Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requirements for Street Legal Motorcycles

Default Requirements for Street Legal Motorcycles

What up guys, I always see a lot of post for people wanting to title their bikes and make them street legal, Iran across this site from the AMA that list all the requirements for different states, Hope it help some of y'all getting your bike legal.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Im a Pa. inspection mechanic. You are required to have turn signals for inspection.
    Automotive and Cycle Inspection Mechanic. Broomall Pa.

This is awesome for South Carolina!

Radar Detector---------No Restriction
    Turn Signals------------Not Required
    Muffler-----------------No acoustical criteria.
    Maximum Sound Level---No acoustical criteria.
    1998 yamaha wr400

"shes got a tat on her tit and wears low cut shirts... it looks like to pigs crawled up her shirt and are fighting over a corn cob."

Quote Originally Posted by mazzuca21366 View Post
    Im a Pa. inspection mechanic. You are required to have turn signals for inspection.
    You may want to look again in the inspection book. They are not a required lamp. In subchapter h it says they may have turn signals. Not a requirement at all.
    2005 DRZ400SM

Quote Originally Posted by punga View Post
    You may want to look again in the inspection book. They are not a required lamp. In subchapter h it says they may have turn signals. Not a requirement at all.
    According to this link.Signals are not required in PA.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=pa

TW
    1990 NT650 Hawk for sale.

I live here in PA. If you don/t use signals then you have to use your hands.
    R.I.P. Jeremy Lusk
    '07 Honda TRX420FE (Rancher 420 4x4 electronic shift)
    Lets Nuke China

Id like to add Ontario

If you live here: You can get your Off Road bike on the street these ways.

If the bike was Blue Plated (street plate) before Novemeber 2007 then your bike is forever street plated.

If your bike is offroad only, you can take a chance, you say you have a 'custom motorcycle' try and go that route, I dont know if it works but someone on here said they put all the stuff on the bike that is required (lights,horn,etc) Took it to Crappy Tire and they saftied it for the road because they basically check to make sure your blinkers and brake lights work. And then apparently you get them to sign a affidavit saying it has all the street legal requirements like lights and such, take that to the DMV or MTO whoever: I dont know if this works but I heard it could.

The other way is to buy a bike that is sold has road legal from a dealer like a EXC KTM, or WR250X/R

ahh so now I know what is required, how do I get my title changed from offroad use only to road ready? I'm also in PA

Read my prev posts on this thread. You need to apply for a modified title.

Hawaii has a catch-22 that sounds similar to PA.
    I'm a cop, so I know the traffic code pretty well here, and have al the copies of the various laws easily accessible. Hawaii itself does not require turn signals unless the vehicle in question is over 24" fromthe center of the steering column to the outside edge of the vehicle. Unless you've got REALLY wide handlebars, motorcycles aren't this wide. In the Honolulu city ordinances, it states motorcycles MAY be equipped with turn signals, clearance lights, etc. The word MAY means optional.
    Here's the weird part - in order for you to register your vehicle every year, you must pass what's called a "safety inspection". If you don't have the safety inspection, you can't renew your registration - period. Now, the screwed up thing, which is what might be happening in PA, is that instead of following state law, the inspection stations are given a copy of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards ( FMVSS) to use to determine if a vehicle pases inspection. The FMVSS state all motorcycles must have turn signals. What most people don't realize is the FMVSS are federal laws that ONLY apply to manufactures and dealers as far as how a vehicle must be SOLD in the United States. What makes a vehicle legal for use on a public roadway is the domain of each individual state. Unfortunately, trying to convince the brainwashed inspection people of this, even when showing them the laws in black and white, is a total waste of time.
    So the solution in Hawaii, and maybe in PA, is to mount turn signals (i use an led setup powered by AA batteries) temporarily to get your inspection, then just take them off afterwards. As long as your state law doesn't require them, you can't get a ticket for not having them. Actually you might get a ticket if the officer isn't familiar with how this works. It may be a good idea to print out a copy of your state law showing turn signals aren't required, in case you get stopped, because there are actually many police officers out there that don't know turn signals aren't required in every state. But even if you get a ticket, you should be able to win in court easily.

