Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Excel Rims Damaged during Tire Change at shop.

Default Excel Rims Damaged during Tire Change at shop.

I took my wheels off my drz last night, took the wheels and my new conti SM's to the shop this morning to get them put on. I return an hour later to pick up the wheels, head home, and am about to put them on when I notice the majority of the circumference of the rim is scratched/scarred whatever you want to call it. Bottom line is they had no scratched when I took them in.
    I call the shop and tell them they've fuked my wheels up, and they said they will touch them up, with black glossy paint. I personally thought that was a little absurd as touch up paint usually turns out not looking good.
    I am just wondering what anyone would do here.
    any advice or similar situations?
    Many Thanks
    Last edited by DaVinci312; 10-31-2009 at 12:29 PM.

cant really provide any advice other than take pics and talk to service manager.... I just want to comment that if a rim clamp machine was used to change your tires the installer must be a total idiot....virtually impossible to scratch rims with those machines...
    07 SXV 550

Search "Oreodoodles" on YouTube for my videos

I would at least make a written demand before I filed a suit. Let the shop know that "touching them up" is not acceptable. If the rims were in TRULY like-new condition, I'd ask for a replacement. If not, some pro-rated value will probably be the best you'd get via lawsuit, anyway.
    2008 SXV 4.5, 2 - 2007 Blata B1's

I just wanted them to come out the way they went in, the thought of even having to take that chance never crossed my mind. uploading photos in a second.

I just wanted them to come out the way they went in, the thought of even having to take that chance never crossed my mind. uploading photos in a second.

Hard to see the scrtaches with the glossy paint and flash.
    Front:

Rear:

In person the contrast is much greater so the damage is easier to visually identify.

Any shop worth a shit used rim protectors or has their tires tools covered somehow. This is a result of someone using the metal bar not coated. Lazy guy in the shop did it and they should replace the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by tamucc2004 View Post
    Any shop worth a shit used rim protectors or has their tires tools covered somehow. This is a result of someone using the metal bar not coated. Lazy guy in the shop did it and they should replace the wheel.
    + emmer effing 1!!! Pure dumbass did that damage. That's EXACTLY the reason shops have commercial liability insurance. Make them take care of it. There's no way that would have happenned if the proper tools (for a painted rim) and methods were used. So, they did not do it correctly and the result was damage. What is REALLY a pisser is that they did not mention it to you. You had to figure it out on your own. That is just crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvfrrider View Post
    + emmer effing 1!!! Pure dumbass did that damage. That's EXACTLY the reason shops have commercial liability insurance. Make them take care of it. There's no way that would have happenned if the proper tools (for a painted rim) and methods were used. So, they did not do it correctly and the result was damage. What is REALLY a pisser is that they did not mention it to you. You had to figure it out on your own. That is just crappy.
    yeah its definitely fukd up.

What are the proper tools for a painted rim they should have used, so when I go there tommorow I will know what I am saying?

Did you sign any waiver before you had them done? One local shop makes you sign a waiver saying they are not responsible for scratching done to wheels.

This is a common one. Basically, a coated or nylon tipped bar as opposed to metal.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/6

Quote Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
    Did you sign any waiver before you had them done? One local shop makes you sign a waiver saying they are not responsible for scratching done to wheels.
    No I didnt sign a waiver, I just called yesterday to see how much it would cost, and brought them in this morning.

This is a common one. Basically, a coated or nylon tipped bar as opposed to metal.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/6
    Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if there was a series of tools that are used that would have been appropriate for painted rims, as opposed to the ones the guy used.
    When I called this afternoon, he said he used towels and did what he could to not scratch them, but theres no way to put a tire on those rims without scratching them.

thanks again for the assistance, opinions.

The problem is that you left the shop.
    Example: I once was a valet driver, the valet company assumes liability for your vehicle when they take it. But, once you receive your car and leave the lot then any subsequent claim is null and void. It is impossible to prove then that the company is responsible for it. I've seen too many people get screwed this way. Serious damage but you left, so sorry man, it wasn't us... Next time dont worry about looking like a douche (whether picking up your wheels or your whip from the valet) inspect that bitch and throw a fit if anything is wrong. Once you leave theres nothing you can do.

on the other hand I surely hope you can get those jackasses to fix it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci312 View Post
    When I called this afternoon, he said he used towels and did what he could to not scratch them, but theres no way to put a tire on those rims without scratching them.
    He should have told you up front that he was going to damage your rims if he knows that "there is no way... without scratching them." Lots of places change tires on painted rims, including Excel rims, without damaging them. Was this a bike shop or some auto tire place?

