Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: New or Prospective Members Please Read This First

Default Dan husqvarna smr 510 newbie!!

Hi everyone i passed my bike test friday morning and i have finally insured and been out on my smr 510 . im 28 years old and got the bug for these crazy agile machines when i was 20 when i had a nice shiny new Husqvarna sms 125 2stroke. I have dabbled about with cars for the last 7.5 years and finally saw sense this summer when i booked my das course and purchased my 2008 smr 510 i have a load of questions to ask and i am a little rusty with forums so any help and advise is greatly appreciated thankyou all

Default Hello from the South coast

QUOTE=450XSM;876560]Welcome to SMJ, we are more than happy to have the opportunity to further infect you with the Supermoto Virus!

But first..., this section of the forum is typically the best place for your first post and is specifically for you to introduce yourself to the rest of the membership and perhaps tell us a little about yourself if you would like to do so. Feel free to give us the same kind of info you would introduce yourself to any new group with. Remember we are an international group and enjoy learning where you live, your riding background and/or what brought you to either own (or be intersted in) supermotos.

Remember, this spot is for your introduction and NOT the best place for your {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\ questions, we have just met you. Our interest in this section is to see who you are, where you are from and find out a little about you since you have just joined our community. There are plenty of different specific sections in the forum that are vastly more appropriate for your questions and they will get more attention there .

Chances are also pretty good that your first questions may have been covered before as well. Please take the time to do some research on your specific concerns by simply trolling (or cruising) different forums that interest you to see if they have previously been or are currently being discussed.
    You can also do more specific research by employing the SEARCH BUTTON underneath the header banner at the top of the page. Enter key words for whatever interests you (i.e. "Best Street Tard", "", "megan fox' , "street-legal requirements", etc.) and you are more than likely to get several pages of information to sate your curiosity.

Now that we have been introduced and you have done some preliminary reasearch, feel free to fire away with questions, comments, concerns, observations, ride alerts, ride reports or whatever. And always remember, every post is better if you can work in a pic. In fact, some demand them![/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Laxxin93 View Post
    i just figured those bikes are virtually excuse my french retard proof. i'd love to get an aprilia or a husqvarna but me not being mechanically trained on anything but bmws (cars, not bikes) the valve checks would fuck me to have done at a shop. any suggestions? beside the wr haha im trolling craigslist as we speak
    Valve checks are no big deal, takes maybe 5 minutes to do. The real time waster is pulling and draining the tank and removing the valve cover. Adjusting them can take a little longer if you have shims but its really not hard, I would rate it at 4 out of 10 on a scale. Changing a tire is much more of a chore. Also I'm over here in franklin square if you have any questions or see me around I'm on a husky 450. I would push you away from doing a conversion if your trying to save money. Look at the klx250sf if you can get over the lack of power they can be found for cheap sometimes under 3g
    Bikes -
    2000 TTR 125 - Sold
    2003 Yz 125 - Sold
    2001 DR Z400E - Sold
    2009 SM450R - Worth every penny

Hi my names Steve and I've just completed the first week on my new supermoto.
    I'm 29 and have had bikes since I was 20 my first being a Aprilia rs 125 2stroke. Followed by an sv 650,A k4 gsxr 600, another sv until family and bills demanded the money and time so had to give bike up for a car :(
    So now anyway I've managed to wangle a suzuki dr 125 sm as a cheap compromise and having never rode a motocross or supermoto before am really enjoying it. Yes there is clearly a lack of power and struggling to loft the front wheel like on my other bikes but will get there after a bit of practice.
    I was thinking after a couple of years to save and get a street bike or cheap sports bike again but am really loving the low running cost and fuel consumption so hopefully come next autumn will manage to get a drz 400sm or wr250x.
    I've recently purchased a new motocross style lid and goggles too and given the race rep Arai the boot so pretty sure I can get on a bigger cc tard pretty soon

Default Picking up my SMS630 next Monday!!

Hello. Michael here living in Williamsport, PA. Just turned 40. Currently riding a Suzuki C109R(1800) Boulevard. Great on the roads here. My Yamaha FZ1(1000) is being sold. Super Fun and fast but I've wanted a Supermoto for a while. Don't have room for 3 bikes. Looked at Husabergs, Huskys and KTMs hard; and everything else. Picking up a 2011 Husqvarna SMS630 next week. Super stoked. 1800 miles, mint condition, Wings Titanium Exhaust. Not sure of any other mods. Two guys at work have CRF 450s and have been on me about getting a dual sport. Planning on riding the Husky on and off road from the get go. Great twisties here. Ready to explore the trails, too.

Default Supermoto 355 From Thailand

Hello
    I am delighted to be present. Supermoto From Thailand
    husky 355 ....
    [IMG][/IMG]

Soon with a new project. Aprilia 355 Level of competition.

