SuperMoto Junkie banner

Tires for your street SM

407K views 764 replies 299 participants last post by  BlackPanther 
#1 ·
#456 ·
Aggressive? Not sure what that refers to...

I mean I appreciated the quick handling, flickability, edge to edge roll and grip at lean on the Contiforce, but just wanted a bit more life outta them I guess. They were OK off road, not so good when we started really having fun riding up creeks and old goat trails in the mountains. Twisty pavement they were good and glued. Rear hooks up easily at lean to loft the front outta turns...Pain in the ass to spoon off the rims though, those tires have a tight bead.

I just want to know if the Attacks are "contiforce SM stuck + a little more lifespan in the summer heat" to save my VISA...

#457 ·
Aggressive as in a more performance orientated tire. I've never owned the Contiforces, but I guarantee there just as soft, if not softer. If your wanting mileage look into something like a Pilot Power, BT016, ect...

#458 ·
Hey SM junkies :D

I've been reading this topic and i need some help please because after reading this: http://www.pneus-online.pt/pneu-estrada.html i came to the conclusion that the sportmax mutant were the best ones for me (living in a coastal city so sometimes at night the roads get humid) but i would like to have more feedback comparing them with others before i buy them next week

Thank you!!

#459 ·
I'm still loving the 003RS, about to finish off my third set and have the fourth spooned on. :bannana: Super sticky, predictable, and very linear when they do let go.

#495 ·
How are these 003RS tires in the wet? Offroad? Heat up times?

I've got a month or so left in my Distanzias (3rd set), but the next set will have to deal with wet leaves, lots of rain, some snow in Dec/January, ice and frost, etc, as its getting close to that gross time of year again- the other 8 months where that bright thing in the sky disappears. I just moved up a mountain and am wondering how my daily ride will be affected by a low snowline...

#460 ·
I think I may try the 003RS after I am through with the Conti Attacks. I'm really liking the Contis but they are pretty pricey. What pressures do you run in the 003RS HPIguy? I'm finding I'm having to run higher pressures in the Contis vs my old Pilot Powers as the tires carcass is much softer... Or at least it seems that way.

#465 ·
I run 22F / 24R cold. The Socal Supermoto School recommended that in their review, and it's perfect. :thumbup:

#468 · (Edited)
So I am about to swap on some sm wheels onto my drz. Been looking at the pilot powers or bt-016's.

The drz is my only mode of transportation so the daily grind as well as a playing here and there in the corners. I need something that will last 3000 if now more hopefully. I am not hard on tires but still enjoy my bike. I also do live in Seattle so I need something that will be stable in the rain.

Any suggestions?

#470 ·
Check out the Pilot Road tire. I have got 2,800 miles on mine and can honestly say that it doesn't look like they are more than 10% wore. My riding is 80% commuting on a relatively stock DRZ and I weigh 190.

#472 ·
ive thought about them but i already have a set of 21/18's for the dirt so dedicated street tires are what i am really looking for, and i can't afford $200 a tire.

i guess i should have also said that my budget is around $200+/- 20 or so. i still need to get the EBC 320mm kit, and tubes before this can go on the bike and with my tires running low on tread on the bike currently i can't really wait much longer.

#474 ·
David most guys with those rim sizes run a 120/70 front and a 150/60 rear.

#480 ·
I'm not the supermoto rock star some of you guys are and definitely not capable of riding as hard, but I figure short of all out racing, a bike with somewhere between 20 (typical 250 street SM) and 60 HP (KTM 690) doesn't create the same traction demands that a 150+ HP GSX-R 1000 coming out of a corner at full lean on the gas does (the thread is "tires for your street SM", not for your race bike). So for me, super sport tires seem a little overkill on a street tard.

You guys will probably laugh, but I really like the Conti Motions. This is Continental's cheap sport touring tire, a *set* costs about $160-180. I was skeptical about these but after reading loads of very positive reviews on the Internet vendor's sites, I decided to test them out on my 990 for the hell of it, and I was impressed... So when I had to change the rear on my 690, I got a Motion rear, and put the Sport Attack front that came off of the 990 at about 5K miles on the front. It feels great.

Plus, at $105 for a rear and like $65 for a front (you can save a few more $ on F/R package deals), and having someone that will mount and balance them for me for $10 off the bike, I save a fortune.

#481 ·
Hey quick question about tires...

I just ran my stock DRZ rear to nothing and picked up a nail, so I put a new tire on the back. Its a Michelin Pilot Road2 150/70/17, and still have the stock dunlop d208 up front.

I just rode it a couple days ago and the bike seems to have a very sluggish turn in... I was wondering if it it because of the larger aspect ratio then stock? Or is it maybe the rear has more grip then the front and its making it lag a little?

Found a 120/70/17 Pilot Power front for pretty cheap locally, so I might throw that on if you guys think it will help?

Thanks!

#482 · (Edited)
Avon Storm 2 Ultras

just spooned these on this weekend, went for a 100mi putt to break 'em in. first impression is i'm not liking the front at all, but i may have to find the sweet spot pressure wise, i'm running them with toobs... took off a well-used pair of Distanzias that got me a legit 10k miles (DS compound 140/80) and they stuck much better.

on the hwy though, they track nice, smooth & straight, dont follow rain grooves or get weird crossing edges like the Distanzias did. no wander or tail wagging.

will report back once they get broke in, or i fall off. :D

dual compound pic (look closely & you'll see the center "harder compound" section"

#492 ·
500mile update

just spooned these on this weekend....i may have to find the sweet spot pressure wise, i'm running them with toobs... ....will report back once they get broke in, or i fall off. :D
after the first 500miles, happy to report that i didn't fall off. :clap:

they actually are really great once broke in, i'm running 36/36psi and they're awesome! front sticks way better than the Distanzias and have a nice confident roll in compared to my old front. very happy with them.

and they're showing NO wear after 500miles. :D

#483 ·
im thinking of putting Mich PR3 trails on my 690SM. i do about 95% on road and 5% dirt/gravel roads. the PR3T's are a 10/80/10 dual compound. i had a distanzia on the rear but it only comes in supermoto compound in a 160 so burned through them in 4k miles. my only option in a 120/160 combo with a similar tread as the distanzias is the pirelli scorpion trail. or i could do the conti trail attack but it only comes in a 150 rear.
i was running normal sportbike pressures of 36/36. am i way off on that? seems like you guys are running way lower than that

#487 ·
had a bt-016 on the rear for awhile now and liked it well enough, but was doin mostly commuting and it started to get squared a bit. now im hitting the backroads alot and have gotten it leaned over all the way and it plain sticks. i was running contiforce sm's front and rear and the rear wore out in no time with the torque of my xr650r. front did good though. spooned on a front bt-016 and love it so far also. i think this might just be the tire for me unless i decide its time for cut slicks:D btw i dont balance my tires and i get more vibration from the motor than i do from the tires so they are very round.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.