Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires for your street SM

Got a Distanzia rear on my sm610 about a week ago.
    I opted for the 150/70/17 as opposed to the 150/60/17 size that would have matched my OEM size.
    Given how quickly my 610 eats rear tires, I figured I'd be doing myself a favor by grabbing the dual sport compound, and it's my understanding that they don't make a 150/60/17 that isn't the softer SM compound.

I knew it'd be a little taller, but please note: It's really distinct.
    If you're thinking about getting the 70 profile, please know that there will be a LOT more rubber filling out your rear wheel well than before, and anticipate the bike being "geared" taller, as the diameter of that rear wheel makes it behave as if you've added a tooth to the countersprocket or dropped a few in the rear. No more easy power up wheelies, even in first
    and as expected, there's a notable change in turn-in.

That being said, the tire is plenty sticky so far. I'm running it at 24 cold, and it's behaving quite well. Not enough play time in the dirt yet to make me feel happy about dropping $230 in total just for the rear, but hopefully that'll be rendered once I get to Adams or do some trail riding or camping.

If I could do it again (and I wish I could), I would've gotten the stock size, and dealt with the shorter life span.
    My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by momshotadingo View Post
    anticipate the bike being "geared" taller, as the diameter of that rear wheel makes it behave as if you've added a tooth to the countersprocket or dropped a few in the rear. No more easy power up wheelies, even in first

Not enough play time in the dirt yet to make me feel happy about dropping $230 in total just for the rear
    I know what you mean about the gearing- I think a lot of it has to do with the weight of the tire as well. I was totally happy with just the BB, now I'm thinking about adding cams.

$230 for ONE TIRE??? Next time check out this site. They are definitely getting more expensive (were cheaper than pilot powers when I started buying them) but I still think they are the best all around tire. They don't care as much about dirt/crap on the roads as the sport bike tires I have ran.
    07 WR450F
    07FJR1300A

Quote Originally Posted by redhotz28 View Post
    $230 for ONE TIRE??? Next time check out this site.
    I mean, I paid about $163 and tax for the tire itself, and another $35 and tax on the install, but damn, I could've used that link a week ago.
    Should have dug around even more.

Thanks for the link; you just saved me $35 on the front, and you've got me thinking about picking up the rear in the correct size. $135 for the rear, with no shipping and no tax? What was I thinking

Items for Sale

I ride BT-003's. ebay $100 a pop. Plenty of grip....

2013 KTM 500 EXC SM | 2001 Honda CBR929RR | 1988 Yamaha YSR 50

I think im in need of a new rear tire pretty soon for my 06 DRZsm. The tire on it now is a Metzeler Sportec M3 15/60/17 Im pretty impressed with the tire so far ive put about 500 miles on it, previous owner put about 800 miles on the center grooves are prettly close to gone and there is still deep side grooves in the tire. Should i wait till its a slick down the center then get a new tire..?
    anyone have imput on Continental Contiforce SM Supermoto Tires? im thinking of getting a tire more made for SM bikes rather than for a street bike.

For Those Shopping For Tires You Should Check Out http://www.ronayers.com.

I Priced Out Several Options From There And They're Cheaper (In Some Cases Not By Much, But Still) Than The Other Sites Mentioned In This Thread.

120/70 and 160/60 Pairs Are Priced As Follows (Ad $12 A Tire For Shipping, Or $24 For The Pair):

- Metzler Sportec M3 (Pair): $183 + Shipping

- Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's (Pair): $215 + Shipping

- Dunlop Q2's (Pair): $222 + Shipping

- Shinko 005 Advance (Pair): $154 + Shipping

For $50 Less Than The Other Sets I Think I'm Going To End Up Going With The Shinko's. I've Always Run Shinko's On My Sportbikes (CBR1000RR, SV650) And Have Had Good Luck. I'm Purely A Street Rider But I Have Never Had An Issue With Traction Wet Or Dry.
    Last edited by Skidd; 06-02-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Items for Sale

Got my 016's mounted up yesterday. So far, they're phenomenal. This is at the 40 mile mark.

www.FastBikeIndustries.com
    "Just stay in the fast lane, and keep moving, you cannot predict your final day, so go hard for the good times while you can." Kenny Stabler
    '08 DRZ 400sm - FCR, E cams, SSW / MRD, Tuned by Wheeler
    '02 XR 50 - 1/4 scale stunt bike