Last edited by datayoung_355; 10-26-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Welcome man! And damn! These are two sweet bikes.
    Project Va-Jay-Jay Magnet! 2003 WR450F
    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...t!-2003-WR450F

Default New to the forum

My name is Austin I live in Nebraska and here's my riding history I started off on a xr 80 dirt bike then I out growen that I got a 100cc Honda then when we sold that I went to the 1976 ke 175 enduro.i really want to get a supermoto because I don't really want to give up the dirt completely and I like how light they are. I just want to get a good starter bike for me something with low work to do on in I'm thinking like a drz but what are your guys opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lincoln View Post
    My name is Austin I live in Nebraska and here's my riding history I started off on a xr 80 dirt bike then I out growen that I got a 100cc Honda then when we sold that I went to the 1976 ke 175 enduro.i really want to get a supermoto because I don't really want to give up the dirt completely and I like how light they are. I just want to get a good starter bike for me something with low work to do on in I'm thinking like a drz but what are your guys opinions
    Welcome! Your are deffinetly on the right track considering a supermoto. Have you ever considerer a WR250X? As a beginner supermoto, I would deffinetly look into either a WR250X or DRZ. I bought a 2009 WR250X three years ago, as my first bike I have ever driven and never regretted it. I bought myself a 2003 WR450 two years ago, sold my 250X last winter and built up my 450 into a supermoto this year. I never regretted buying the 250, I would consider it, as it is reliable, easy to maintain, affordable, and has a pretty good resale value. I'm sure that if I would have bought the start, I would of ate shit pretty fast, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by 250rider View Post
    Welcome! Your are deffinetly on the right track considering a supermoto. Have you ever considerer a WR250X? As a beginner supermoto, I would deffinetly look into either a WR250X or DRZ. I bought a 2009 WR250X three years ago, as my first bike I have ever driven and never regretted it. I bought myself a 2003 WR450 two years ago, sold my 250X last winter and built up my 450 into a supermoto this year. I never regretted buying the 250, I would consider it, as it is reliable, easy to maintain, affordable, and has a pretty good resale value. I'm sure that if I would have bought the start, I would of ate shit pretty fast, haha.
    The only thing that really sucks in nerbaska is that it can't be a converted dirt bike they won't let me license it that really sucks here

Hello everyone, my name is Sean I'm 21 and from Wichita, Ks. I have been riding for three years mostly cruisers (vstar and a gay loud ass harley) finally caught the supermoto bug and got a hold of a 06 drz400sm two months ago. I have enjoyed every moment on the bike even in the current 20ish degree weather. Seems to be no supermotos in wichita so if you have one and want to ride together message me.

Thumbs up Canadian, new here.

Names James. Canadian man. Coming from Winter land and wanting to learn the way of the sumo's.

Grew up riding my Mtn bike and my CRF250R.

Here to learn as much as possible to make a well informed purchasing decision for my first SuperMoto.

On a side note though, whats the best way to upload a photo? I cant seem to upload right from the desktop. photos are 'to large'.
    whats a good method aside from attempting to bring it from the desktop?

Welcoming to first purchase suggestions provided that the knowledge is there to back up the statement..

Quote Originally Posted by lucid_rider View Post
    Names James. Canadian man. Coming from Winter land and wanting to learn the way of the sumo's.

Here to learn as much as possible to make a well informed purchasing decision for my first SuperMoto.

On a side note though, whats the best way to upload a photo? I cant seem to upload right from the desktop. photos are 'to large'.

Welcoming to first purchase suggestions provided that the knowledge is there to back up the statement..
    Welcome! Another Canadian! Where abouts are you from? I'm sure we will be able to guide you in the right way for a bike choice. I always use photobucket and then all I need to do is copy the IMG link and then paste in on here. I have the app on my phone, so I can just snap pics then send them through wifi to your library.
    http://photobucket.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lucid_rider View Post

Welcome to SMJ!

If you can convert a bike my first suggestion would be a WR450. However if that's not doable then I would look into KTM.

The DRZ is a reliable option but leaves most owners searching for more power and then you're still stuck with a heavy bike.

Cool Hey James

Welcome to SMJ.
    I grew up on bmx, mtn bikes and motocross.
    I use Google Photos for my photo storage, then just link the photo.
    What bikes have you been thinking about / looking at?
    Are you looking for performance or reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by crash279 View Post
    If you can convert a bike my first suggestion would be a WR450.
    Can't be done anymore in Canada...
    Last edited by Evol; 12-22-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    '10 wr250x

Quote Originally Posted by Evol View Post
    Welcome to SMJ.
    I grew up on bmx, mtn bikes and motocross.
    I use Google Photos for my photo storage, then just link the photo.
    What bikes have you been thinking about / looking at?
    Are you looking for performance or reliability?

