SuperMoto Junkie banner

YZ450F Gearing

14K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  mazzuca21366 
#1 ·
Whats the best gearing for the street. I am currently running the stock 13-49 setup. This is good for back roads but Id like a little more topend. The bike seems to cruise good at 45mph with the stock gearing.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
first off rime/tire size is gonna have alot to do with gearing what size you runnin? looks like 19/21. and what year yz is gonna play into it too unless you have a WR? my 05 yz450 only has a 4-speed currently no overdrive and im running 17" sumo rims/tires so my current gearing of 15/42 IIRC likes to cruiz at 55mph 5500rpmish is gonna be different for your 06+yz 07+wr itd probably cruiz better at like 65ish with 17"s you do that gearing now like 85ish maybe.

there is a gearing calculator stickied up top in the tech section try it out see what ya like at what rpm.... or are ya just looking for WFO speed thats slightly different?

COURSE we coud get a sticky goin for a standardized comparison!!! through "rollout" numbers hmmmmmm :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

z

#5 ·
Bike is a 2008 yz. I am running the stock rims. Im not interested in going with sumo wheels. Dont want the hassle of changing wheels when im in the dirt. Where I ride in upstate PA. The roads are full of rocks. The sumo tires would get cut to shit in one weekend trip. Im currently running Kenda DOT Trackmaster tires.

#7 ·
hey cool ya know what ya want and why but this site is gonna be limited on gearing info for ya try TT or ADVriders sites for that gearing info. just cause so many run 17" but like i said before if we get a "rollout" gearing going here it works for anyone any wheel any gearing.

AS far as swapping the WR gearing i have the whole gear set and shifters for mine ready to go just dont want to split the case just for that just yet... if fo the OP only 1st and 5th would benefit him although for price and hassle sprocket and pinion are WAYYYYYYY easier for top end. lol

z

#8 ·
Mabey if I dropped the rear sprocket down to a 47 tooth. I miss my DRZ , The bike was great for carving the back roads. Its a little hairy leaning over too far with the knobbie tires. With my Honda VTX I can carve the corners but have to watch scraping the pegs. Street cruisers dont have the groung clearence. Sold the DRZ cause the bike felt like a slug after getting off the WZ. I love the 50hp YZ. The only time I can get traction is on the street. The rear tire spins at 45mph if I nail the throttle on the dirt. I would be interested in buying another factory street legal sumo for my collection, but it has to be as fast as my YZ. Any suggestions?

#9 ·
lol ya do another yz SUMO i mean if ya got one a second shouldnt be too hard for ya....hell your reasoning is the reaso i kept my crf dirt and got a yz sumo. lol in fact almost got a vtx1300 instead of the yz maybe next go around add it to my stable or whats that new honda production chopper thing?

z

#11 ·
lol ya but that vtx dosent move off HP alone whats the torque? hell my old r6 had 105hp on a 600cc thats what 1/3 of your 1800 come on now hp dosent move that bike.

z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.