Just got back from the track... if you have track days in mind, stay away from the distanzias. I think these were the dual sport compound- luckily I've only put the rear on. It stepped out on me more times than I can count. Only went down once in a slow speed corner, but the thing kept trying to step out under power any time I asked more from it.
    07 WR450F
    07FJR1300A

I ran the 150/70 17 Distanzia to the tune of 6400 miles now (it's square due to commuting), but still plenty grippy. It is certainly not a super sticky tire, but for most riders, it should be enough grip for 90% of the stuff you'll see on the road. Offroad, it's got loads more traction than a conventional street tire. They are heavier, and I noticed the tip in and rpm differences after mounting them, but they were much much much more predictable than the Dunflops that came on the bike.
    '08 Husky sm450r (13k miles and counting)
    '03 Honda xr400r (street titled)

Items for Sale

I didn't really care for the Distanzias, after scrubbing in (which took forever) I only got about 5-600 miles out of mine in the SM compound. Time will tell, but so far the BT 016 is the best I've tried yet, sticky as flypaper. I like them even more than the Pilot Powers, and that's saying something as I went through three set of them back to back.
    "Just stay in the fast lane, and keep moving, you cannot predict your final day, so go hard for the good times while you can." Kenny Stabler

After looking at bridgestone's website, it looks like the BT090 is for lower displacement bikes (to silence all the "sportbike tires on motard" arguments) and it appears (per their chart) to be more for performance riding. The BT016 is for sport and touring. I had a set of 016s on the 610 and liked it well enough... but I also didn't have any trouble with the distanzias (SM compound) on that bike. Just proves how much quicker the DR-Z is.
    07 WR450F
    07FJR1300A

Sorry if this is kind of offtopic but where can I buy the Maxxis Presa M6159 and M6158
    Plated 2009 YZ450F Motard

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by redhotz28 View Post
    After looking at bridgestone's website, it looks like the BT090 is for lower displacement bikes (to silence all the "sportbike tires on motard" arguments) and it appears (per their chart) to be more for performance riding. The BT016 is for sport and touring. I had a set of 016s on the 610 and liked it well enough... but I also didn't have any trouble with the distanzias (SM compound) on that bike. Just proves how much quicker the DR-Z is.
    I've never heard of the 090's, I was recommended the 016's. I put over 100 miles on them today, with a couple locals. I actually prefer a sport tire due to the profile, but that's just personal preference though. I ask a lot from my tires, and I'm happy to say, these are my favorites yet, out of about 10 different kinds.

Very sticky!

Rear

Front

I never got to ride mine in the rain- any idea how they do?
    07 WR450F
    07FJR1300A

Items for Sale

I've heard they're bad in the rain due to the edges having no siping at all. I try to avoid getting wet though, and like the naked edges, no siping there to promote tire squirm.

Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I've heard they're bad in the rain due to the edges having no siping at all. I try to avoid getting wet though, and like the naked edges, no siping there to promote tire squirm.
    What size tire are you running on the front? I have Contiforce's on front and rear of my yz450 but the rear lasted me about 700 miles so my other question do they make the 016s in 150? I am running a 4.25" rim and not trying to get hurt. I ride the bike very hard and lean it pretty far id say peg bearly touches here and there so I don't want to get a 160 and throw it over and lowside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ya maniac ha View Post
    Sorry if this is kind of offtopic but where can I buy the Maxxis Presa M6159 and M6158
    Disco'd here in the states.
    '08 Husky sm450r (13k miles and counting)
    '03 Honda xr400r (street titled)

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Ya maniac ha View Post
    What size tire are you running on the front? I have Contiforce's on front and rear of my yz450 but the rear lasted me about 700 miles so my other question do they make the 016s in 150? I am running a 4.25" rim and not trying to get hurt. I ride the bike very hard and lean it pretty far id say peg bearly touches here and there so I don't want to get a 160 and throw it over and lowside.
    120/70 front and 150/60 rear. The 016 is a big 150, I get some minor chain rub with it. I didn't like the Contis, didn't care for the profile and they squirmed around too much for my liking. What can I say, I'm picky about tires, I'm a tire snob.