Not exactly,, Pa has its own regs and regulations and is rather tight on the inspection and PA vehicle code laws.. Yes you DO need turn signals if your bike was made since 1974.. The no signal falls under the harley clauses.. It was "if the vehicle was not manufactured with turn signals it does not need them".. The issue here is that applies to vehicle that were built FOR the road.. not converting TO the road.. I'm also an insp tech and have been dealing with this for years..Not hard to do just more than a simple headlight taillight thing.. I've DS several bikes,, KTM 300exc, KDX 200's(4 of them) 3 GasGas 250ec's and helped several others.. And just because you need them on for insp. does not mean you have to keep them on,, but remember johnny law might come knocking on your door if you dont have them..
    They are there to protect the helmet-less(read organ donor)

They are required for a modified title. I used the tag setup from Motosport Outlet. By law they are supposed to be 14 inches apart. But I havent had any problems with the cops. The LED signals are very bright even in daylight. The tail light is from Baja Designs also LED.

Hell, I have e-marked LED mini stalk signals mounted in the stock locations and they're only about 12" apart.
    '93 XR650L
    CBR F3 front, 900RR rear by Kubiak
    Wiseco 10.5:1 piston, Stage 1 Hotcam, PD8AF carb, UNI pod filter, FMF PC4, battery relocation, 600R numberplates, Trailtech Vapor, Acerbis Cyclops, and a few other goodies.

You are lucky,, and the leo's down by you have more important work to do than vehicle code crap.. up by me they are bored,, they even pull me over for no doors on my jeep wrangler.. which is a grey area at best.. I saw some very small led turn signals a while back on a buddies bike.. They had like 3 led's in them, shaped like a small triangle scoop.. fit perfect on the side of the taillight holder on his ktm 450.. and in fact looked almost factory as that year had the funky shaped taillight..
    I'll see if I can find a picture..
    But,, in the end you do need turn signals,, even if they arent quite up to code as long as they are there and work from what I've found.. I dont do inspections anylonger as I dont work in a shop that does bikes... I miss spring bike inspection time.. got to ride so many different bikes.. and not have to pay for any of them....
    My favorite customer had a Canadian version of the RZ 500,, 2stroke 3cyl, street bike.. least favorite was this old 70's something norton.. looked cool as hell.. but the foot controls were on the wrong sides?? I almost crashed it trying to leave the parking lot..

Anyone in here from NC that has plated their ORV bike to a street bike title? just wondering bc i have a race sm that is begging me to take her to the street.

Any info will help

'07 YZ450F MX
    '07 KX450F SMR
    '06 R1 50th anniversary
    Need a YZ SM set up? PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Cruisinagasgas View Post
    You are lucky,, and the leo's down by you have more important work to do than vehicle code crap.. up by me they are bored,, they even pull me over for no doors on my jeep wrangler.. which is a grey area at best.. I saw some very small led turn signals a while back on a buddies bike.. They had like 3 led's in them, shaped like a small triangle scoop.. fit perfect on the side of the taillight holder on his ktm 450.. and in fact looked almost factory as that year had the funky shaped taillight..
    I'll see if I can find a picture..
    But,, in the end you do need turn signals,, even if they arent quite up to code as long as they are there and work from what I've found.. I dont do inspections anylonger as I dont work in a shop that does bikes... I miss spring bike inspection time.. got to ride so many different bikes.. and not have to pay for any of them....
    My favorite customer had a Canadian version of the RZ 500,, 2stroke 3cyl, street bike.. least favorite was this old 70's something norton.. looked cool as hell.. but the foot controls were on the wrong sides?? I almost crashed it trying to leave the parking lot..
    I don't think I've had the doors on my Wrangler in years, and I don't get a passing glance from cops here. I did get a woman in the drive thru at McDonald's ask me if I was worried about falling out though.
    '93 XR650L
    CBR F3 front, 900RR rear by Kubiak
    Wiseco 10.5:1 piston, Stage 1 Hotcam, PD8AF carb, UNI pod filter, FMF PC4, battery relocation, 600R numberplates, Trailtech Vapor, Acerbis Cyclops, and a few other goodies.