Welcome to the world of anodized rims.......they get scratched even when you use the protectors. Most RO's have it written in the waver you sign.

Buy a $1 black magic marker and fill in the scratches your self.
    www.MotoHose.com
    Don't bring a gun to a snowball fight!

Quote Originally Posted by apa View Post
    Welcome to the world of anodized rims.......they get scratched even when you use the protectors. Most RO's have it written in the waver you sign.

Buy a $1 black magic marker and fill in the scratches your self.
    +1

I've done 1000's of tire changes and this just happens with anodized rims.

painted/powedercoated rims are much more resistant to this sort of damage.

easy fix, change your own tires.
    Strangers have the best candy!

That Happens All The Time Guys With These Rims With Tubes In Them My March Wheels Even Did It With A Car Tire Charger And A Soft Rubber Head On The Machine No Way Around It..its Worse On Mx Bikes Or 12 Inch Cyclones Using Tire Spoons

Totally off topic, but Weston22s; I find your posts very difficult to read. Is that a computer setting that capitalizes every word?

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm just saying.

On topic: Change your own tires. It's relatively easy, saves money, and if the rims do get fucked up, you know who to blame

I took them to a second installer yesterday, and he said that shouldn't have happened either if they used proper tools.
    My uncles who works at a dealership that sells custom choppers said they did custom painted rims all the time for people and have never messed a set up during the installation.
    And the dunlops being put on these excels with the talon hubs didnt mess them up either.
    And whats thepoint of wheel protectors if they dont work?

In addition to using the right tools, the installer needs to be using them correctly. If the rims gets scratched or damaged then the tools were not used correctly. It's pretty simple. Anyone who says that there is not a way to change tires on anodized rims without causing damage to them is wrong because there ARE ways to do it without any damage happening.

He should have told you up front that he was going to damage your rims if he knows that "there is no way... without scratching them." Lots of places change tires on painted rims, including Excel rims, without damaging them. Was this a bike shop or some auto tire place?
    it was a motorcycle shop. Im going there this morning. I spoke with my aunt this morning, per my uncles recommendations, and if they wont fix the rims to the way they were when I brought them, I should sue them. The rims werent touched up when I brought them in they just were dirty from using them, but No* cosmetic blemishes .
    Last edited by DaVinci312; 10-30-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Get what you can from the shop, then get a black sharpie touch, them up and ride!

A simple letter from an attorney will probably light a fire under the owners butt.
    ~Tim

"04 625 SXC
    '04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
    '97 CR500 SOLD

+2 on checking your shit before you leave the shop.

True story: a group of us were on a ride in Southern Maryland in July, We did a little offroading and then headed to the local bike shop (one guy's bike was leaking a little oil!). While bullshitting at the shop, we noticed that me rear Pilot Power was going flat. Further ispection revealed that I had picked up a rusty nail right in the center of the tire. We were 40 miles away from the trucks and I was 75 miles away from home so I was at the mercy of the shop. He told me it would be 1-2 hours and $130 to fix it. What was I gonna do, I told them to fix the damn thing and the rest of the guys continued to ride while I waited for the bike to be done. After 3 hours (the "mechanic" needed to have his lunch break too apparently), I was told to pay and then proceeded to go around to the garage side to pick up my bike. Luckily, I did my pre-ride inspection and questioned the "mechanic" about the tire pressure. While inspecting my rear tire, I noticed that the F$ck!ng nail was still stuck in the tire. WTF? The "mechanic" says to me "They didn't say nothin' bout' no nail". So I waitied for another half hour for these idiots to extract this rusted 16 penny (yes, 16 penny nail, 3 inches long!) from my tire without popping the newly mounted tube. In this instance, I was at the mercy of the shop, but I am going to but a set of rim protectors and three tire spoons and change my own from this point on
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 CRF150R winter project
    2011 KTM 250XC (Woods Killer/Tree Molester )
    2001 XR 50 (Wicked cool),
    2007 CR85R mini-sumo (sold), 2008 KTM 250 SX-F (Both Dirty and Tarded' Sold), 2008 Husky 510 SMR (Sold ), 2002 CR 250R Basketcase (Sold), 2007 Suzuki DRZ 400sm (Sold)

A buddy of mine does a bunch of track days on SV's and has a no-mar changer in his shed. Right down the street so I'm just fortunate.