120/70 front and 150/60 rear. The 016 is a big 150, I get some minor chain rub with it. I didn't like the Contis, didn't care for the profile and they squirmed around too much for my liking. What can I say, I'm picky about tires, I'm a tire snob.
    I agree with you on the squirming mid turn it would be really squirmy when I had it layed over I'm going to try these bridgestones out then and I had major chain rub on the contis but graves chain block stopped that and I have a factory chain so it's not the best

Well after reading some more I am debating between the BT-016s or the 003s both come in 150/60 I ride very hard and back roads only, really. Rarely on the highway so performance over longevity is my priority. Need some more input guys pew pew! Some tire pressure suggestions would be good too for these tires.
    Last edited by Ya maniac ha; 06-05-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Im after a 150 tire that actually IS 150mm(give or take 1-2mm).
    Does anyone know of a good sticky tire(more for track use) thats accurate with its measurement?
    Id be looking at 150/60/17 on a 4.25" rim.

Reason is,i have a 150 now(michelin power road2) but its more like 154mm and its so close to chain its rubbing it, have about 1mm-2mm clearance at the moment.
    Would hate to order a 150 that ends up being 155mm+ like ive heard can happen.

I didn't really care for the Distanzias, after scrubbing in (which took forever) I only got about 5-600 miles out of mine in the SM compound. Time will tell, but so far the BT 016 is the best I've tried yet, sticky as flypaper. I like them even more than the Pilot Powers, and that's saying something as I went through three set of them back to back.
    Good to hear it Randy, I have been debating on the 016's and 003's.....but I still have a couple Maxxis soft slicks and a set (front and rear) of Power Pure soft's...anybody tried those? They were discontinued......
    2007 CRF150R winter project
    2011 KTM 250XC (Woods Killer/Tree Molester )
    2001 XR 50 (Wicked cool),
    2007 CR85R mini-sumo (sold), 2008 KTM 250 SX-F (Both Dirty and Tarded' Sold), 2008 Husky 510 SMR (Sold ), 2002 CR 250R Basketcase (Sold), 2007 Suzuki DRZ 400sm (Sold)

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by craigs449 View Post
    Good to hear it Randy, I have been debating on the 016's and 003's.....but I still have a couple Maxxis soft slicks and a set (front and rear) of Power Pure soft's...anybody tried those? They were discontinued......
    Yeah, I love 'em Craig. I doubt they'll last very long, but I don't get as much seat time as I used to, so if I can get 1000 out of the rear I'll make that trade off. At just over $200 a set, I don't think they can be beat. I'm running them at 24f / 26r cold BTW. They'll have around 500 miles on them by the end of the weekend, and I'll let you know how they're holding up. The 003 and 003 RS and both even softer than these, and I can't imagine the kind of grip they'd offer as sticky as these are. I have some friends who run the pures and seem to like them, but man they're soft, doubt they'd last long at all especially on something like that Husky of yours. Remember, I'm on the girls bike, it's nowhere near as hard on tires.

Well I got the BT-003's in today and went for a short ride. I don't trust them just yet so I went easy with them. I love the new stance my bike has now. It leans more forward now which is great! THey are wider for sure but thanks to my Graves chain block the chain only touched the tire a few times. 150/60R 120/70F 26psi Rear 24psi Front. So far I love them and did not slip under hard acceleration just have to get the balls to lean it over more.

My Pures are still holding up pretty well. I've put somewhere around 500 miles on them so far (my Vapor went retarded and wiped all my logged miles) with two days on a track. The last 200 or so street miles have been at track pressures and they're still showing minimal signs of wear. I definitely plan on running these again.

#720 KTM 450SMR
    www.FLsupermoto.com

Hi Guys! Ive been looking to buy some new tires for mye ktm. I bought the bike used for a couple a weeks ago and the guy who had it before me had only been riding the bike with dirt wheels. The sm wheels have not been used for three years before i got them on.

The ting is that i am not very satisfied with them At the gocart track the back wheel slips before i can even get my knee down.
    Im looking for some good tyres that get warm fast and have good grip!
    sorry bad english!

Welp, I was eyeballing the Distanzias and the Pirelli Angel ST's pretty hard, but decided to turn left and put Shinko 003 Stealths on tonight. I'll see how I like them. Even if I burn them off in a month, they weren't expensive to begin with, and I got a good deal on them.
    08 TC450, 07 SM610
    93 WXC360, 84 CR250
    77 360WR, 76 360CR
    a GSXR, a YZ, a couple CBR's
    and a couple Harleys

Default Distanzia - 150/60 Or 160/60 On A Standard SM610 Rim?

