugene Oregon
    www.procycle.us

Sounds like fun. No, it has to be fun. Indoor short rack is amazingly good fun. Sort of like boxing w/dirt bikes. Is the track in Salem clay, or more fluffy? My most recent experience was at Mickey Fay's clay track in Puyallup. I've sold the sumo kit off my KTM and have it back on knobs, so nothing appropriate set up for this year. But I'm actually starting to move some projects, and my old Ducati flat tracker is coming up soon. It's still recovering from that broken connecting rod. Maybe I'll have it done in time for next winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
    Sounds like fun. No, it has to be fun. Indoor short rack is amazingly good fun. Sort of like boxing w/dirt bikes. Is the track in Salem clay, or more fluffy? My most recent experience was at Mickey Fay's clay track in Puyallup. I've sold the sumo kit off my KTM and have it back on knobs, so nothing appropriate set up for this year. But I'm actually starting to move some projects, and my old Ducati flat tracker is coming up soon. It's still recovering from that broken connecting rod. Maybe I'll have it done in time for next winter.
    The track is 'clay-ish' dirt. It holds up amazingly well. Bob Leach does an exceptional job of prepping the track. Some of the pro-level racers say it is the best and fastest indoor they have ever ridden. There are several knobby classes so lack of tires is no excuse. When I saw there were going to be knobby classes I was pretty worried that the track was going to get torn up but that has not been an issue.

The whole thing has been pretty casual so far with the promoters making up classes as needed to help get more people involved. Last night I took a quick walk around the pits and counted 129 bikes. There is a pretty big CT70 class - at least a dozen riders. Those guys might be having more fun than anybody.

We also hear that the Leaches will be doing some outdoor evening FT races on a new oval in Albany this summer and are going to build a new permanent outdoor dirt oval at the State fairgrounds. The plan calls for flattrack racing during the state fair and events at least once a month when weather permits.

You better get that Ducati project moved up on the priority list.
    Gene Romero's schedule shows 6 FT races in Oregon this year.
    06/04 Willamette Speedway, Lebanon
    06/05 Sunset Speedway, Banks
    07/16 Southern Oregon Speedway, Medford
    07/17 Southern Oregon Speedway, Medford
    08/13 Willamette Speedway, Lebanon
    08/14 Sunset Speedway, Banks

Between Gene Romero's series and Bob Leach's plans it looks like flattrack racing in Oregon is back in a big way!

Jeff Homolka #88
    ProCycle - Eugene Oregon
    www.procycle.us

There was a nice oval just across the street immediately south of the Albany SX track. I rode on practice days there 2 or 3 times in the early 90s. They struggled to make anything happen there, and it finally just sort of went away. I think you can still see the light poles from the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
    There was a nice oval just across the street immediately south of the Albany SX track. I rode on practice days there 2 or 3 times in the early 90s. They struggled to make anything happen there, and it finally just sort of went away. I think you can still see the light poles from the freeway.

I believe that is the oval that has been resurrected. In any case the new track is indeed right next to the MX track and they have lights.

Jeff Homolka #88
    ProCycle - Eugene Oregon
    www.procycle.us

Quote Originally Posted by procycle View Post
    There is a pretty big CT70 class - at least a dozen riders. Those guys might be having more fun than anybody.
    Damn!!
    I can probably put together 3 or 4 Ct-70's before the next race. Maybe 5 if I have enough parts...
    Maybe my shop-mates and I will all come out on Trail 70's for the next one!!

Never mind...Just noticed that last week was the last race