SuperMoto Junkie banner

How much oil does a wr250x need and what kind of oil is the best?

28K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Angel of Death 
#1 ·
And does synthetic oil make it run better for some reason? Thanks.

#2 ·
Asking what is the "best" oil is like asking what is the "best" religion. It depends on who you talk to.

How much oil also depends on if you replace the filter or not, and where you live.

I have no idea who would change oil but not replace the filter, but if you look in the service manual they give you the numbers for both.

The service manual calls out 1.48 US qt, 1.40 L, or 1.23 Imp. qt (with filter change)

I have been using Amsoil which is really expensive relative to other oils.
Many people swear by Yamalube.

#3 ·
Perfectly said, Grendel336!

I use either Castrol GTX that I get in a big gallon-type jug. It's regular ol' oil.

And I've used Mobil 1 4t for about $3.99 a quart.

The only real point of agreement on every oil thread that turns into a discussion of scientific data and personal anecdotes is the fact you must change your oil, and the more you do it the better. More important than oil type.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info, i never got a service manual and i live in Hawaii so i'm not sure about the elevation levels. I will be clutching the bike and hopefully stunting it. I'll PM the local riders when i break in the bike. How's the royal purple oil treating you?

#10 · (Edited)
-1 in front feels fine. It give the bike a little more grunt off the line.

I suck ballz at wheelies so I can't answer that.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=90099 <--- see

I know there are a couple guys here that stunt the wr250x so maybe they can chime in if they read this thread.

Freeways are fine relative to the 13t.

#14 ·
Well, I just switched to Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 5w40. Some like it, some don't. I like it so far. If the bike croaks, I'll change my frickin' mind pretty fast. Watch me.

Otherwise, shifts smooth for me and clutch works fine. The horror stories about synth ruining bike clutches might be true with some synths, but not so far for me with this one. Or any other synth I've run in a bike. Your mileage my effin' vary.

Michael

edit: BTW, they take 19 quarts. OK, I'm messin' with ya. Don't remember exactly. Think it's 1.3L?? little help here...??

#16 ·
Yeah, the bikes come stock from Japan with some kind of regular 10/40 oil as far as I know.

Yes, Yamlube comes in a 15/50 full synthetic.
I used it all lat year in my 2008 WR-250R (dual-purpose version of the WR-250X) and my 2009 WR-250F.
It comes in a gold-colored Yamalube bottle. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.