Thumbs down Total BS from Jack-leg Idiots

I strongly disagree with this. It just takes someone who knows wtf they're doing. These big dealerships always assign tire changes to the buck-green 18 year old rookie whose biggest concern is getting off work at precisely 4:30.01 PM. I've had a dozen slicks put on my Rexfelgens, anodized orange and pretty much irreplaceable, without so much as a thumbprint on the wheel. My guy is an old flat-tracker from the 60's and has been changing tires for 40+ years. Uses the proper machine and tools. Not a couple of tire spoons and your wheel laying on the floor as they take a mallet to it.

And as mentioned...what about these Harley guys who have a 360 size tire on a custom-cut 8" $5000 billet wheel on their $75,000 chopper? Think they're gonna accept "can't avoid scratches man.." from the wheel guy? Nonsense. What you're experiencing is the typical stroking blow-off bullshit from the dealership.

For future reference;
    1) Never ever take your wheels to get changed at a big dealership. Drive 100 miles if you have to and find the right guy.
    2) Tell the person in charge, that these are expensive wheels and absolutely cannot be scratched. You'll know immediately by their reaction whether you can trust them or not.
    3) Ask if you can watch from a safe distance. If they say no (insurance regulations jargon) walk away.
    4) You have more power if you buy the new tires from the people who are changing them. Most places do not care to put tires on purchased from someone else, and their effort will reflect that.
    5) Just like asking around for a good Doctor or Dentist, you need to ask around for this service too.

If you change your tires at home or the track with a couple of tire spoons over a barrell, they'll probably get scratched. A lot of places still change tires like this. These are the guys who want a waiver signed. And good luck on getting them balanced too. This is not 1975 anymore. If a shop does not want to invest in any one of the dozens of new types of tire changing machines, that even the stupidest guy can put the worst tire on without damage, blow them off.
    The Suspension Answer-man:
    FastBikeIndustries.com

You all laugh because I'm different.
    I laugh because you're all the same.

all good advice.

The shop wasnt a large dealership, and the guy said when I called them yesterday that hed been changing tires fro 30 years and there wasnt no way around it.

Anyway when I got there, I went and spoke to the co managers owner people, got them to come look at the wheels, and all they said they could do it "smooth out the burrs" in my gouged aluminum, and "touch it up with black gloss paint."

He even went on to say I should have known that they would be scratched, and when he told me there wasn't anyway around no scratching the wheels. I told him I spoke with another installer yesterday, as well as, my uncle who both said the exact opposite.
    He also said I was liable for letting them change the tire, shit was crazy.

In the end I told him I wanted my wheels to be how they were when I brought them in, scratch free, and he said they could have been like this before, I said they were stock tires that were taken off, and he said the stock tires covered the scratches before, and with the new contis they were shown.

Finally I told him I spoke with my attorney and was advised if this issue cant be resolved, I should seek legal action, and they'll be receiving a letter next week.

Thats where things stand. I dont think by any means they can damage the finish on both of my wheels, and think its not their fault. I was hesitant at first, but after his list of denials, it was very infuriating.

yup. Happened to my car wheels. A little yelling, minor swearing and left with nothing.... oh well. Lesson learned. DOn't go to Fountain Tire in Kelowna.

Its a supermoto!!!!!!!!! talking about sueing over a few little scratches on a dirtbike is silly... no down right weak. its people like this that make this country so f'ed up. go cry somewhere else.
    Last edited by 06-530rr; 10-30-2009 at 01:22 PM.
    2006 husqvarna 530rr. AKA "dirtyfivethirty" or "freight train " Formerly known as Alohar1

www.FastBikeIndustries.com www.ksrwheels.comwww.balidogrefuge.com

You can do whatever you want with your motorcycles and let people take advantage of you all your life.

Those wheels cost $1400 and didnt have a scratch on them yesterday morning.

I like my drz looking nice, I take care of the things I own. I didn't come on here to cry, I was asking if anyone else has experienced similar situations with their excel wheels, or if the shop is as shady as it seems.
    And taking legal action is the only alternative to people who are trying to fuck you.
    Keep your negativity to yourself.

first off the best option was to use a sharpie. but you rather ask for 1400 for new wheels. that is stupid. there is nothing wrong with keeping you stuff nice, but look at the big picture its a dirtbike and will get scratched. use a sharpie or go back to your sissy streetbikes. Nobody will even notice the sharpied pube hair size scratch on your DRZ while you persue to starbucks to get a chi latte....extra whip
    2006 husqvarna 530rr. AKA "dirtyfivethirty" or "freight train " Formerly known as Alohar1