Cruisin - I amtotally unfamiliar with Pa laws, so I will defer to you. However, my point I gues I was trying to make was that some inspectors will try to tell people that there is a Federal Law that requires motorcycles in all states to have turn signals since a certain date. This is not true, and they are misinformed if they think so. Sometmes with the various goverment entities, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, etc.

Move to Arizona. Take your title to the DMV, pay 35 bucks and get your plate. Go home slap on a headlight and tail/ brake light, also a small battery powered horn if you want and a mirror. Next thing you know your jumping staircases in front of the high schools!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDUST31 View Post
    Move to Arizona. Take your title to the DMV, pay 35 bucks and get your plate. Go home slap on a headlight and tail/ brake light, also a small battery powered horn if you want and a mirror. Next thing you know your jumping staircases in front of the high schools!
    shhhhhhhh we dont want the politicians to know what we do
    "You meet the nicest people on a HONDA."
    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...b068a428cc.gif

Haha I would like to see a politicain on a super moto backin that s*it into a corner wearin a suit and tie.

does anybody know if the state of cali. checks for emissions shit on the bike when i go take the driving skills test?? and has any body done this lately in cali.. thanks

They are required for a modified title. I used the tag setup from Motosport Outlet. By law they are supposed to be 14 inches apart. But I havent had any problems with the cops. The LED signals are very bright even in daylight. The tail light is from Baja Designs also LED.

Mazz, this is pretty sick setup, i like it, how much $?

Has any one in wisconsin converted there xr 650 r to a road legal bike and got it registered if so was it a problem mine is registered in michagan ?

Cali doesn't check motorcycles "yet" for emission stuff. The things that they check for are: If you Know where the front break lever is, rear break, if you have all the proper lights, horn, ignition and kill switch. The guy at DMV didn't say a thing when I told him my horn didn't work. Hope this helped.

I converted a CR480 for the street. Texas laws are pretty relaxed, if it has all the equipment to pass the state inspection, it can be licensed for the street.
    The problem I ran into was insurance. I have liability on 3 other bikes, totalling about $120 per year. Dairyland wouldn't insure the CR 'cause it's an off road competition model. I could have taken the "off road only" policy, but it wouldn't cover my a$$ if I caused an accident (or ran over the top of someone's car).
    I went through Progressive, which ended up under a speciality policy, costing $120-ish.
    I needed it, I purchased it, I'm legal and I don't have to worry about it for another year.

01 CR500af 83 XL600 hooligans 83 CR480
    97 VFR750 CB1100F 93 Honda Sportster
    74 Suzuki Titan
    75 H1-F 75 RD350
    74 MT250 75 XL350 93 Ducati fighter

Quote Originally Posted by hey Johnny Park View Post
    Id like to add Ontario

If you live here: You can get your Off Road bike on the street these ways.

If the bike was Blue Plated (street plate) before Novemeber 2007 then your bike is forever street plated.

If your bike is offroad only, you can take a chance, you say you have a 'custom motorcycle' try and go that route, I dont know if it works but someone on here said they put all the stuff on the bike that is required (lights,horn,etc) Took it to Crappy Tire and they saftied it for the road because they basically check to make sure your blinkers and brake lights work. And then apparently you get them to sign a affidavit saying it has all the street legal requirements like lights and such, take that to the DMV or MTO whoever: I dont know if this works but I heard it could.