Can't be done anymore in Canada...
    Here is a quote from a friend on NBDSC.ca
    "Here was the process for me:
    - Buy the bike from Toys for Big Boys in fall 2012.
    - Immediately go to SNB; "I just bought this bike, but it's not registered for the street. Please reclassify to street legal". SNB response; "You need to have a letter from Yamaha stating it's got everything required, or have the bike certified (Malleys, or some other guy... they gave me the numbers to call) in order to change it over"
    - Immediately go to another SNB; "I just bought this bike, but it's not registered for the street. Please reclassify to street legal". SNB response; "You need to have a letter from Yamaha stating it's got everything required, or have the bike certified (Malleys, or some other guy... they gave me the numbers to call) in order to change it over"
    - Winter 2013: Get a Trail Tech Vapor computer($130) as well as replace every bearing on the bike.
    - Summer 2013: Buy a Tusk Enduro lighting kit, and spend 3 evenings wiring it in and setting it up... $218 shipped.
    - Bring the bike to Motoplex (see Shawn in the service department). They spend an hour going over everything to make sure it's legit and 'roadworthy' and provide you with a signed sheet of everything they checked on Yamaha letterhead... $89 + tax. NOTE: I only had dirt tires on the bike but that wasn't a big deal. They want everything else to work well and be mechanically sound. I think they will test drive as well.
    - Call for Insurance... $121 (TD/Meloche Monnex w/ PTech designation through NBSCETT). 1/3 the price I got from Johnsons which was the only other place I called that would insure the WR. I'm going to look changing my cars and house over there. All you Engineers/Technologists should really check it out.
    - Go back to SNB (in this case Dieppe which is close to work) with
    1) Plate
    2) Registration
    3) Proof of Insurance
    4) Signed sheet from Yamaha (or whomever YOUR bike manufacturer is)
    5) $90... since I hadnt already regisered it this year
    - They review everything thoroughly and you leave with plate. No questions asked."

Lightbulb

That would be awesome if I could do that here in Quebec, where if it says "Off Road Only" on the frame as the WR450 does, nothing you do or say will get it registered.
    '10 wr250x

Hello,

My name is Dennis and i'm infected with the supermotard-virus

I've had many motorcycles but I like my Husqvarna the best!

This is the best site in the world so i'm glad to join you guys.. I hope you can help me with my questions

Ok bye!

Sup world. Lookin to learn about this style . Just bought a crf250L, got a cbr1000rr, had a sv650s and a cbr600rr.
    Using Tapatalk

Hi guys. Very cool forum. I am From Sydney and I ride a xt660x. Love my bike even though the purists may nay say it :-).
    Using Tapatalk

Hey, guys. Looking to jump into the supermoto world within the next few weeks after I get a barely used Ktm 690 smc. Can't wait!

Hello all,

Been riding since.....a long time ago. Owned a few sportbikes in my time, and currently own a 06 GSXR 600. Since returning from the Sandbox, Iv'e got the urge for a Supermoto/Off road bike, depending on my mood that day. A few friends do ADV trails on the weekends then in the summer months head to the Road Course. Love doing track days with my GSXr and would love to try my hand at a Motard. Been looking for a DRZ400 or equivalant.

Default New Junkie

Heyo! I'm from Toronto Canada and have been riding on the street since I was 18 (now 29, wow, that made me feel old). My first bike (on the street) was an EX500, then 3 months later I outgrew that and upgraded to a crashed CBR900RR which I rebuild into a streetfightered stunter. Few seasons on that I sold It for a F4i that I also did the same with. Then years of police harassment made me park it and just go back to motocross(CR250, yea I'm a honda guy).

Supermoto has always interested me, but the amount of highway riding I did and high maintenance kept me from buying one. But now that I want to get back into street riding, the cheap insurance and low maintenance of the DRZ400SM sold me on buying one(I have a 2012). But the lack of power and a 6th gear leaves me wanting more, so I'm planning on buying my friends Husky 510SMR (fuel injected) this season or next depending on finances. Only concern I have about the husky is that if something goes wrong parts might be expensive or hard to come by oin a fuel injected bike vs a carbed one. I like keeping things basic so there are fewer things to go wrong (that's why I drive a diesel truck from the early 80's).
    Last edited by Corpse; 03-07-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Default Noob Needs Help

New to the site and new to Super Motos. Been only biking for about 5 years but much of it was done in West Africa... where there are pretty much no rules or expectations; if you can buy or steal a bike you can ride it. I've decided that I want to get back into biking, and given the dual sport biking I did over there I think Super Motos might be the place for me. I was hoping to use this forum to learn more about bikes, gear, techniques and maybe meet up with others in the area who are down to ride.

I apologize in advance if my questions are insanely noobish.