I've decided to try Avon's Distanzia Tyres but can't make up my mind which size would be best on the standard 4.25" rim rear rim?

What do you think?

What do the majority out there prefer?

What is the chain clearance like using the 160/60?

Hi There,

For a 4,25"rim, 100% a 150/60-17 of 150/70-17.

I've been riding on Heidenau K73 for the last half year or so, Really like them, not the best for street, but well enough for some hard riding, expect some moving around due to the knobbly profile, but when you go off-road, their great. Good in the rain too, but be smooth on the exit of the turn with the throttle, because it's possible to make them slip.

When the rear is done, i'll replace it with a Heidenau K76, 150/70-17. Should be good for autumn/ winter time.

I know my bike is'nt a Supermoto, but am working on replacing it.

Best regards,
    Thanas
    Last edited by Thanas; 07-13-2011 at 11:26 PM.

i can second that the bt016s are a great tire. When i bought the bike the guy took it to the track rubber rolling off everywhere and ive since then put over 500 miles and they have lots of life left. I ride a 250x so its light and underpowered i suspect i will get 2-3K out of them. And im picky about tires too and have always been a pilot guy but might reconsider when its tire for new tires

Quote Originally Posted by 225 View Post
    I ride BT-003's. ebay $100 a pop. Plenty of grip....
    Word. +1
    What the fuck are you gonna do with that 600RR when the zombies come? Get fuckin dead is what.

Items for Sale

Well, the 016's are done, and I'm going to revise my initial review of them after using them up.

After about 300 miles, they never felt as planted at full lean as the Pilots, even though they were stickier. They were more predictable when they let loose for sure, but they let loose earlier than the Pilots. After about the 500 mile mark, they would wiggle around and get loose for lack of a better explanation. They ball up rubber like crazy though, so that's a little odd to me.

Keep in mind our pavement is a rough, gnarly consistency. 20 years of weather has pretty much washed most of the tar away, leaving a lot of the gravel exposed. Great grip, hell on tires. I got just over 1,000 miles out of the 016's, pretty normal for around here.

I'm getting tired of shelling out $250 on tires that come up short of my expectations though, and I'm about ready to just start grooving slicks. I don't get to ride as much these days, and I don't get any life out of tires anyway, so I want all out flypaper like grip. Around here, you'd probably never hear a word about them.

1050 miles on the Shinko 003's. Most of the miles are highway commuting, I'm very happy with them, they're not squared off too bad, they have excellent drive out of corners.

08 TC450, 07 SM610
    93 WXC360, 84 CR250
    77 360WR, 76 360CR
    and a couple Harleys

[QUOTE=Stephen1125;1169404]Just found this on a UK KTM forum

The guide below was started by KevInYorks a good while back and various folks have added their tyres to it. It should give you some idea of the variation in rubber dimensions.

4.25" BEHR rim
    Avon pro extreme 160/60 is 162mm wide
    Koncorde 160/60 is 159mm wide
    Dunlop KR108 165/55 slick is 150mm wide
    Maxis Goldspeed Streetsport is 154mm wide
    Avon Distanzia 160/60 is 161mm wide./QUOTE]

From experience I would like to add this to the list:

Pirelli Diablo Rosso 160/60 is 157mm wide and fits an SM610 rear rim with about 6mm of room on either side.

Items for Sale

I mounted up a set of Bridgestone BT 003R tires a few weeks back. I have around 500 miles on them, and so far I freaking love these things. Way more grip at the edge than the 016, and doesn't lose it's composure over the bumps like the 016's did either. Provided they stay consistent throughout their life, this may be my new go to tire.

Some things to consider about my tire selection process;

1. I rarely ride true motard stuff, more 50-60mph sweepers most of the time.
    2. I'm not a foot out guy, I'm a knee out guy + I ride 99% pavement and my suspension is set up for that
    3. I'm not backing it in, or sliding the bike (at least I hope not ); I want it to be super stable mid corner, yet still neutral handling and responsive.
    4. They're not Michelin's. I won't run any more Michelin's due to them rubbing holes in my pricey HD tubes from the pattern inside them.