Quote Originally Posted by alohar1 View Post
    first off the best option was to use a sharpie. but you rather ask for 1400 for new wheels. that is stupid. there is nothing wrong with keeping you stuff nice, but look at the big picture its a dirtbike and will get scratched. use a sharpie or go back to your sissy streetbikes. Nobody will even notice the sharpied pube hair size scratch on your DRZ while you persue to starbucks to get a chi latte....extra whip
    look clown, you obviously cant understand being taken advantage of, or noticing it when it happens to you, which is fine, im not worried about you, or that you let it happen. I dont use my drz as a dirt bike, so im not okay with the wheels being damaged by a shop who doesnt care that theyve done so.
    Pube size scratch? you must be blind also, the scratches cover the circumference of both wheels.
    Drinking coffee doesnt have anything to do with being played, and im sorry im not such a manly man as you are.

Dude You Wanna Whaaa Burger With Those French Cries? Perhaps A Little Cheese With That Wine? Its A Supermoto. Forget Starbucks, And Hit The Pavement Like A Man. Look At It This Way, The Scratches On Your Rims Make It Look Like You Actually Ride.
    05 KTM625SMC (BATTLETANK)
    05 HUSKY SMR530 (SLEAZY)-CURRENTLY OWNED AND OPERATED BY KUMZ
    07 KTM 690SM (CADDY)-SOLD
    07 APRILIA SXV550 (LUGNUT)-SOLD
    06 HUSKY SMR510 (DIRTBALL)-CURRENTLY OWNED AND OPERATED BY 06-530RR

not crying or whining, telling people what happened is all.
    I didnt buy my sm for people to think I ride, I could care less if anyone thinks im riding through gravel and scratching my wheels.
    get your hate on somewhere else.

*im also not looking for anew set of $1400 wheels, only the rims that they damaged
    Last edited by DaVinci312; 10-30-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Ok so 450 + building the wheel and truing. So about 650 that could be fixed with a .99 sharpie. Call it being played or whatever your just being a Sally. Learn to change tires yourself that way when you scratch them you have nobody to blame. Instead of having someone else do work for ya and when everything isn't perfect you sue. I feel sorry for you dude.

Lol funny frank exactly what I was thinking.. I have forged march mag wheels and the machine I use at my shop has a rubber piece that touches the wheel and it still scratches it.. And it a 10,000 coats tire machine ... Maybe I should bring a lawsuit againist coats Lol.. I mean maybe it's me I've only be mounting tires for 15 years lol..

Ok so 450 + building the wheel and truing. So about 650 that could be fixed with a .99 sharpie. Call it being played or whatever your just being a Sally. Learn to change tires yourself that way when you scratch them you have nobody to blame. Instead of having someone else do work for ya and when everything isn't perfect you sue. I feel sorry for you dude.

I think it's called being a Nancy lol

Haha I'm not gonna sugar coat shit for anyone. Not even my momma. Keep it real

Haha I'm not gonna sugar coat shit for anyone. Not even my momma. Keep it real

WORD.....

you only see things from extremes. what exactly do you think the point of Paying someone to do the work is? I didnt want to mess the wheels up so I took them somewhere and payed them for their supposed expertise. Youre advice is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by weston22s View Post
    Lol funny frank exactly what I was thinking.. I have forged march mag wheels and the machine I use at my shop has a rubber piece that touches the wheel and it still scratches it.. And it a 10,000 coats tire machine ... Maybe I should bring a lawsuit againist coats Lol.. I mean maybe it's me I've only be mounting tires for 15 years lol..

each installer Ive spoken with that didn't mount my tires and scratch my rims said they do it without issue.
    Even places I called yesterday before going in without telling them said they can install without damage to the wheel.

Its quite possible it is you, the guy who did mine has been doing it for 30 years, and he still cant do it right for those types of wheels. continuing education is vital

if you pay 2000 dollars for custom wheels your damm right i would sue a shop if they scratched my wheels. boy we get some dumb asses here.

i had two sets of forged wheels and 12 sets of tires on them so far on supermotos and never did i have scratches on any of my rims from mounting new tires

if a shop cant do work right and fuck up your shit yes they have to pay.
    aloha? so your saying its ok for people to fuck up your shit?

if you take something to any business and them damage it they are responsible !!! yes he might only have a gay drz but that doesnt change that fact they fucked his shit up.
    Last edited by masterpea; 10-30-2009 at 05:55 PM.

and a good shop wont ever scratch wheels!!!!!

i sold forged rims power coated or anodized. i shop that knows what there doing wont damage anything.

same thing with car rims- i had three piece 20's that cost around 4g's with a custom offset.they never got scratched

find a better shop and ask questions before the work begins

I used to work at a tire retailer, had access to machines for my own use whenever I wanted. I've changed hundreds if not thousands of tires (combined m/c - car-truck)and not once did I scratch the rim with the changer. Scratched a friends gsxr wheel with bead breaker....but never the arm on the rim clamp machine. It wasnt a coats $10K unit...I think retail back in the mid 90's was $3.5K or so. It had a plastic mount/demount head that would break before it would damage anything.

