Thread: My 1984 Yamaha XT 600 supermoto.

Default My 1984 Yamaha XT 600 supermoto.

Hi.

Here is my 1984 Yamaha XT600 in it´s current state. Still have to mount the bashplate and a few other details.

Modifications so far:

Racing header from ABP Racing in Germany.
    Shortened "Muzzy" exhaust.
    Stage 1 cam from ABP Racing.
    Cylinderhead ported by ABP Racing.
    Twin 34mm Mikuni flatslide carbs replacing the original 26 and 30mm carbs.
    UFO Supermoto front fender.
    UFO YZF 250/450 front numberplate.
    Oilcooler from an old GPZ.
    Behr 3,5 and 4,25 rims fitted to original hubs.

Still to come.
    Mount R6 brake rotor along with Nissin 4 pot caliber from an older GSXR 750.
    Possible fabrication of a new rear subframe.

BRGDS
    Tinus
    Denmark

`84 XT 600 "Super"moto

I like that... Nice job !!

Makes me want an XT600..

Nice job.

awesome man. A real man's supermoto is one that he made himself!

+1 on the old school too!

Damn nice job man!!!
    Living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween.

Items for Sale

love what you did with that!

Thumbs up

Sweet!
    The Suspension Answer-man:
    FastBikeIndustries.com

You all laugh because I'm different.
    I laugh because you're all the same.

Thanks for the comments guys.
    I´m breaking in a new set of piston rings, so I have to drive it very careful for the first 500km, which is rather painful for me, as it´s just begging to be driven hard...:-)
    Looking forward to be able to pour on the coals again, and see if the 430€ for the porting job was well spent.
    BRGDS
    Tinus
    Denmark

`84 XT 600 "Super"moto

dude one thing you really need to do is figure out how to convert ur rear drum into disc, so unsafe..... otherwise i'd say thats badass goodluck
    2008 YZ250F (Fully Built)
    2009 WR250x
    Powercore 4 Slip-on, K&N Highflow Filter, Air Lid Removed, Zeta ZX Handguards w/ Blinkers, Fender Eliminator w/ LED Blinkers, Custom RedBull Shock Resivoir Cover, H.I.D 12000k, Custom Front Fender, Pro Taper Bar Pad, Custom Paint, Frame Sliders, Muffler Slider

Quote Originally Posted by pelle_gris View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    I´m breaking in a new set of piston rings, so I have to drive it very careful for the first 500km.
    If you want to really seat those rings properly, you should give it some real good acceleration and deceleration through the gears, no constant speeds. At least thats what most believe.

When I broke in my DRZ I was somewhat careful for the first 50 (probably less) then started giving it about 80% accel/decel everywhere.

After about, lets say 200 miles, the rings would be seated about as much as they ever will be.

I took "knockout´s" advice, and have been running the engine a bit harder recently. Much more fun than lolling about at near idle for 500 km... :-)

Actually the rear brake works very well indeed. Quite powerful, and easy to manage, so I´m not planning on changing it in the near future.

I have found out that apparently a 320mm disc from a new XTX660 fits the standard hub, so I may be looking for one of those instead of messing with the R6 disc which will need a spacer before I can use it.

Another future project will involve mounting dual exhausts if I can find a cheap set at the junkyard. I absolutely refuse to pay rediculous amounts of money for a bit of stainless tube and some aluminium plugs I can make myself...:-)
    BRGDS
    Tinus
    Denmark

`84 XT 600 "Super"moto

I like the minimalistic look!

One thing I'd change though is the location of the oil cooler. Some rock is going to hit it sooner or later.

Very few bikes look better stripped down...and this is one of them. It looks great.

I agree on the break-in advice. I broke in one motor by the book, and it had bad ring seal, lots of blow by, and used a bit of oil for thousands of miles.

The next one I rode as normal, just without any extended high rpm use, and no crawling stop and go traffic. Broke in properly almost instantly.

Cool bike!!
    On new motor; on first start let it warm up, then go run her up and down the RPM rang. Use WOT and down shift alot. After a few miles go home and chang the oil.
    2013 WR450SM
    Best youtube channel EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    youtube.com/thegardensnake
    http://www.facebook.com/TheGardenSnake

thats is by far the coolest conversion i have seen in a very long timeQ!!!!!!!

cheers logan

nice and simple

Nice. I am having flashbacks of the old school movie "Winners Take All" when they build the bike at the end.

it's great!