All in all, I'm very pleased so far. I'm just hoping I can still get the usual 1,000 miles out of them, but we'll see. I'll update my review once they're done, same as I did the 016.

I may have to try the 003's. I know of a couple of people who rail on them on the street with the sportbikes.

I've been using the regular pilot powers that came with the bike, and I do love the tires, but I just don't have any trust in them. Kind of ridiculous, I know, but coming from sportbikes, I would have never ran pilot powers for the type of riding I do.

I may just use a power pure or power one up front and keep the PP rear.
    06 DRZ400sm - bored out, cams, FCR
    Austin/Central Texas SuperMoto page:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/288482311183659/

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by nyj View Post
    I may have to try the 003's. I know of a couple of people who rail on them on the street with the sportbikes.

I've been using the regular pilot powers that came with the bike, and I do love the tires, but I just don't have any trust in them. Kind of ridiculous, I know, but coming from sportbikes, I would have never ran pilot powers for the type of riding I do.

I may just use a power pure or power one up front and keep the PP rear.
    I'm telling ya, I really like 'em. The Pilot Powers were good tires when they came out, 5 or 6 years ago, but tire tech has come a long way since then. The one thing I didn't like about them (and I liked them) was they would let go without any real warning, and Chase warned me about that. The 003R's have gotten a little loose with me, but it's nice and predictable, and not "I think the rear is, OH SHIT....."

I'm sure my suspension plays into that too. It's crazy good, it's like the tires talk to you there's so much feedback from each tire separately. It gives me so much confidence when I know what the bike will do, and I can simply relax and ride it. Dave is the MAN!

I tried Pilot Powers on my 690 SMR when they got so cheap I couldn't say no... I was surprised to find they lasted as long as the Dunlop Roadsmarts I had on before that, and with better grip and feel, it seemed a no brainer to keep using them.

I just picked up a 990 SMT and I'm impressed with the Conti Sport Attacks on it as well. Canyonchasers' review said they lasted better than the Road Attacks in a side by side test.

The ones I'm really wanting to try out are the Conti Motions, I've read a lot of stellar reviews of them and they are absolutely STUPID cheap to boot... like $161 for a set for the SMR from Motorcycle Superstore. Most of the reviews say it's a great tire at any price though, just happens to be really cheap.

Well, my rear tire is down to the wear bars on the 690SMC. The odometer is at 1700 miles and the stock supercorsa pro is showing signs of giving up.

I get great deals from michelin at work so I'm probably going to stick with one of their tires but i want to hear some reccomendations.

I'm leaning towards trying the new pilot road 3's due to the added siping. I think they might be surprising in the dirt and wear a little better than pilot powers.
    I'm a little concerned about the difference in lean angle, so I might order the 170/60R17 to get a little more leaned contact patch.

I had power pilots on my DRZ and I did not like the dirt performance, not to mention they only lasted 1200 miles (so that would be even less on the SMC)

I know I'm asking alot form a set of tires but here are my requirements in order of importance:

Great grip at full lean (I do everything from tight 2nd gear switchbacks to long 65 mph sweepers)
    good wear (I'd like to change oil more than I change tires!!)
    Good dirt performance (the pressa cut slicks were amazing for near slicks in the dirt)
    Price is negotiable depending on the other factors

I'm willing to give on one of these factors if the tire excels in the others.
    For example, I got the Pressa precut slicks for $100 a set off ebay (not available any more) and they were great on twisties and dirt, and cheap. But I did wear them out in 1000mi. But I hated the Power pilots because they were terrible in the dirt, good in the corners, cheap, and wore fast
    Joe - #41 Black DRZ - Sold
    '08 KTM 690SMC

I mounted up a set of Bridgestone BT 003R tires a few weeks back. I have around 500 miles on them, and so far I freaking love these things. Way more grip at the edge than the 016, and doesn't lose it's composure over the bumps like the 016's did either. Provided they stay consistent throughout their life, this may be my new go to tire.

Some things to consider about my tire selection process;

1. I rarely ride true motard stuff, more 50-60mph sweepers most of the time.
    2. I'm not a foot out guy, I'm a knee out guy + I ride 99% pavement and my suspension is set up for that
    3. I'm not backing it in, or sliding the bike (at least I hope not ); I want it to be super stable mid corner, yet still neutral handling and responsive.
    4. They're not Michelin's. I won't run any more Michelin's due to them rubbing holes in my pricey HD tubes from the pattern inside them.