The other way is to buy a bike that is sold has road legal from a dealer like a EXC KTM, or WR250X/R
    im going through that trouble now. im in kitchener ontario. i have a 2001 yamaha wr250f. and i found out today its only meant for offroad, i was tryin to think of ways to get it on road and dealerships said no.
    i think im gunna do that though and try it.
    if anyone wants to by my bike to kick around on or make it street legal in your counrty ill sell it. its a mint condition bike, really fast lots of upgrades. have all stock parts still.

Picture 095.jpg

Picture 092.jpg

Picture 090.jpg

Picture 093.jpg

Picture 094.jpg

VIN Check.

If the VIN# on the bike in question has a "C" or "3" in the 8th position of the VIN number this normally flags the bike as a competition only model. Almost impossible to register for the street. Some folks get it done but it's a lot of work.

If the VIN does not have this "C" or "3" in the 8th position then it's easier to get it registered for the street.

Different jurisdictions have different rules.
    Motorcycle Tire Services
    http://mototireguy.com
    04 Honda CBR1000RR
    05 Husaberg FS650E (Sold )

Brich. Sorry for the delay. Havent been on the forum for awhile. Too busy at my shop fixin all the 4 wheel cages. The turn signal plate setup is from Motorsport Outlet. It holds up good in the dirt also. Cost 30 bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ric58 View Post
    does anybody know if the state of cali. checks for emissions shit on the bike when i go take the driving skills test?? and has any body done this lately in cali.. thanks
    As also stated, not "yet", maybe in around 2012. The bill will have to pass the Govonator, if he is still in office. He is a bike owner, but I don't think he will be on our side as motorcyclist.

I have never taken my CBR(currently SMless) in for "inspection", right now they only care about your license endorsment. Although I just took the MSF Course so DMV has never seen my bike.
    What are you living for?

Hope to have DRZ by end of year!

I disagree.

that website said nothing about a horn in texas... does that mean i don't need a horn? cause that would be great, one less thing i have to put on a street sumo

Default anyone live in indiana

i live in indianapolis in. i'm converting my crf450 to motard. i want to get
    it plated to ride on the street. i'm looking into whats going to be involved in this. i have the MSO from the honda dealer. i went to the AMA web link in this thread but there's not a lot of info there. there are several drz400's hear motarded riding on the streets, they had no problems, but they have out of state dealer plates. i know i will need headlight,tail/brake light, mirrors, the AMA link for indiana says you must have speedo also, but the two drz's don't have them. also it says nothing about turn sig, the drz don't have any. thinks for any info anyone can offer. i want to have all my ducks in a row before i go to the DMV. also my brother is a cop hear, he also wants to get his crf450 on the road & motarded so we can ride togother.
    thinks,josh

Not converting, but, just bought a WR250X yesterday and could someone post a good link for mirrors? I'm looking for something streamlined, lower to the bars and a wider horizontal view. Not sure about these lollypops.....hope this is the right posting area...or should i post in parts for sale?

Horn, mirror and brake light for Montana, that is all.
    CR's, KX's and RM's with plates all around where I live, and all of the ranchers have plates on their four-wheelers, you oughta see the local cafe in the mornings on the weekends when all the ranchers meet up to have coffee.
    TTR-125
    WR250R
    TW-200
    883L
    ZRX1100

Default in pa with an arizona title

i'm in the boat as far as wanting to title my kx 250 for street use. i've got a 2000kx250 that i am converting to street tard. it was previously titled in pa but when i moved to arizona i got the title and plate pictured. i have not retitled it in pennsylvania so what steps should i take from this point. i've got time i'm still in the process of rebuilding and its going to be awhile. thanks to all that reply. jimvpa!
    Attached Images Attached Images

One thing it doesnt mention is type of headlight and/or brake light. Are these even required? They dont mention them, at least in VA. And if they are...must they be DOT approved?