Hello everyone, I'm fron PSL, FL. I've been looking at supermotos for awhile already. I never rode a motorcycle, and I believe that a supermoto would be the best kind of street bike to learn off of. Im currently saving up for one, but getting very close to getting one. Very excited. Im hoping to learn from your experience, and use them as well.

Default new

hey guys, new to supermoto as of this week.

I have been looking for an mx to street convert for years and finally found a 2005 CRF450X that caught my eye. It was already converted to supermoto and titled so I couldn't resist. I have been riding mx for about 13 years and supermoto has always intrigued me, I look forward to putting some hours on the bike. From Charleston, SC.

Here is pic with the new graphics on it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Default ima newb

whats up guys, im the neeeewwbb. looking at picking up a husky smr 510 in the next few weeks, ill keep ya posted

Hey guys I'm new to the site. I've been riding for 5 years but just switched to a drz400sm. It brought back a lot of memories of my dirt riding in the past. I live in central FL in the Valrico/Brandon area. Looking for some weekend meet up rides. Anyone live around this area?
    Using Tapatalk

Hello SupermotoJunkies.

We are a group of friends with mechanical engineering background and all of us shared the same love for supermotos.
    Because we feel that there are some products we would like to see on our supermotos that don't exist in the market today, we created Axiis.
    Our first product is a WR450F (2007-2011) passenger peg.
    We give high attention to details and our quality standards are very high.

We hope you like our products.

Please check us at:

www.axiis-ea.com or www.facebook.com/axiis.ea
    Last edited by Axiis; 1 Week Ago at 05:48 PM.

Hi there everyone,

Lee from Kent, UK.
    Just bought a KTM 690 sm in standard trim for a bit of road fun only (at the moment). Would like to meet any other riders who are local to me for ride outs. (Ps. Relative noobie)
    Using Tapatalk

Hey everyone I'm new to the site. Been riding sportbikes for the past 5 yrs and currently ride a 04 gsxr 600. Been real intrigued by supermotos and am now on the hunt for a drz 400 our equivalent. Anyone around the Cincinnati area?
    Using Tapatalk

Another newbie here from Clay NY (CNY). Been riding since I was a kid, dirt bikes, cruisers, sport bikes, and now supermoto. I bought a WR250x last August. When the weather breaks, its f'n snowing right now....I want to go riding, anyone local here in CNY? Looking to go exploring for some trails -n- twisties. I've worked the night shift for the last 7 years and am finally going to days starting in May. So yeah I may need to become socialized again! Looking forward to meeting people and learning more about the sport. I know a couple good spots to go like the infamous 13 curves.

Smile Getting ready to buy a wr250x

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and mainly registered to asked a few questions. I'm getting ready to purchase a 2008 WR250X. It has 3000 miles, new Avon distanzias, an fisher custom gel seat, and a $450 Tom Tom motorcycle GPS included. The guy has it listed at $3800 and I was wondering if it is a good deal or not. Besides a few minor scuffs/scratches. He said they were there but I can't even see them in the pictures.

So my question is is it a good buy for the price? It books for right at $3600 stock and he is throwing in the GPS and brand new tires.

Thanks for the help guys.

I bought my 08 with around 5000 miles pretty much bone stock for 3200, talked him down from 3500. I thought that was a little high but acceptable. If the accessories/upgrades are ones you would have done anyway doesn't sound too bad. I think most of the time people don't consider the upgrades much when buying. Good luck, hope it works out for you!

Default CNY Newbie

Hi! My name is Eric Foote (Hence the user name lol), 19 years old from the Ithaca, NY area. Ive ridden motocross since 2nd grade, but unfortunately had to take a break from the sport due to my constantly dislocating shoulders and college attendance. So, my substitution is to get myself a motard . I bought myself a 2007 DRZ400SM off my brother. Its got the Yoshimura 1 into 2 pipes on it... rs-4 i think? Its got about 10200 miles and its basically stock other than the pipes. Im loving it so far and Ive got all my friends on crotch rockets jealous because they cant come close to keeping up with me on the twisty roads. I look forward to getting it all souped up and hopefully tearing up the streets with some fellow tarders!

Quote Originally Posted by sumobraaper View Post
    Another newbie here from Clay NY (CNY). Been riding since I was a kid, dirt bikes, cruisers, sport bikes, and now supermoto. I bought a WR250x last August. When the weather breaks, its f'n snowing right now....I want to go riding, anyone local here in CNY? Looking to go exploring for some trails -n- twisties. I've worked the night shift for the last 7 years and am finally going to days starting in May. So yeah I may need to become socialized again! Looking forward to meeting people and learning more about the sport. I know a couple good spots to go like the infamous 13 curves.
    Hey, im a newbie from CNY too! Im out of dryden, i actually bought my bike from my brother who lives in liverpool! Definitely cant wait for the damn weather to break... Damn snow...