All in all, I'm very pleased so far. I'm just hoping I can still get the usual 1,000 miles out of them, but we'll see. I'll update my review once they're done, same as I did the 016.

What tubes do you run in the 003's?

Conti Attack SM on my drz 400 =)

Nice tire :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

So here's my little review on the Shinko 003's now that they're done.

I really like them. For the price, you can't complain. They never got greasy when hot, handled 40 miles a day of highwayish commuting pretty well without flatspotting horribly. I was impressed with how well they handled hard braking, and they were VERY predictable in breaking loose. Drive out of corners I'd rate excellent. They are ok in hardpack and semi-loose dirt, they SUCK on gravel.

I was told to expect 1800-2000 miles out of a rear the way I ride, I got 2700 miles out of it.

With 1050 miles

2700 miles rear (also includes about 200 miles of gravel roads - we know gravel really tears up tires)

Front 2700 miles

Given that I got 2700 miles out of these, and they more or less generally suck off road (duh), I think I'm going to pay $30 per tire more for Pirelli MT-60's and stick with them year round. I got about the same miles out of them, and they were really good off road and awesome in the rain. They also stick to the road like glue no matter what kinda shit is on the pavement, unlike the 003's which were too sportybike-like. I liked the MT-60's ability to allow me to ignore trash on the road.

I considered giving the Avon Distanzias a try, but after seeing them in action in gravel I determined that the Pirelli's are superior for my purposes.
    08 TC450, 07 SM610
    93 WXC360, 84 CR250
    77 360WR, 76 360CR
    and a couple Harleys

Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post

I know I'm asking alot form a set of tires but here are my requirements in order of importance:

Great grip at full lean (I do everything from tight 2nd gear switchbacks to long 65 mph sweepers)
    good wear (I'd like to change oil more than I change tires!!)
    Good dirt performance (the pressa cut slicks were amazing for near slicks in the dirt)
    Price is negotiable depending on the other factors

I'm willing to give on one of these factors if the tire excels in the others.
    For example, I got the Pressa precut slicks for $100 a set off ebay (not available any more) and they were great on twisties and dirt, and cheap. But I did wear them out in 1000mi. But I hated the Power pilots because they were terrible in the dirt, good in the corners, cheap, and wore fast
    Joe, you won't get all four out of any one tire. I go through a set of tires in 1,000 miles regardless of who makes them, if they're soft enough to rail in the corners that is. I'd say the Distanzias, but mine were shot in 700 miles, even on a DRZ. Railing on the pavement will cook them, they just can't take the heat cycles.

I simply gave up dirt riding on the street bike, and accepted that I'm willing to replace tires every 1,000 miles in order to have the confidence that comes with exceptional street grip on the edge of the tire. So far, the 003R is the best yet, but time will tell. I only have around 400 miles on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sanglant View Post
    What tubes do you run in the 003's?
    I'm really not sure what they are, my local mechanic gets them for me, but I think they're Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes. So I don't have to worry about rubbing holes in them like I did with the Pilot Powers. They are 4mm thick I think. I replace them every other set of tires for peace of mind, since you can see the rubber that's been rubbed off the tube inside the tire when you take them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsport View Post

Holy crap! i gotta ride like that!

Quote Originally Posted by JonXX View Post
    So here's my little review on the Shinko 003's now that they're done.

I really like them. For the price, you can't complain....They are ok in hardpack and semi-loose dirt, they SUCK on gravel.

Given that I got 2700 miles out of these, and they more or less generally suck off road (duh), I think I'm going to pay $30 per tire more for Pirelli MT-60's and stick with them year round. I got about the same miles out of them, and they were really good off road and awesome in the rain. They also stick to the road like glue no matter what kinda shit is on the pavement, unlike the 003's which were too sportybike-like. I liked the MT-60's ability to allow me to ignore trash on the road.

I considered giving the Avon Distanzias a try, but after seeing them in action in gravel I determined that the Pirelli's are superior for my purposes.
    My Shinkos were Sh!tkos. They were unbalanced above 70 mph and still slid all over. i like your Pirelli's, these look like the best overall huh?

