Thread: drz400sm restrictor

Default drz400sm restrictor

hey guys great site.need some help just bought 09 drz400sm uk spec a few months back which was restricted from the shop.Does anyone know how its done or more to the point how do i undo it? Any help would great. cheers folks

restricted? how so?

Just passed my test few months back first bike,its been restricted to 33hp.Its the law cann't ride anything over 33hp.

just passed test few months back first bike needs to be restricted to 33hp

Did they put a throttle stop, or change the jetting, or further restrict air flow?

What law?? Yours? The bike comes from the factory like that, its not restricted its how it is, you have to buy performance parts to get more out of it.
    Do some searching in here you'll find what you need.
    If you can't get it done with 40 hp you shouldn't try it.

I think it must be throttle doesn't seem to be anything restricting airflow from airbox to carb to head, jetting hasn't changed

Quote Originally Posted by lunder View Post
    What law?? Yours? The bike comes from the factory like that, its not restricted its how it is, you have to buy performance parts to get more out of it.
    Do some searching in here you'll find what you need.

haha, i was thinking the same thing but i didnt want to say it.... and who knows, they do weird things over there so maybe something on it is tweaked (maybe??)

take it to the shop and tell them you want it "derestricted"

I have a friend in England, and she said the same thing. You could get a CBR600RR, and they'd have to restrict it down to around that. I don't know the specifics, though.

Gotta love tiered licensing...

Yea im a big NSR, TZR fan and they are restricted as well in he UK. I would guess that it has an exhaust plate somewhere in it. I would check either where the header meets the head or silencer. Then jet to match. ( i would just put a jet kit in at that point anyway)
    Use the search button!!!
    Cool Enduro!! No its a SuperMoto ........nevermind.
    2-Strokes for life!
    2006 DRZ400SM Sold, 1984 Z50R SOLD, 2001 XR100, 2002 YZ250 SM Sold, 88 Hawk GT RC31, 04 CR85 SM! 2008 Husky SM510R, 2001 KTM200EXC

In the UK if you pass your test when your under 21 you are restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. After 2 years your allowed any power. You can have any bike as long as its 33bhp (can be a busa if you want lol).

Restriction wise its often a washer in the carb inlet but I'm not sure on a DRZ. How much travel has the throttle got and can anyone else with a DRZ measure theirs to help him out. Changing the jetting wouldn't restrict it, just make it run very lean. Some bikes are restricted by the CDI/ECU. Then you would need to buy a standard one and just change it over.

I very much doubt its restricted with a washer in the exhaust. The bikes are only restricted for people with the restricted licence. You can still buy a full power DRZ if you have a full unrestricted licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Howell View Post
    I very much doubt its restricted with a washer in the exhaust. The bikes are only restricted for people with the restricted licence. You can still buy a full power DRZ if you have a full unrestricted licence.
    Thats why i think its something simple. I remember NSR's being restricted by a carb and exhaust, Here is a link with some pics to help.http://members.lycos.co.uk/roylee20/twodescphotos0.html

And about the jetting, i would think after you de-restrict it you would have to rejet to get the most out of it.

After doing some research though i think it may just be a throttle stop in or on the carb.

Let us know what you find out.
    Use the search button!!!
    Cool Enduro!! No its a SuperMoto ........nevermind.
    2-Strokes for life!
    2006 DRZ400SM Sold, 1984 Z50R SOLD, 2001 XR100, 2002 YZ250 SM Sold, 88 Hawk GT RC31, 04 CR85 SM! 2008 Husky SM510R, 2001 KTM200EXC

Quote Originally Posted by Tepco View Post
    Thats why i think its something simple. I remember NSR's being restricted by a carb and exhaust, Here is a link with some pics to help.http://members.lycos.co.uk/roylee20/twodescphotos0.html

And about the jetting, i would think after you de-restrict it you would have to rejet to get the most out of it.

After doing some research though i think it may just be a throttle stop in or on the carb.

Let us know what you find out.
    The reason it won't be in the exhaust is because the bikes are not built already restricted. To add a washer to the exhaust or change the exhaust would be expensive. All 33bhp restricted bike will have been fitted with an aftermarket kit (most are F.I. International but Suzuki do their own) which is also why the jetting would be kept the same.

When you order the bike, you don't order a full power or restricted, you order a full power with a restrictor kit if you need it.