Not dissing anyone, just saying if someone wants to be careful and not scratch rims it can be done...It just takes a little effort.

Personally I think scratches add character to a supermoto....tell them to give you your money back for the labor and call it a day... its really not worth the hassle
    07 SXV 550

Search "Oreodoodles" on YouTube for my videos

i agree that they scratched them. and yes they should be responsisble for it, but quickly talking about sueing over a few scratches is stupid. now expecting new hoops is silly as well. i like spences idea give me back my labor money. does anyone go out a buy new rims when the chain eats up the hoop...nope ya rock it. i hate when people jump to sueing so quickly over some little scratches. come on now.

i agree that they scratched them. and yes they should be responsisble for it, but quickly talking about sueing over a few scratches is stupid. now expecting new hoops is silly as well. i like spences idea give me back my labor money. does anyone go out a buy new rims when the chain eats up the hoop...nope ya rock it. i hate when people jump to sueing so quickly over some little scratches. come on now.
    i agree to a point,but the day will come that you pay 2g's for new wheels and if so shop scratched them you wouldnt be fine with free labor,lol if the shop cant promise you no scratches its a place you dont do business with

btw hows the new crf coming along? shes looking good man

I just got a text message about this thread. I read the title and expected to see some jacked up rims. When I saw the pics I bust out laughin.
    If your that worried about a few surface scratches then it sounds like you should be in the sportbike scene.
    05 KTM SMC - SOLD

I can relate. If anybody's gonna beat up my shit it's gonna be me. They best not assume that they can beat it up 'cause it'll look that way eventually. If it's beat up when I take it in, no issues. If it looks new when I take it in it better come back looking that way too. If they can't or don't wanna do the job, for whatever reason, tell me. I'll take it somewhere else. If they accept the risk of working on my 'delicate shit' (by their own admission) and it don't work out...be ready to kick down some coin.

You guys that have been to 3 or 5 dealerships in your whole life, maybe this ain't a big deal to you. But when you've seen hundreds this crap gets old real fast. You get tired of giving people your money for slack workmanship.
    Last edited by Chase; 10-30-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    The Suspension Answer-man:
    FastBikeIndustries.com

You all laugh because I'm different.
    I laugh because you're all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2Race View Post
    I just got a text message about this thread. I read the title and expected to see some jacked up rims. When I saw the pics I bust out laughin.
    If your that worried about a few surface scratches then it sounds like you should be in the sportbike scene.
    I should be in the sportbike scene because I care when people damage my property? if thats what that means than your right.

if a tire shop scratches the rims on my car, what scene do I belong to then?

***is there some supermoto clone stereotype you are supposed to go by?
    Last edited by DaVinci312; 10-30-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2Race View Post
    can you make yourself look any more ignorant ?
    what on gods earth does a sport bike have to do with this?????
    so by your own words some one can make some surface scratches on any of your property its fine with you!! right!!!???

!!lol shaka bra
    Last edited by masterpea; 10-30-2009 at 08:59 PM.

ever think you should talk to the shop and see what they offer for you? they give you labor back you go buy some black touch up paint pull your head out of your ass and go ride.

You'll never see those scratches at 70mph or turning or if your on the bike. in fact if you do see them it just means its time to ride.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Read

The shop wasnt a large dealership, and the guy said when I called them yesterday that hed been changing tires fro 30 years and there wasnt no way around it.

Anyway when I got there, I went and spoke to the co managers owner people, got them to come look at the wheels, and all they said they could do it "smooth out the burrs" in my gouged aluminum, and "touch it up with black gloss paint."

He even went on to say I should have known that they would be scratched, and when he told me there wasn't anyway around no scratching the wheels. I told him I spoke with another installer yesterday, as well as, my uncle who both said the exact opposite.
    He also said I was liable for letting them change the tire, shit was crazy.

In the end I told him I wanted my wheels to be how they were when I brought them in, scratch free, and he said they could have been like this before, I said they were stock tires that were taken off, and he said the stock tires covered the scratches before, and with the new contis they were shown.