Hello pelle gris. i love your bike. can i ask, do you know if its possible to modify a 250 xt cylinder, to a 600 ? can i keep the gearbox ?

Very nice bike man!!!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

@Peter
    Don´t think that the 600 and 250 engines share any components. First of all the the 600 has an 84mm stroke where the 250 only have 73,5mm so even if you manage to fit the 600 cylinder/piston on the bike the stroke is stille way off.
    BRGDS
    Tinus
    Denmark

`84 XT 600 "Super"moto

Red face Hej pelle gris

Jeg kan ikke finde nogen dokumentation på min xt 250. men den set meget ud som om at den er identisk med din, dog skulle min efter sign være fa 2002, har dog kigget på alle modeller fra 2002. på nettet og kan ingen fide der ligner den. min motor ligner din men topstykket og cylenderen virker en anelse mindre.. mit problem er i høj grad at jeg er på fillipinerne og der ikke er nogen hernede der kan give mig et brugbart svar.. jeg er selv typen ikke tager et nej for et svar. jeg finder altid en løsning. jeg forstår natuligvis hva du siger med slaglængden, dog undre det mig at min gearbox ligner din til forveksling.. alting ligner din så jeg er begyndt og tænke på om min rent faktisk er en 600 ccm. jeg syntes ikke jeg kan finde en 250 ccm med den type af motor eller lign.. Jeg er ret forvirret.. håber du kan hjælpe mig lidt på vej.. jeg har ikke noget værksted eller ville jeg nok ha splittet den ad og fundet ud af det.

wow that is stunning!!!! i love it!! it definetly looks better stripped down and with sumo wheels!!! how does it handle?

Quote Originally Posted by peterkjaerlarsen View Post
    Jeg kan ikke finde nogen dokumentation på min xt 250. men den set meget ud som om at den er identisk med din, dog skulle min efter sign være fa 2002, har dog kigget på alle modeller fra 2002. på nettet og kan ingen fide der ligner den. min motor ligner din men topstykket og cylenderen virker en anelse mindre.. mit problem er i høj grad at jeg er på fillipinerne og der ikke er nogen hernede der kan give mig et brugbart svar.. jeg er selv typen ikke tager et nej for et svar. jeg finder altid en løsning. jeg forstår natuligvis hva du siger med slaglængden, dog undre det mig at min gearbox ligner din til forveksling.. alting ligner din så jeg er begyndt og tænke på om min rent faktisk er en 600 ccm. jeg syntes ikke jeg kan finde en 250 ccm med den type af motor eller lign.. Jeg er ret forvirret.. håber du kan hjælpe mig lidt på vej.. jeg har ikke noget værksted eller ville jeg nok ha splittet den ad og fundet ud af det.
    I know right
    2013 WR450SM
    Best youtube channel EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    youtube.com/thegardensnake
    http://www.facebook.com/TheGardenSnake

Quote Originally Posted by TheGarden View Post
    I know right
    hahaha yeah I thought that too!

anyways, great build Pele_Gris!

if you painted it flat black, it'll look more aggressive IMO

i think it should be called the sext 660..... it looks really good, suits the xt's rugged and slightly agricultural image down to the ground!!!!

Default its danish dude

pelle gris is danish atleast thats what his plate says

Default This is the bike that does not excist

but here its an xt 249 cc 4 valve engine.. and i believe its from 1988.

So far the engine has been "fixed" mufler modified xt 2009 design but stainles steel, the bike came with drum brakes fron and back, so this i have changed. a couple of other things which not important, gradually changeing it to look better, i really pullsled about the design, and how the headlight should be but i like your style pelle gris, and are therefor thinking to remove the headligt and make an LED thing in the front bumper..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the headlight placement. Is there one on the other side too? or just one?
    hmmm:Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
    1997 XR400R 2005 ex500 2000 xr100
    1986 cmx 450 bobber project GoPro 960HD

@ Peter. Your bikes engine does look a bit like mine, but the rest of the bike makes me think that you may have an XT 350.
    There should be a model code somewhere on the engine block, in my case it´s 43F, which your should be able to trace. Google is your friend...:-)

@ Sectrew. Yeah, I have two headlights. Eventually they will be wired so the left only is used for low beam, and both together as high beam.
    Actually they are 12V kitchen spots/downlights built into homemade housings, but they light up at least as good as the stock headlight.