Default No more conversions in Nevada

For those who do not know, you are no longer allowed to convert your off road bike to street use in Nevada. Period. In fact, they will not even let you register a converted bike from out of state, unless it has the orange emissions sticker. So for example, if I bought a 450 that had been converted to street use, in another state, and the old owner had it previously refistered, and I brought it here, they would not let me register it here. It would have to be converted back to off road. How GHEY is that!
    My friend just bought a 08 Husky 610 in Cali. He brings the bike to the DMV because we have to have vin inspections done when we register vehicles from out of state. Anyway, he rolls up to the inspection station on a 08, they would NOT register it. They could not find the orange emissions sticker on the bike anywhere, so they would not register it for him. Bike has a Cat and a Charcoal canister and all they cared about was that orange federal emissions sticker. He went home and found the sticker, (found out it is under the seat on that bike) went back to the DMV, showed them and they registered it for him.

How come it says nothing about horns?

those are just suggestions right

Does anyone have any experience with new mexico or info about off-road to on-road registartion.

I want to street legal a E model DRZ in California. I have everything on it to make it appear street legal. what do i need to do to get a plate on it?

Quote Originally Posted by C.Jay View Post
    Horn, mirror and brake light for Montana, that is all.
    CR's, KX's and RM's with plates all around where I live, and all of the ranchers have plates on their four-wheelers, you oughta see the local cafe in the mornings on the weekends when all the ranchers meet up to have coffee.
    That is one of the many reasons I want to move to Montana! I love that state! What part do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by gettinback View Post
    What up guys, I always see a lot of post for people wanting to title their bikes and make them street legal, Iran across this site from the AMA that list all the requirements for different states, Hope it help some of y'all getting your bike legal.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp
    thanks for the link! unfortunately it was bad news. I had always thought florida didn't require turn signals - I was about to get an edge taillight. damnit.

Default Nevada

We have a new procedure here in Nevada.

www.dmvstat.com/pdfforms/vp254.pdf

I've yet to try it but from what i hear they've finally gotten their shit together. You still will want to show up with all your ducks in a row and BE CONFIDENT. If one of the gub'mint peons gives you a hard time, ask to talk to a supervisor.
    "I dont care how its done in California"

Default So...FL yes or no???

I have read thread after thread and didnt get a clear picture about registering an "off-road" bike in FL. I have an RMZ-450 and would love to get it plated in FL, anyone know exactly whats involved legally? Equipment wise i know whats needed im talking DMV wise. Thanks to all.
    If im not back in 5 minutes,just wait longer.

Quote Originally Posted by sferrari View Post
    We have a new procedure here in Nevada.

www.dmvstat.com/pdfforms/vp254.pdf

I've yet to try it but from what i hear they've finally gotten their shit together. You still will want to show up with all your ducks in a row and BE CONFIDENT. If one of the gub'mint peons gives you a hard time, ask to talk to a supervisor.
    That's great!

Here in Hawaii our titles now state "rebuilt" on them for dirtbike conversions though my 2001 Honda CR500 street sumo does not.

Anyone have a little information on TN registration? I'm looking to sale my MX bike and pick up a SM already converted.. any thoughts or input on this folks?
    Custom powdercoating
    - lowest prices guaranteed.
    www.ocoeepowderworks.com

Anyone Have any info on making a CRF450 Street Legal in Connecticut.

Quote Originally Posted by supertireguy View Post
    VIN Check.

If the VIN# on the bike in question has a "C" or "3" in the 8th position of the VIN number this normally flags the bike as a competition only model. Almost impossible to register for the street. Some folks get it done but it's a lot of work.

If the VIN does not have this "C" or "3" in the 8th position then it's easier to get it registered for the street.

Different jurisdictions have different rules.

Is that just Cali, or the nation? I want to motard a crf450, which the seller told me has been street legal in TX, but he got rid of the lights and registered or titled it as off road... makes me wonder if it was ever street legal, or he's saying it to sell since he knows I want something for the street. It has a "3" in the 8th place. Any help? thanks.

does anyone have any info for WV and dirtbikes with off road titles?