Default Tires are Toast

Just a thought regarding tire pressure and wear that I've noticed. Bought my '07sm used with the stock Dunlops (not sure if they were the originals) and was amazed at the mileage (6k) that I put on them....granted it was my only vehicle until 6 months ago....so I spent a ton of time on the hwy @60, but I found some twistys nearby and started riding the bike like I should....and realized what everybody meant about the stock tires sucking...they were sliding out all over the place.....So, did some research and found that I had too much air in them....Dropped it down to 25ish psi, and wow what a difference (though they still sucked) after about 300 miles they were toast. So, I ordered some Distanzias last night and I got to thinking, why not just add 5 or so psi when commuting and let it out when carving....I'm sure this is done regularly but I haven't heard anyone talk about it.
    '07 DRZ400SM 3X3, JD Kit, FMF Powercore4/Powerbomb Head Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsport View Post

They don't sell these in the states do they...?
    -Chris

-2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    -K5 Suzuki GSXR750

*Conti Attack SM tires*

I dont know but I would like to try a set myself.

okay guys im in a pickle. i need a new rear tire and im goin to order it in the morning. now im stuck between another continental contiforce sm(the only tires if had on myxr650 so far) or trying the bt 016. i do commute on my sumo and the contiforces havent been to bad wearing, but the hard triple compound of the bt 016 has mean very interested. what would you guys choise that have ran these tires?

Default Hard riders

I've never heard of people ripping through so many types of tire so quick on such low powered bikes! I ride fairly hard some of the time and used to probably 60% of the time and do track days, but have never got through tires in less than 3000 miles. (except on a ZX12R).

Michelin : I used to like Pilot Sports on my sport bikes as a good general tire. The newer powers seem pretty much the same but with maybe a little more grip in the dry. In the wet they don't inspire as much confidence as the old tire, they feel like they have less grip and let go with little warning.
    Pilot Roads are a waste of time for any sort of hard riding especially on light bikes, they take ages to heat up and can overheat. They have to be just right temperature to grip, then they are similar to the powers only even worst in the wet. I cut sipes in the rear Road 2 with a Stanley knife which helped, but threw the front away after a 1000 miles. Rear has done 4000miles on my versys 650 so far, it is just about good enough on such a low powered bike I can't afford to throw it away.

Metzeler : I ran Sportecs on my KTM660, they had already done a couple of trackdays and 2000miles on my FZR600. I think they did another half a dozen trackdays and another 2000 miles on the supermoto before the rear was shot. Surprisingly good on the dirt section of a supermoto track, really good in all conditions. Lacked grip on the rear in cold weather and struggled for grip on some tracks out of hairpins.

Pirelli : Only used Scorpions that came with the 660. Good all round tire, very similar to the Metzelers only not as good generally. Changed them after 2000 miles, looked less than half worn after 2 track days. Very good on standing water.

Dunlop : RR versions of their tires are generally ace, the standard tyres generally lack grip, especially in the wet. I have yet to try Qualifiers but don't see why the RR's wouldn't be as good as the 207 and 208 RR's before. If the price of the Mutants ever come down I would like to try those too.

Bridgestone : I'm not a Bridgestone fan, I have tried many of them on many types of bike. Just when you thought it was safe and get confident.... Bridgestones idea of a warning is lifting you out of the seat or letting you run over your foot as you try to save the front. That said I do like the BT020's, not bad on the track either as long as you respect the fact that they are a sport touring tire. Did 3000 miles on second hand tires, they looked about half worn. I'd guess the newer versions should be as good or better. I'd have an 021 on the rear but I'd choose a grippy tire from someone else for the front.

Maxxis : The Goldspeeds were supposed to be the ultimate street legal supermoto tires. To be fair I never had any problems with them on the road, but I was on my arse within a couple of laps on the track. When the front goes there is no warning what so ever. It either grips like a full on race tire or it is gone, the rear would also overheat causing lots of wheelspin from the 660 which became frustrating.
    I chucked the front after my off, so only did 500 miles, did about 1500 on the rear it look about half worn then I binned it. They were the hard intermediate compound.

For British weather if I had to select a pair of all round tires I would probably go for a Bridgestone 021 rear with Metzeler Sportec or Qualifier RR front. I would love to try a pair Dunlop Mutants.
    My bikes all have 2 sets of wheels so I can swap about if I have to.
    Last edited by No1Spank; 09-26-2011 at 12:20 PM.

another vote for the bt-003rs im loving these things
    05 DRZsm