I bought a set of used R1 stock exhausts which will be mounted shortly. Shortening them 8cm or so will make them sound really cool. A friend has a single modded R1 exhaust on his XT, and it has just the right amount of bark when opening the throttle.
    At the moment mine will set off car alarms just by driving past parked cars, and eventually the cops will take notice and make me have a bad day.. :-)
    BRGDS
    Tinus
    Denmark

`84 XT 600 "Super"moto

pimpin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Would be nice if it was a 2 stroke.

man ive been looking all around this forum for this bike. I LOVE IT. really is inspiration for the exact style bike i want to build. great job!

Good job! I dont think that you will have any benefit of having 2 exhaust cans... except for added weight :P

And try to find some aftermarket XTX brake components (rotor/calipers/pads) because stock brakes suck

The benefit of having two exhaust cans is that it looks cool. :-)
    By now the left side looks kinda naked due to the missing plastic, so to "fill in" the void I thought that a nice titanium can would do nicely... :-)

I have been looking around for a slightly used XTX 660 rotor but I have yet to find one.
    I absolutly refuse to pay the price the manufactures want for a stupid slab of iron.
    When I eventually find a used disc I may make a new outer ring myself and fit it to the center using the nipples if it´s too worn to work anymore.
    But so far no luck.

I have a nice 298mm R6 rotor but that will require the use of a spacer to make the caliper clear the spokes. This is also possible but it does require a bit more work.

For now I have mounted a brakehandle/master from a GSXR or something like that, and even with the stock single pot caliper/disk the braking is much improved.

Attached is a picture of a friends ´86 XT600, It´s equipped with a single cut down R1 exhaust too, and it sounds wicked. So mounting two must sound twice as good... :-)
    Last edited by pelle_gris; 05-28-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
    BRGDS
    Tinus
    Denmark

`84 XT 600 "Super"moto

Update.

I finally got the two R1 exhausts mounted, but it did take a lot of time since running the pipework to the the left exhaust took a LOT of headwork as well as a lot of time cutting and welding.
    I can´t take credit for much more than the idea, sine the actual fabrication was performed by a good friend. I only cut where I was told to, and generally got in the way..:-)

Still to do is fitting the 320mm brakerotor I bought off ebay recently, but that will have to wait to next year I guess.
    BRGDS
    Tinus
    Denmark

`84 XT 600 "Super"moto

very different and very cool...
    Brian # 30

KTM 450 SMR

"Everyday is a good day" Just some days are better than others

Sweet XT6!

Almost done with sorting out mine.....

Also had some porting done along with a fresh set of rings....
    She really breathes well now!
    Nothin' like Ridin' SlideWays

Awesome, thats all i can say. Would really like to build my XT the same way, but with the plastics on it. Whats the handlebar and how long is it?

Greetz

Default Xt 350

I whant to conver my 94 Xt350 into a sueper moto

I alredy have the rear tire 17"

I Need help with the Front wheel- wich wheel is compatible if I whant to put a 17" in the front?
    Last edited by AngelTosado; 01-28-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelle_gris View Post
    Update.

I finally got the two R1 exhausts mounted, but it did take a lot of time since running the pipework to the the left exhaust took a LOT of headwork as well as a lot of time cutting and welding.
    I can´t take credit for much more than the idea, sine the actual fabrication was performed by a good friend. I only cut where I was told to, and generally got in the way..:-)

Still to do is fitting the 320mm brakerotor I bought off ebay recently, but that will have to wait to next year I guess.
    Did you have any problems getting it inspected with the ebay tail light?

my yamaha xt 600

go big or go home....

Thats awesome!!! Never would have expected that.

Default oil tank relocation

pelle_gris, i own a 1989 XT600 as well and i would like to either add a custom oil tank or remove it completely. what did you do on your bike??

Im Envying your bike man.. Great job what Carbs are you running on the bike??